Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy
(02-27-2024, 09:27 PM)wildebeest Wrote: Kansas State has an online PhD in security studies. It is 90 credits, but 30 credits can be transferred in depending on your master's degree. That leaves, 60, 30 of which are dissertation research. If you were to transfer in 30, it would still cost $34,470 out of pocket, but that looks to be cheaper than the Missouri State option.

https://online.k-state.edu/programs/secu...doctorate/

Excluding DPAs and criminal justice PhDs really cuts out inexpensive doctorates. For instance, University of Illinois Springfield has a DPA with a policy analysis and program evaluation concentration that's incredibly affordable and University of North Georgia has a PhD in criminal justice with an intelligence concentration (with classes like Terrorism, Intelligence, and Homeland Security and Global Crime and Justice) that could be attained for about $303 per credit, or $16,362, assuming none of your master's credits transferred.

https://www.uis.edu/spmp/doctor-public-administration
https://ung.edu/degrees/graduate/crimina...on-phd.php

Not trying to change your mind, but suggesting that DPAs and criminal justice doctorates might be flexible enough to meet your needs if you find the right ones.

Good luck finding a program that works for you.
I am very familiar with the UIS program... Unfortunately their focus is very much on local government and labor relations. It is over-run with former Chicago activists and special interest lobbyists. They provide little to no work in my desired fields.
(02-28-2024, 12:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:BTW, would a different Doctorate work for you instead of National Security or Public Policy? The reason is, again, without your details, we don't know what can and can't transfer over.  One of the institutions you mentioned, Liberty allows up to 50% transfer, but the subjects taught at the doctoral level is going to be hard to find 'cheap' elsewhere... Hmm, something to think about.

Quoting my earlier post - In regards to Liberty and the 50% transfers, if you get a Level 8 UK Diploma, would that actually drop the class load up to 50%? I would email them and see what they say, the classes in the UK diploma should match, and I don't know what classes would actually transfer properly, it's something worth investigating as it can drop that degree down to under $20K or less.
I have attempted researching level 8 diplomas to see if it would be possible to do one and transfer it over. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I am seeing they appear to be 2-3 years in length. If I can transfer one to a university such as Liberty I might be saving money, but it seems that I would be significantly extending the duration of my studies.

Also, I am open to completing something such as a "DBA" but have never worked in "business" before but am horrible at math and have never had anything such as marketing, statistics, or probability during my studies this far. (save for one "intro" course to healthcare marketing during undergrad) How much of a handicap would that be?

One other consideration... not sure if I mentioned this before or not. Given my current profession, I work rotating 24 hours shifts and average 72 hours each week. Because of this, I would require ASYNCHRONOUS programs (something like a short 1 week residency I can manage)... However any synchronous program, like the DPA at UIS would not be something I could consider.
I don't think there is any handy cap at all, the Level 8 diploma is anywhere from 6-9 months if you can 'fast track' everything. You have 'admin' experience and previous studies, it shouldn't be too much, if any of a handy cap. I think you're fine as the Level 8 UK diploma is self-study... Here's an example, in my post #2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Questions
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In attempting to research a suitable program, I am having a hard time determining which ones are asynchronous. As I mentioned before, I am a firefighter and paramedic and due to my shifts cannot always be online at the same time on the same day week after week... So a fully asynchronous program is what I need. (Short in-person visits of a week or less to campus are fine).

So far I am looking at :
Liberty (open to DPA, PhD in Public Administration or PhD in Public Policy-National Security)
Valdosta (DPA)
Jacksonville State (DSc in Emergency Management)
Missouri State (DSc in Defense & Strategic Studies)
or Middle Georgia (PhD in Public Safety)

I am also completely open to a general PhD in management or leadership provided it is of a comparable price and most importantly... asynchronous.

Determining this is a lot harder than I thought.

I am also currently looking into UK level 8 certificates to cut down on cost Mr Cheung... Do you know of any offered in public affairs or public policy?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  $15000 Doctorate NA ashkir 133 17,530 Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Last Post: michaeladsmith2
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 15 1,442 04-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  32-credit doctorate in systems engineer? It's possible! sanantone 4 2,026 04-07-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA from EIU Paris - 2yrs total €5000 WES recognised as Doctorate? FrHaseKopf 5 520 03-17-2024, 11:15 PM
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 856 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 4,301 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 1,015 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  FREE doctorate in Economy & Government (in Spanish, in Spain) Kalas 1 519 01-26-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Help me pick my next doctorate! jfitzg8876 5 942 11-07-2023, 04:47 PM
  Open University of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv? kb24bi8 21 2,700 10-31-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Harry101