Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my CS degree study plan: need help
Question 
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me. I know this probably gets asked a lot, and I've been through a few threads that have really helped, but I could do with a bit more clarification.

I'm currently enrolled at Thomas Edison, doing the BA in computer science. 
---------------------------------My Background--------------------------
Employed
Unemployed
Non-Employment Commitments
None
Educational Experience
I have a bachelor's degree (2012, BA, Educational Technology, Chinese University)(Focused more on education).
Goal
I want to apply for a CS master's program in Europe(traditional university, except Germany, maybe Holland, Belgium)
Catalog Year

I put the info on my Google Drive:  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I missed the cutoff for free TECEP, so sad!! (August 25th)
2. I found in another thread, that LevelUP said,  "The cheapest way to earn RA credit is through Finnish Universities, Tel Learning or TECEPS.", now TECEP is not free, and I don't know how to make my study plan.

I hope I can finish my CS degree in a fast and cheapest way and earn as many RA credits as possible, because I think RA credits will be more useful when I apply for a master's program in Europe
Thanks!
(08-30-2023, 08:08 PM)Felisa Wrote: Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me. I know this probably gets asked a lot, and I've been through a few threads that have really helped, but I could do with a bit more clarification.

Employed
Unemployed
None
Educational Experience
I have a bachelor's degree (2012, BA, Educational Technology, Chinese University).
Goal
I want to apply for a master's program in Europe(traditional university, except Germany)
Catalog Year
Relevant Credits Transferred from First Degree

My Background and Academic Evaluation
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I found in another thread, that LevelUP said,  "The cheapest way to earn RA credit is through Finnish Universities, Tel Learning or TECEPS.", now TECEP is not free, and I don't know how to make my study plan.

I just new here, and got my transcript evaluated, still confused about what to do next...  
Thanks!
You already have a bachelor's, get a Foreign Credential Evaluation from a NACES member and appy thru that.

If that fails, get a Level 6 certification in the UK and use that to apply to the masters.
@Felisa, Welcome to the board, that's a good introduction post, can you create a pdf or screenshot of your academic evaluation from TESU? You can then store it on your google drive like you did with your spreadsheet, make it viewable (not editable), and also make sure to remove any personal details at the top, we just need the program evaluation and all the other details underneath that, up to the 'other' and notes...

1) You missed the August 25 cut off for the September Term, but there have been reports that the October term is still allowing registrations and the cost is still FREE! Get the 5 easiest ones you need, again, send us the evaluation details and we can tell you what you should take... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid401346

2) Cheapest way to get the RA in fact are the cheapies/freebies mentioned about the Finnish institutions, you already have international equivalent, so you don't really need that, you want to decide on doing the 15 flat rate term or paying the residency waiver fee... I suggest the flat rate to get the BACS and BSBA CIS, two degrees!  https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Felisa, Pikachu
(08-30-2023, 08:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Felisa, Welcome to the board, that's a good introduction post, can you create a pdf or screenshot of your academic evaluation from TESU? You can then store it on your google drive like you did with your spreadsheet, make it viewable (not editable), and also make sure to remove any personal details at the top, we just need the program evaluation and all the other details underneath that, up to the 'other' and notes...

1) You missed the August 25 cut off for the September Term, but there have been reports that the October term is still allowing registrations and the cost is still FREE! Get the 5 easiest ones you need, again, send us the evaluation details and we can tell you what you should take... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid401346

2) Cheapest way to get the RA in fact are the cheapies/freebies mentioned about the Finnish institutions, you already have international equivalent, so you don't really need that, you want to decide on doing the 15 flat rate term or paying the residency waiver fee... I suggest the flat rate to get the BACS and BSBA CIS, two degrees!  https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Thanks!!!!
My evaluation details:  https://drive.google.com/file/u/1/d/1qJi...W09pd/view
@Felisa, Where are you in China, which city? You're a dog lover! Haha, Big Dog, is your dog a bigger dog or a different breed?  Anyways, you should go into your Academic Evaluation and create the BS CIS academic evaluation and post it the same way you did for the BACS.  Interesting... For the BSBA CIS degree, you may just need some basic business courses to complete for that as well.

Even though your main goal is the BACS, the BSBA CIS is 'almost free' and may not take you much energy or time.  There is only one recommendation so far, you have a CIS-3999 Electronic Technology that they have in the 'other field'.  That can be moved to your Group 1 (Not Started) as an elective for CS, even though it's in Electronic Technology, it's considered a CIS course, thus, it is usable!

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Felisa
(08-30-2023, 10:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Felisa, Where are you in China, which city? You're a dog lover! Haha, Big Dog, is your dog a bigger dog or a different breed?  Anyways, you should go into your Academic Evaluation and create the BS CIS academic evaluation and post it the same way you did for the BACS.  Interesting... For the BSBA CIS degree, you may just need some basic business courses to complete for that as well.

Even though your main goal is the BACS, the BSBA CIS is 'almost free' and may not take you much energy or time.  There is only one recommendation so far, you have a CIS-3999 Electronic Technology that they have in the 'other field'.  That can be moved to your Group 1 (Not Started) as an elective for CS, even though it's in Electronic Technology, it's considered a CIS course, thus, it is usable!

Haha, you do understand some Chinese characters!! Are you from Beijing? Now I live in Fujian Province, the southeastern part of China. Yes, I'm a dog lover, but I don't have any dog now, I hope when I move to Europe I can keep one dog, Shiba Inu or Labrador Retriever. Big Grin 
Thanks for your replies!!

1. About CIS-3999, I made an advisor appointment on 5th Sep,  hope he or she could help me move it as an elective for CS. (I updated it on my study plan.)  

2. About My Study Plan:  I found on another thread, the only TECEP course for BACS is Network Technology. 

I put my draft study plan on Google Drive My Study Plan
I am super confused about how to make my study plan.  Sad
(I want to have some CS-related RA credits on my transcript, I think it would be useful when I apply for a traditional CS master's program in Europe.)
My draft study plan is as below,
Maybe I pay 2 flat rate terms, 
On 1st term: finish the 5 remaining required CS courses + Network Technology TECEP --at TESU
                   Choose two CS elective courses   -- from other sources, maybe study.com, or some university providing RA credits 
On 2nd term: finish CS capstone, then graduate!
The total cost:  4299$*2= 8598$
Is it right? Could you give me any advice?

3.  I put my BSCIS academic evaluation on Google Drive Academic Evaluation-BSCIS
It doesn't matter what your previous Bachelor's degree was in. If you completed a Bachelor's degree, you are DONE with RA credits. Your gen eds and electives should be filled or waived with your previous degree. That leaves you with ONLY the classes left here to finish: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-31-2023, 06:56 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It doesn't matter what your previous Bachelor's degree was in. If you completed a Bachelor's degree, you are DONE with RA credits. Your gen eds and electives should be filled or waived with your previous degree. That leaves you with ONLY the classes left here to finish: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan
Thanks!!!

My study plan V1.0
On 1st term: finish the 5 remaining required CS courses(Programming/Calculus/Discrete Math/Operating Systems/Computer Architecture) + Network Technology TECEP --from TESU
                   Choose two CS elective courses   -- from other sources, maybe study.com, or some university providing RA credits 

My Questions:
1. Do the 5 required CS courses(Programming/Calculus/Discrete Math/Operating Systems/Computer Architecture) very difficult at TESU? How hard would it take to finish them together within one term? I am a bit worried...I have been unemployed, but I am worried that the courses would take too much time.
2. About CS elective courses, is it OK if I transfer some courses related about algorithm or Statistics from other providers? (I didn't find these 2 courses listed on the website you gave
 https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan)

Have a nice day!!!

