Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA and International Student
Greetings DegreeForum!

After some absence due to work, I am back!  With the help of this forum and its wonderful members, I was able to graduate from Thomas Edison State University with a BSBA in CIS and GM for the September Period!

It was touch and go for a bit, but I was able to get in my last classes and rush for the transcript to be evaluated and accepted later on.

I am now looking towards doing a Masters in Business Administration, and wanted to see if anyone was in a similar situation to myself.

I am a Canadian Citizen residing in South Korea.  I have graduated from TESU without a GPA, and have the equivalent of two Associate's Degree from Canada with an evaluated GPA of 3.01.  I am seeking to do the MBA online, and had my heart set heavily towards Western Governor's University, except that they do not allow those not physically residing in the US or select areas of Canada to proceed ahead with the application process.

I was wondering what options may be out there for a timely completion of the MBA, or if alternative options to taking the MBA at WGU would be available?  The cost, self-paced nature, reputation and accreditation is very attractive on this end.

Cheers!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA in Computer Information Systems (120/120) and General Management (120/120)
First course started on June 1, 2017.  Last course finished on July 31, 2017.

Davar: ACC-101 • ACC-102 • FIN-301 • MAN-301 • MAN-372 • ECO-111 • ECO-112 • MAN-373 • CIS-301 • FIN-334 • LAW-201 • COM-209 • MAR-310 • MAR-330
ALEKS: STA-201 • MAT-121 • MAT-115 • MAT-129   Study.com: ENC-101 • ENC-102 • POS-110 • SOC-101
ACTFL: KOR-393   SOPHIA: HRM-299   Institues: PHI-384  TESU: BUS-421

There's Patten, Walden, and Capella. There are a couple of others that I can't think of right now.

I remember. Davenport University has a competency-based MBA. Argosy had one, but I don't know if it's still being offered. Out of all of these schools, only Davenport is non-profit, if that matters.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This thread post is perfect for you! I highly suggest the Hodges MIS and/or MPA.
http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...#pid243130

Here are my thoughts on Masters/PHD programs. You may want to read this too!
http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=27492

Masters programs I am looking at are 1) Patten MBA Finance at $2K/4 months, $4K/8months
2) WGU MBA OR MSML $3K/6 months - many forum members have completed this, it's popular
3) Hodges MIS $3K/6months OR MPA - it has IACBE programmatic/secondary accreditation

If you have money and time, I would suggest going for both Hodges programs in 1 year.
Finish MIS in 6 months for ~$3K and finish another MPA for ~$3K, two masters for price of one!
This is because you have a BSBA GM and CIS, ladder the GM to a MPA and CIS to an MIS!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-26-2017, 01:43 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: This thread post is perfect for you!  I highly suggest the Hodges MIS and/or MPA.
http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...#pid243130

Here are my thoughts on Masters/PHD programs.  You may want to read this too!
http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=27492

Masters programs I am looking at are 1) Patten MBA Finance at $2K/4 months, $4K/8months
2) WGU MBA OR MSML $3K/6 months - many forum members have completed this, it's popular
3) Hodges MIS $3K/6months OR MPA - it has IACBE programmatic/secondary accreditation

If you have money and time, I would suggest going for both Hodges programs in 1 year.
Finish MIS in 6 months for ~$3K and finish another MPA for ~$3K, two masters for price of one!
This is because you have a BSBA GM and CIS, ladder the GM to a MPA and CIS to an MIS!

The OP just said that WGU is not an option, and an MBA is better to have than an MPA if one is going to work in the private sector. The OP didn't mention wanting to get a master's in IS/IT/CS, so we don't know if that's what the OP wants or if it will even be relevant to the OP's future plans.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, jsd
Sanantone and bjcheung77,

Thank you for your information. I am still hoping to go with WGU somehow, as I will be returning home to Canada for a short while due to a business trip and wanted to see if I can complete the application process from home. WGU is extremely attractive as mentioned earlier, but unfortunately being located in S.Korea is preventing me from applying. Reputation, stability, known system, fellow members frm this forum being able to attest to their program, and more.

I am continuing to look into other schools, and I took a look at Patten University's website but it seemed to leave me a bit... wanting? Based on presentation. Additional information regarding the school has been less enlightening than WGU as well. However, as they hold regional accreditation, it is something I am considering looking towards if WGU remains out of reach for me.

