Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tellearning Maybe Ready for Primetime?
During the past several years, members of this board have been monitoring Tel Learning.  This organization has been avoiding the ACE and NCCRS credit recommendation system.  They have been partnering with colleges for transcription services.  The web site seems to attempt to avoid the actual transcripting colleges involved, but there appear to be several.  It seems like one of them is Excelsior College.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/1...ffordable-

I don't think that Excelsior transcripts all of the courses.  I remember reading about another partner college that I can't remember right now.  The web page reads like there are multiple colleges involved, which is not unusual.

The interesting piece is that Tel has biology, chemistry and physical science courses and several labs.  They also offer Latin.  The prices might be reasonable - $99 for a full course and $33 for a lab.  However, credit transcripting requires a $200 annual payment.  So this is kind of strange.  Also, it is not completely clear if lab kits are involved, which could increase price.

https://www.tellearning.org/
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • cecilgambe7
Yeah, their website is about as clear as mud. Trying to figure out the true price of credits has been...interesting to say the least. They've also have switched partnership schools several times (it went from EC to CCU to now Greenville U) in just 2-3 years. So I'm not sure what would happen if they changed in midstream while you were taking a class...you might be stuck in limbo. For that reason, I don't recommend them.

But it would be nice if they could get their act together, I like that they offer some different options.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43
I might be willing to roll the dice on TEL and guinea pig it. If it turns out legit, I am very interested in enrolling my stepdaughter in some classes.
The site now says that it's $200 per course, $67 per lab. I don't see anything about a transcripting fee (though I may have missed that). This could be a good option for COSC students who need a science-with-a-lab. Instead of eating up ACE credits, they'd get (relatively inexpensive) RA credits.
Except for Latin & Chinese I don't see anything here that wouldn't be filled more reliably and cheaper with CLEP, Straighterline, Study.com, etc...
(08-10-2020, 08:15 PM)Kalpa Wrote: Except for Latin & Chinese I don't see anything here that wouldn't be filled more reliably and cheaper with CLEP, Straighterline, Study.com, etc...

True; if you're going to be going to TESU or Excelsior. If you're going anywhere else, though, your ACE credits are going to be highly limited. COSC limits you to 90 non-RA credits. Other colleges are even more limited. Assuming these courses work, it might make sense to bring in some of these credits to save some ACE credits for UL courses which can be even more expensive.
(08-10-2020, 08:15 PM)Kalpa Wrote: Except for Latin & Chinese I don't see anything here that wouldn't be filled more reliably and cheaper with CLEP, Straighterline, Study.com, etc...

They aren't trying to compete with ACE I don't think, they're competing against other RA Schools.  If you're a homeschooler, looking at taking several courses each term, and getting them on an RA transcript, the price is very good, and these credits can transfer to a LOT more colleges than ACE credit.  THAT is who they're looking to get on board, not people doing ACE credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
(08-14-2020, 07:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

They aren't trying to compete with ACE I don't think, they're competing against other RA Schools.  If you're a homeschooler, looking at taking several courses each term, and getting them on an RA transcript, the price is very good, and these credits can transfer to a LOT more colleges than ACE credit.  THAT is who they're looking to get on board, not people doing ACE credit.

These are RA courses??
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-15-2020, 09:20 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: These are RA courses??

From what I can see, yes. They're somewhat like UEXCELS or TECEPS in because they're not technically alternate credit in the same way that SDC and SL are. You finish a course, one of their partner universities (there are two) will add it to your transcript. Kind of like how ASU's Earned Admissions/Freshman Academy works, come to think of it, except Tellearning is a third party.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(08-15-2020, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 09:20 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: These are RA courses??

From what I can see, yes. They're somewhat like UEXCELS or TECEPS in because they're not technically alternate credit in the same way that SDC and SL are. You finish a course, one of their partner universities (there are two) will add it to your transcript. Kind of like how ASU's Earned Admissions/Freshman Academy works, come to think of it, except Tellearning is a third party.

WOW!! This is amazing!!

To apply to COSC is possible again!!
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)