(08-30-2023, 08:23 PM)elcastor21 Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 08:08 PM)Felisa Wrote: Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me. I know this probably gets asked a lot, and I've been through a few threads that have really helped, but I could do with a bit more clarification.

Employed
Unemployed
None
Educational Experience
I have a bachelor's degree (2012, BA, Educational Technology, Chinese University).
Goal
I want to apply for a master's program in Europe(traditional university, except Germany)
Catalog Year
Relevant Credits Transferred from First Degree

My Background and Academic Evaluation
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just new here, and got my transcript evaluated, still confused about what to do next...  
Thanks!
You already have a bachelor's, get a Foreign Credential Evaluation from a NACES member and appy thru that.

If that fails, get a Level 6 certification in the UK and use that to apply to the masters.
Thanks!!!
However, my first bachelor's degree focused on education instead of computer science.
Do you know some 6 certification programs in the UK, I hope to finish it within one year.
Do not complete Programming/Calculus/Discrete Math/etc. at TESU. Complete them as per the wiki.

Programming: Sophia or Study.com (Study.com recommended)
Calculus: Sophia
Discrete Math: Study.com
Operating Systems: Study.com
Computer Architecture: Study.com

I would not take the Network Technology TECEP. You don't need it, especially if CIS-3999 gets moved to your AOS. Network Technology is an extremely difficult exam with a very low pass rate. Instead, to fill out your UL credits, go with:

Computer Science 306: Computer Architecture at Study.com
Existing CIS-3999 if possible or Saylor's Software Engineering
Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design at Study.com
Computer Science 303: Database Management at Study.com
Business 303: Management Information Systems at Study.com

Do not take any TESU classes except for LIB-4950 Liberal Arts Capstone. The classes are not especially easy and it's not really worth it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Felisa, origamishuttle, Pikachu
Felisa Wrote:I am super confused about how to make my study plan.  Sad
(I want to have some CS-related RA credits on my transcript, I think it would be useful when I apply for a traditional CS master's program in Europe.)

My draft study plan is as below,
Maybe I pay 2 flat rate terms, 
On 1st term: finish the 5 remaining required CS courses + Network Technology TECEP --at TESU
The total cost:  4299$*2= 8598$
Is it right? Could you give me any advice?

I put my BSCIS academic evaluation on Google Drive Academic Evaluation-BSCIS

@Felisa, Why Europe? How about Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or here in the USA?  I would come here as the first option, second would be Canada/Europe, third would be Australia/New Zealand.  Your study plan should follow what Rachel83AZ mentioned, so update that in your spreadsheet, I would choose Sophia.org for the Intro to Java Programming along with Calculus I, and complete the remainder from Study.com and your total cost at TESU is the flat rate tuition for one term at $4299!!

Skip all your TESU courses on your spreadsheet and enter in Sophia.org/Study.com except for the capstone.  I looked at the BSCIS evaluation, you used the 'what if' option, you need to add that to your degree program list and have the waivers in place like your BACS does.  You should only need 30 or so credits for that as well, since you're paying for Sophia.org/Study.com, those credits are all very inexpensive and you get a second degree, it also fits your timeline of under 1 year for both degrees!

Invest in a second monitor to multi task if you don't have one already, I would start with Sophia.org and complete the Intro to Java Programming and Calculus I at the same time, then continue working on all the Sophia.org you see in this link, this would also have the CSM Learn (Intro to Algorithms, Quantitative Literacy) and Statistics that you're looking for as well: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...re_Roadmap

Total time & cost: 4 months at Sophia.org $299, 3 months at Study.com $420 (with 30% coupon), 3 months TESU flat rate $4299
Total time is 10 months, total cost is $5018, you get this done within a year and much cheaper than the two terms you said $8598!
Note: You need to add the cost to CSM and an extra Study.com course or two, if you add those together, it's a nominal addition.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Felisa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 22 1,405 05-12-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 5 375 04-29-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,589 04-26-2024, 09:25 AM
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 420 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 788 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 751 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 399 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 506 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 452 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 406 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM