Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie! Want to take French CLEP. Need advice and help!
Hello! I just found this site and really glad I did! I currently attend University of Cincinnati and I could possibly finally get my AA. However, a 2 semester 10 credit language my hold me back. I took the years of French in high school and I feel like I took to it well. I am really hoping to test out and get my credits I need in french so I can graduate on time. Graduation is in April though Confused Think I have a chance?? I guess out doesn't hurt to try? Have you taken the french clep? Can you tell me about your experience? How did you study? What helped the most ect ect?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oh yeah...and I am 22 so it has been a few since I took a formal french class. I have rosetta stone french...wonder if that is usful.

-Sara
Three years of french...sorry for typos. I am typing on my phone...don't have computer with me...and i just saw the sticky for "search first"...sorry! Im sure this question has been asked by now but again I am trying to read on my phone so I didn't see it :p
It's been awhile since I took the language CLEPs but there is a listening portion and a written portion- you don't actually have to speak during the CLEP (as incredible as that might sound). Find French news or other broadcasts online to get your ears re-accustomed to hearing the language and see if you can find a grammar book at your local library- preferably one for AP French.
Grammar and Vocabulary were definitely big things for me. My parents both speak french fluently, and often speak it in the home, but I didn't know a lot of vocabulary words that don't come up during norm. everyday conversations. I didn't know grammar either, apart from what sounded right.
Do take into consideration that if you score 60 or above you get the full 12 credits, but anything less down to 50, you'll only get 6.
Yes, it's a good idea to use books used for AP French, but look at the CLEP fact sheet to make sure you don't study a lot for types of questions that won't come up on the test.
The CLEP french has minimal grammar. It's mostly about reading and listening comprehension. If you can listen to say, a kid's french book on tape, and follow it, then you are probably OK. In highschool I lived in Switzerland, and learnt quite a bit of french, but it was just a 3 month period, and I took this exam about 8 years later with nearly no preparation and got the 12 credits...
It doesn't hurt to just try it, but be aware of your listening/reading comprehension. The test is about communication, not accuracy.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Thanks! My school requires a 65 for 12 credits. I will look for some AP French books and I have a international radio app I downloaded on my phone to listen to french news and broadcasts!
OE800,

Thanks! Very encouraging! I have three months to study so hopefully since I do have some background wth French already, thay is enough time to brush up and study for it! You are right: doesn't hurt to try! Smile As I am reading these forums I am finding this: it really depends on the individual so it is different for everyone. Some people are great test takers, some not. Some people have to study for months, some cram studying in an hour before the test and pass. For me, I am going to take three months and work hard and study! Right now I am optimistic...I hope that does not fade away, haha.
Oh, last thing before I forget. The listening section is horribly recorded and not very clear, and quiet. I lost a bunch of points because i didn't turn the headphones ALL THE WAY UP. Don't be stupid like me, make sure the volume is on full blast because those frenchies like to talk softly. You can't repeat any of the listening exercises!
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Whaaaaaat!? You can't hit the play button more than once!? Ahh! This makes me nervous. Does it actually have a "play" button that you can press when ready or does the audio pop out at you out of nowhere? Thanks for the tip. I will make sure I have my speakers up!
I took the french Clep very recently and I passed with a score of 76 and I was not pleased with the score because of the fact that I speak french i should have score more.... I lost my concentration somehow in the middle of my test specially on the listening part, they speak so fast and they will not repeat it, so make sure you really listen!!. You have to adjust the volume at the beginning because you cannot adjust when ever you want. I knew I was going to pass and because I do speak French, I did not study at all. Make sure also that the location you are taking the test have some brand new headphones because where I took it, they were too old and I had to keep pressing them against my ear to hear more. You can try it and the only tricking part is the listening in my opinion... good luck!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,480 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 767 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,703 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 551 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,319 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,116 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,904 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 891 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,130 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 764 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium