Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Metropolia UAS ACEI Evaluation
Alright, so I got a response to the appeal that I filed once again with the table of contents.

The response that I got was this:

Quote:Thanks for reaching out. I need a proper syllabus for each course to re-evaluate any change in course equivalence; what you have provided is not sufficient - please provide a syllabus.

Regards,

I think I'll just leave this situation as is since I won't be convincing TESU anytime soon without detailed syllabi of the courses that I took and considering the fact that Metropolia was unwilling to provide even one detailed syllabus for one of the courses that I took.
(01-09-2024, 12:02 PM)mariobros1985 Wrote: Alright, so I got a response to the appeal that I filed once again with the table of contents.

Quote:Thanks for reaching out. I need a proper syllabus for each course to re-evaluate any change in course equivalence; what you have provided is not sufficient - please provide a syllabus.

Regards,

I think I'll just leave this situation as is since I won't be convincing TESU anytime soon without detailed syllabi of the courses that I took and considering the fact that Metropolia was unwilling to provide even one detailed syllabus for one of the courses that I took.

Is it possible to contact the instructor of the course to ask for a syllabus? It's a basic thing that almost has to exist. It's probably just a matter of asking in the right place.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Tomas
(01-09-2024, 12:20 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 12:02 PM)mariobros1985 Wrote: Alright, so I got a response to the appeal that I filed once again with the table of contents.

Regards,

Is it possible to contact the instructor of the course to ask for a syllabus? It's a basic thing that almost has to exist. It's probably just a matter of asking in the right place.

I'll have to find the instructor's name and email first to ask them. Hopefully they have some sort of syllabus or could make one for me...
Mariobros, how was Data Structures and Algorithms in Python at Metropolia? Level of difficulty? Also, didn't you do Sophia's Python course to fulfill the Intro to Programming requirement at TESU? Can you confirm that that works?
(01-17-2024, 12:22 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Mariobros, how was Data Structures and Algorithms in Python at Metropolia? Level of difficulty? Also, didn't you do Sophia's Python course to fulfill the Intro to Programming requirement at TESU? Can you confirm that that works?
I didn't actually take the Python version, rather the Java version that was simply called "Data Structures and Algorithms". The version that I took doesn't seem to be offered anymore. In any case, you can access the Python version through the Metropolia version of Moodle if you already have an account with Metropolia. Here's the link with the instructions to access the course and many other courses as well (tell Viope Support to grade your course once you're done with it): https://users.metropolia.fi/~salja/nonst...op_ENG.pdf

The Data Structures and Algorithms course wasn't hard and Metropolia didn't seem to care whether you got the right answers or not or did the labs correctly, but they did ask for a 3-5 page learning diary. I think the Python version requires you to pass a final assessment and has no learning diary, though. Please check the requirements to pass the course in Moodle, though.

As for the Sophia course, I can indeed confirm that it came in as ITS-150 - Computer Programming I and satisfied the Intro to Programming requirement at TESU.

I hope this helped!
[-] The following 2 users Like mariobros1985's post:
  • Pikachu, Tomas
Did Metropolia change their fees recently or has that been moved back? Just wondering as someone mentioned in a previous thread that some institutions in the EU such as this Metropolia or XAMK option is no longer as affordable as before...
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Fees are still same, 15 EUR per credit, some free offerings remain, the 180 ECTS path also has same price as before.
Trouble is that only people with Finnish social security number can now get in (courses offered by their Open UAS).
(So far I think that University of Helsinki is probably an exception and might still allow sing-ups to their courses, informatics mostly.)
(01-17-2024, 02:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Did Metropolia change their fees recently or has that been moved back?  Just wondering as someone mentioned in a previous thread that some institutions in the EU such as this Metropolia or XAMK option is no longer as affordable as before...

Also, aside from what @Tomas commented, some courses actually became free after changing who Metropolia can admit to their Open UAS Nonstop courses. For example, the Robotic Process Automation course that I took used to cost €15, but now it's free (€0).

Aside from that, I saw here on their website that the Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology is increasing in price for non-EU/EEA students later this year.
You are right, that was outside of my interest but now I see the number of free courses increased quite a bit!
Let's see how things will develop. Perhaps it's not a "permanent ban" but a temporary status, they could just charge more if they think the fees don't cover their costs.
As for University of Helsinki, I think there's an incentive for them - they use their MOOCS for research (about how students learn), which is likely one of the reasons why they didn't close the doors yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Translation for the evaluation agency Throwmeaway1590 2 208 03-28-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,882 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Metropolia onboarding Sherwood 1 384 02-18-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 9 1,034 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 757 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 546 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,707 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Finland ECTS - WES Evaluation possible bjcheung77 2 554 10-07-2023, 04:38 PM
  ACEI Evaluation Fee whitenight 7 537 09-14-2023, 09:51 AM
  Metropolia University Identity Verification mariobros1985 8 1,409 07-11-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: mariobros1985