Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro bio, Sophia
I see it comes into UMPI as a UL. Would this and the lab count for 3C and 3E? I was considering this to knock out the GE requirement but also gain an UL course at the same time if that makes sense. I have human Bio and Chem. I know I can go back and do the lab but just looking at this as an option.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
I don't see why it wouldn't hit the spot, but it'll be easier just completing the Bio or Chem lab, and also taking this towards an elective UL requirement instead. This would be the two birds one stone you're wanting to do... For the BLS, you need 24 UL credits, 6 in the minor, as an example, you may want to take the UL Micro Bio, and then another UL, then finally finish it with the 4 classes that go towards the MAOL.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-05-2024, 09:00 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I don't see why it wouldn't hit the spot, but it'll be easier just completing the Bio or Chem lab, and also taking this towards an elective UL requirement instead.  This would be the two birds one stone you're wanting to do...  For the BLS, you need 24 UL credits, 6 in the minor, as an example, you may want to take the UL Micro Bio, and then another UL, then finally finish it with the 4 classes that go towards the MAOL.
Which 4 goes toward MAOL?

Also, I'd have to do 24 UL, is there an amount of those that have to be completed with UMPI. I see some say 12, some 15. Some 18! My goal is to only take the 10 classes needed at UMPI. My Minor courses are 4, which leave 6.

The rest I'll transfer in.
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
You can apply 3 of the 4 classes to the MAOL. See here. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...L)_at_UMPI
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Okay, I'll look into it. The way people talk about the MAOL and its mountains of writing...I might not do it lol
You might not... but you might! It's probably worth taking those classes just in case you're even halfway considering it. It cuts out 25% of the MAOL's classes that way.

Most Master's degrees are going to be even more writing than what UMPI makes students do. If a Master's degree might help you in the future, I think it makes sense to hedge your bets and take those classes to be safe.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-05-2024, 10:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You might not... but you might! It's probably worth taking those classes just in case you're even halfway considering it. It cuts out 25% of the MAOL's classes that way.

Most Master's degrees are going to be even more writing than what UMPI makes students do. If a Master's degree might help you in the future, I think it makes sense to hedge your bets and take those classes to be safe.
Okay, that makes sense.  I guess in my mind I wanted the WGU MSHRM , so I didn't really consider much else. I'll look at the MAOL again.
(04-05-2024, 08:19 AM)learningthehardway Wrote: I see it comes into UMPI as a UL. Would this and the lab count for 3C and 3E? I was considering this to knock out the GE requirement but also gain an UL course at the same time if that makes sense. I have human Bio and Chem. I know I can go back and do the lab but just looking at this as an option.

In the past, Microbio has not been accepted for the GEC.

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=223

But someone was able to transfer it in for the lab science at some point. This doesn't mean that it still is accepted though. The transfer database just shows how courses have transferred in the past. 

SOPH 0074
Microbiology
BIO 316
General Microbiology

SOPH 0075
Microbiology Lab
BIO 1XX
Biology Elective
GLO3:LOE

Human Biology with Lab on the other hand does fulfill the GEC requirements. We see people transfer it in all the time on Discord. It fulfills bot 3C and 3E. 

SOPH 0002
Human Biology
BIO 103
Human Biology
GLO3:LOC

[b]SOPH 0067
Human Biology Lab
BIO 1XX
Biology Elective
[/b]
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP, Pikachu
learningthehardway Wrote:Okay, I'll look into it. The way people talk about the MAOL and its mountains of writing...I might not do it lol

learningthehardway Wrote:Okay, that makes sense.  I guess in my mind I wanted the WGU MSHRM , so I didn't really consider much else. I'll look at the MAOL again.

WGU has equal if not more assessments and assignments, maybe even proctored exams, compared to UMPI. You're on a 'Business' path, from BOG AAS Business emphasis to BLS Management Minor, at the Masters level you're also going for a 'Business' degree but in a slightly different subject area - HRM vs OL. Either way you decide, you can't go wrong, you can always add certifications within the industry or additional grad certs to supplement your Masters if you go the other way later.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-05-2024, 11:45 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
learningthehardway Wrote:Okay, I'll look into it. The way people talk about the MAOL and its mountains of writing...I might not do it lol

learningthehardway Wrote:Okay, that makes sense.  I guess in my mind I wanted the WGU MSHRM , so I didn't really consider much else. I'll look at the MAOL again.

WGU has equal if not more assessments and assignments, maybe even proctored exams, compared to UMPI.  You're on a 'Business' path, from BOG AAS Business emphasis to BLS Management Minor, at the Masters level you're also going for a 'Business' degree but in a slightly different subject area - HRM vs OL.  Either way you decide, you can't go wrong, you can always add certifications within the industry or additional grad certs to supplement your Masters if you go the other way later.
Thanks! I appreciate it!

(04-05-2024, 10:31 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-05-2024, 08:19 AM)learningthehardway Wrote: I see it comes into UMPI as a UL. Would this and the lab count for 3C and 3E? I was considering this to knock out the GE requirement but also gain an UL course at the same time if that makes sense. I have human Bio and Chem. I know I can go back and do the lab but just looking at this as an option.

In the past, Microbio has not been accepted for the GEC.

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=223

But someone was able to transfer it in for the lab science at some point. This doesn't mean that it still is accepted though. The transfer database just shows how courses have transferred in the past. 

SOPH 0074
Microbiology
BIO 316
General Microbiology

SOPH 0075
Microbiology Lab
BIO 1XX
Biology Elective

Human Biology with Lab on the other hand does fulfill the GEC requirements. We see people transfer it in all the time on Discord. It fulfills bot 3C and 3E. 

SOPH 0002
Human Biology
BIO 103
Human Biology
GLO3:LOC

[b]SOPH 0067
Human Biology Lab
BIO 1XX
Biology Elective
[/b]

Yeah its odd. The the bio lab on the portal shows it comes in as a 3xx Elective. I have human bio and Chem. I'll take the lab for one the micro bio for the UL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Took Sophia ENG 2 after dropping out of ENG 121 Matthews - a review Marlin9276 0 76 Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Marlin9276
  Sophia credits not accepted mattbau43 21 785 05-10-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia Scores, Speed, and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 13 608 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 288 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  Bus 150 - Sophia didn't transfer layermonkey 5 386 04-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Full list of sophia courses that will transfer? And any Major recs? hexclep 1 337 04-07-2024, 06:10 PM
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 585 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 254 03-27-2024, 07:59 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,150 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 353 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM