Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA-HM first impressions and ongoing comments
dmjacobsen Wrote:One Master's down, one to go!

Congratulations on finishing your MBA Smile

It's a shame that you ended up having so many problems with that task, I had one of those for mine also but my mentor said that there was no requirement that it be an actual company in existence or one that I worked at. So I had a relative create an imaginary company (so it was technically their idea and thus they were the owner), we created its imaginary financial problems and all its numbers, and then I just interviewed her about changes she wanted to make, and worked from there.

The task that caused the most logistical problems for me in my MBA (IT concentration) at WGU was that my capstone also involved a group business simulation... and the group I was with was full of problem people. I ended up having to get an extension of time and permission to leave the group (and do all the group parts on my own) because the other group was unable to get it together and understand what they needed to do to score well on the simulation.

Like you said though, it's a check the box prerequisite degree for anything managerial, and the WGU experience makes it mostly painless.
Woohoo! Congrats!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Congrats!!!!!!!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Congrats!!
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Congratulations!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Now that you have your masters come join American College of Healthcare Executives | ACHE and earn your place as a fellow.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
txnicole Wrote:Congratulations on finishing your MBA Smile

It's a shame that you ended up having so many problems with that task, I had one of those for mine also but my mentor said that there was no requirement that it be an actual company in existence or one that I worked at. So I had a relative create an imaginary company (so it was technically their idea and thus they were the owner), we created its imaginary financial problems and all its numbers, and then I just interviewed her about changes she wanted to make, and worked from there.

The task that caused the most logistical problems for me in my MBA (IT concentration) at WGU was that my capstone also involved a group business simulation... and the group I was with was full of problem people. I ended up having to get an extension of time and permission to leave the group (and do all the group parts on my own) because the other group was unable to get it together and understand what they needed to do to score well on the simulation.

Like you said though, it's a check the box prerequisite degree for anything managerial, and the WGU experience makes it mostly painless.

Unfortunately, I had already completed about 80% of the project before I realized it was truly going to be a problem. I figured that it would go up the corporate ladder and, at SOME point, someone in the chain would realize... hey, ya know, it's a little excessive to take this through the IRB. But, nope. Bureaucracy is part of my organization's lifeblood.

As for the capim team, I had some problems as well. I was so worried that my team wouldn't pass, because we had a couple of people who just weren't getting it. But, after the practice rounds were over and we failed miserably, somehow we pulled it together and came out in the 96th percentile.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
rebel100 Wrote:Now that you have your masters come join American College of Healthcare Executives | ACHE and earn your place as a fellow.
If I were staying on the administration path, I'd definitely consider it. But, I'm back on the nurse practitioner path and will use this to 1) differentiate myself from other NP's who have little to no business knowledge and 2) enhance my ability to run my own practice once I get enough experience to do so.

Thought I'd mention that I got this a few days ago... Smile

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1480[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">oUlTnWY[1].jpg (Size: 89.98 KB / Downloads: 0)

Congratulations on your accomplishment.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]