Still have to look into Davenport, Capella, Walden and Hodges...
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA in Computer Information Systems (120/120) and General Management (120/120)

Davar: ACC-101 • ACC-102 • FIN-301 • MAN-301 • MAN-372 • ECO-111 • ECO-112 • MAN-373 • CIS-301 • FIN-334 • LAW-201 • COM-209 • MAR-310 • MAR-330
ALEKS: STA-201 • MAT-121 • MAT-115 • MAT-129   Study.com: ENC-101 • ENC-102 • POS-110 • SOC-101

Is your legal residency still in Canada? Or in S.Korea. I would think if you're still maintaining residency, you should be able to complete the application process, if not; I don't know.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
My legal residency is in Korea due to the length of time I have resided here. However, I believe they look at physical location which is why those of foreign citizenship residing in Canada/US can apply and go with WGU...

I would apply to WGU if it's your first choice (and because they've got the free application waiver going on...), see what they say. Ultimately, from the choices above that were already mentioned, decide if you want to go for an MBA that's got ACBSP or IACBE programmatic/secondary accreditation, or just "Plain Jane" Regionally Accredited.

Capella/Walden - ACBSP accredited, roughly $2200-$2500/3 months, if you finish in 6 months - that's $4400 for a MBA.
Davenport/Hodges - IACBE accredited, ranging from $3500 for 6 months to $4200/semester - $3500 at Hodges is cheap!
Patten MBA/WGU - Regionally Accredited, $2K/4 months or $4K/8 months or $3250/$3500 for 6 months

Capella Programs: https://www.capella.edu/capella-experien...-programs/
Capella Fees: https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/m...istration/
Walden Programs: https://www.waldenu.edu/experience/tempo-learning
Walden: https://www.waldenu.edu/masters/master-o...ition-fees

Davenport CMBA: https://www.davenport.edu/programs/busin...ration-mba
Davenport tuition: CMBA (Competency MBA; per semester including books, fees, and supplies) $4,196
https://www.davenport.edu/financial-aid/...n-and-fees
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you for the summary! At further review, it looks like Hodges seems to be the next hot contender. The ACBSP/IACBE accreditation does seem to be a nice-to-have, but I do not have a set future path as of yet; just wanting to further education for prospective employers. However, the cost and overall glimpse at the university does seem to be quite promising.

Capella/Walden has had comparatively poor reviews, and I remember seeing posts of those going towards Patten having disappeared somewhere down the line.

Looks like I will start the feeling process out with Hodges in the meantime! WGU told me no Sad

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it looks like Hodges does NOT offer the MBA via their Competency-Based System unlike their MPA. Though the website still does claim being able to finish in 1 year with a normal courseload, there is a restriction in place due to work that I cannot maintain consistent effort throughout the year which would not make this a good option for me. Sad

(09-27-2017, 07:58 PM)scoriae Wrote: Thank you for the summary! At further review, it looks like Hodges seems to be the next hot contender. The ACBSP/IACBE accreditation does seem to be a nice-to-have, but I do not have a set future path as of yet; just wanting to further education for prospective employers. However, the cost and overall glimpse at the university does seem to be quite promising.

Capella/Walden has had comparatively poor reviews, and I remember seeing posts of those going towards Patten having disappeared somewhere down the line.

Looks like I will start the feeling process out with Hodges in the meantime! WGU told me no Sad

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it looks like Hodges does NOT offer the MBA via their Competency-Based System unlike their MPA. Though the website still does claim being able to finish in 1 year with a normal courseload, there is a restriction in place due to work that I cannot maintain consistent effort throughout the year which would not make this a good option for me. Sad

I doubt there are many, if any, reviews for Walden and Capella's competency-based programs since those are relatively new. You're probably mostly reading reviews for their regular programs.

Those two are pretty well-known for-profits, so there will be a stigma attached to their names. Patten is also for-profit, but it's virtually unknown.

As for the MPA, that's why I mentioned that it's not interchangeable with an MBA . Hodges doesn't offer a Upower MBA program. MBAs work fine in the private and public sectors. MPAs are hard to sell outside of government and non-profit jobs.

Adams State University offers a self-paced, correspondence MBA. Tuition is $350 per credit hour.

https://www.adams.edu/extended_studies/g...ce-mba.php
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 6 180 Yesterday, 09:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,956 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,134 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 263 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Most affordable online Master in Finance for international student David1477 23 2,344 12-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Online MBA- potential student Love2LearnAlways 29 2,871 09-19-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Assessing the International Equivalency/acceptance of Online Degrees from the Big 3 Aimed 10 1,529 05-02-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: faresayari
  Which UK university offer the cheapest MBA top up for foreign student? soulblader 9 1,331 03-10-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: soulblader
  MBA International University of Malaya-Wales asianphd 18 2,193 11-29-2022, 11:33 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Bridge TEFL - International Diploma in English Language Teaching TESOL ($1,000) bjcheung77 25 4,666 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az