Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD top-up programs?
@FireMedic_Philosopher, It really depends on what that position in academia is... As mentioned, if you're looking to be just a lecturer, or if you have a Masters and/or DBA that is ACBSP accreditation for accounting or business related programs, you can teach at the community college or at the Bachelors level. I've seen community colleges ask for ACBSP and nothing less/lower than that, as I have never seen anyone ask for IACBE accredited programs, they prefer ACBSP or AACSB in addition to RA.

Now, most of your undergrad and graduate degree dealt with some type of 'administration' as I mentioned before. Your logical upward path would be to either stay in some type of 'administration' or switch it up to something different. Being an instructor or professor with the DSc at MGSU by itself should be sufficient for being a professor and teaching subjects related to Public Policy, Safety, etc. It may not be sufficient for 'administration' or business related courses as an applied DBA with ACBSP does.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-15-2024, 10:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP has a masters already, I'm thinking of merging this with the original thread about a doctoral program search here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...lic-Policy

An option for the PhD is a completion program, Walden PhD in Management (Completion), cost is about $20K and you can finish in 1.25 years flat.  If you wanted, I would choose to complete the DSc or something first, like a DBA, then 'top it up' with the PhD.

Walden's program is for those who didn't complete their doctorate, especially ABDs. Once your degree is conferred, your transfer options are limited. Some, if not most, schools will not accept transfer credits from a completed degree. 

Oklahoma State University has a 60-credit Doctor of Forensic Science that accepts up to 30 transfer credits from a master's degree. One can choose to focus on forensic psychology, which includes course options on the psychology of terrorism. The DFS also has an out-of state tuition waiver.

(03-15-2024, 07:01 PM)FireMedic_Philosopher Wrote: As of now, I am planning to begin the Level 8 this summer and have applied to the DSc program at  MGSU. . . The question was if I would need a PhD in addition to nab a position in academia.

You need a research doctorate with a dissertation. A DSc is actually equivalent to a PhD; it is a research doctorate. It's just not as common as the PhD. In some European countries, the DSc is higher than the PhD.

Something else just came to mind. When I was searching for Capitol Technology University graduates who had landed tenure-track positions, the DSc in Cybersecurity appeared to be the most common degree among them.

There might be some exceptionally rare case out there, but top-up degrees aren't really a thing in the U.S. The U.S. does have post-doctoral certificate programs for respecialization. Most of the ones I've seen are in psychology and business.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, NotJoeBiden

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 12 907 04-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 856 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 587 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,918 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,776 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Country Preview - Mexico Doctoral Programs bjcheung77 0 1,078 10-18-2022, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,349 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  List of DPA programs by Uni soliloquy 3 1,541 08-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  A choice of doctoral programs. Where will I end up? OldTimerStillLearning 12 2,180 02-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Last Post: withrown
  2 Distance Doctoral Programs in Portugal MrPanda 10 3,199 01-31-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: sarahmac