Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Duggars and CollegePlus
Daithi Wrote:Suppose you are falling behind on your mortgage, and unknown to you, your lender files a Notice of Default. A mortgage modification company sees the notice and gets in contact with you. They tell you that for $3,000 they can help save your home, because they have "partner" banks that they work with all the time. All you need to do is speak with one of their "loan advisors" to get the ball rolling. After paying their fee, you are instructed to gather some basic financial information that provides your current income, a reason why your financial situation changed, and what you are doing to get back on your feet. Your mortgage modification company then has you call a loan officer at the bank where you provide them with the information you were instructed to gather. The bank then agrees to modify the loan while you get back on your feet. Or the bank doesn't -- either way the mortgage modification company has done their best to help you. Of course you didn't need the mortgage modification company at all. You could have done everything yourself. Does any of this have a familiar ring?

I don't think it's bait and switch, I think they are doing what they are saying they'll do.

I'll tell you what. I'll do one on one advising/consulting/etc for anyone who asks. You can send me $1 and donate the remaining $2999 to MY favorite charity. I don't think anyone would ever take me up on because there is a perception of value when you PAY for something. Psych101. Smile *I learned that studying for my CLEP. LOL
sanantone Wrote:If that's the case, it's better to just attend any regionally-accredited university online. Many of them offer internship courses and will have better connections than CP. You say that CP encourages internships and apprenticeships; colleges actually set up internships and apprenticeships. $3,000 is a 6-month term at WGU where you can complete as many credits as you can at your own pace. They also have a list of what CLEP/DSST you can take to fulfill the general education requirements. $3,000 is about $1,000-2,000 less than a whole year at several state universities. If you're not looking to complete a degree as fast as possible, you might as well attend a traditional college. For about $3,500, I could complete 48 credits in one year at a local community college taking nothing but online courses. It's not as cheap as taking CLEP, even though they accept those, but at least that money would be getting me closer to completing a degree.

How can CP provide a quality education? I know they offer a few ACE-approved courses, but they aren't a college. You can get what CP provides in education from the library and MOOCs for free.
For Christian students coming out of homeschool, CP is there to work with them to help figure out options for the future. It's helpful to have their input as they've worked with many others in customizing degree plans. If you already know what you're going to do and don't need CP, fine and great for you. If you do, that's why they're there.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
That's why academic and career counselors exist and are employed by colleges.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
You know what? It all comes down to personal choice. Using a company with a Christian worldview like CP, or using an Acedemic counselor. Doing the research yourself or paying CP to do it. Using this Forum (which rocks, too, BTW) as a supplemental source or not. We are blessed by God to live in a capitalist society with a LOT of different options, and the freedom to use any and all of them. I'd rather people understand CP and appreciate that it works for some, and not say they "hate" it, or criticize people who endorse it.
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
You can always use an academic counselor at a Christian school. Big Grin
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If that's the route you want to go, sure. But CP has worked with TESC for a long time, so by going with those 2, you get the Christian worldview and the distance-learning degree using mostly CBE or transfer credits, which gives the flexibility that Christian homeschoolers especially appreciate. Sure, CP's not for everyone. But it really works.
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Seriously, what more needs to be said? I think the horse is dead. :leaving:
Yeah, this turned into a Off-Topic Debate real fast Rolleyes I guess the "I hate CollegePlus" in the OP just irks me...
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
YouTube

Best part starts at 02:25

"$1.50 in late charges at the public library" a hahaha....."or we can step outside, figure it out"

"My boys wicked smatt" hahaha
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:YouTube

Best part starts at 02:25

"$1.50 in late charges at the public library" a hahaha....."or we can step outside, figure it out"

"My boys wicked smatt" hahaha

"Well, I got her number. How do you like them apples?" <-- my favorite quote from the movie.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CollegePlus is Now Lumerit Education/Scholar sanantone 43 13,471 04-26-2018, 09:16 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  CollegePlus ACE accredited courses Westerner 23 3,117 09-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Westerner