Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Graduation Journey
My previous plans have fallen apart, so I don't know if I can afford to graduate in March. I'm upset, and I need to do some planning now in case I still have a chance to graduate in March. 

What upsets me most is that my other plans will get delayed, not this specific degree. However, not having the degree for 3 more months could mean that I lose an opportunity or two.

I'm trying to get some side work, but I'm worried that I'll end up being too busy to study. It's a chance I have to take.

This is what I have left, besides a couple small fees for transcripts:

Residency waiver, $1800: I believe they will give me an extension, but only until about Jan 15th. Does anyone know how exactly how long I could get? And when do I ask for this extension, a few days before Christmas so they have time to respond before they close?

Graduation fee, $323: Due with or shortly before my application is submitted. So is the latest January 1st, or I probably have to submit on a day that the office is open just in case I need to call?

Study.com, $199: I don't actually need this to graduate, but I'm really hesistant to skip this, because I want to take a course that loses UL status this year, toward my future plans.

2 TECEPs, $234: Would TESU allow me to register for these in mid to late Dec, and take them early Jan?

CSU-Global CBE, $250: They told me tomorrow is the last day to register for Fall, and that I would have to take it by Dec 3rd. Or, I could ask to be moved to the Winter term, I guess. They said I wouldn't have to pay until I took the exam, but I'm guessing she gave me somewhat vague info, and that I have to pay when I register? I cannot pay before Dec 1st at the earliest. Does anyone know exactly when I would pay? I think I will have to be moved to Winter, but I'm nervous about getting this completed in time.

I don't want to drop or change my second BSBA concentration. I would rather graduate later. 

I figure that I'll find a way to pay for the CBE, TECEPs, and Study.com as long as I don't have to pay any very soon. Then hope that I have enough for the graduation fee, and apply, just in case I can raise the rest? Is there any downside in applying with the hopes of raising the money?

The only downside to applying for graduation now is paying the graduation fee now. If you fail to graduate in March, they will roll you over to June.

The TECEPs are a bit of a problem. You are not supposed be allowed to apply for graduation if you aren't already registered for the Nov term. There's no actual problem with registering for the Jan term and taking them in Jan, though. You might get away with letting them think you will be transferring the credits in from outside, then registering and taking them before anyone has time to object.

As far as CSU-Global, you would have until mid Feb to get it transferred into TESU for March graduation. So doing the Winter session shouldn't be a problem.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-26-2017, 10:39 PM)davewill Wrote: The TECEPs are a bit of a problem. You are not supposed be allowed to apply for graduation if you aren't already registered for the Nov term.

Thank you. Maybe I will register for the Dec term and put CSU-Global off until January if necessary. Although I understand that you're saying the Dec term isn't officially okay either, but I feel it's a little safer.

(11-26-2017, 10:39 PM)davewill Wrote: The only downside to applying for graduation now is paying the graduation fee now.

Do you know what date the graduation fee would have to be paid? I'm nervous about waiting until the last minute because sometimes I need their assistance on the phone (or through a ticket).

(11-27-2017, 12:26 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 10:39 PM)davewill Wrote: The only downside to applying for graduation now is paying the graduation fee now.

Do you know what date the graduation fee would have to be paid? I'm nervous about waiting until the last minute because sometimes I need their assistance on the phone (or through a ticket).
You have to pay it at the time you submit your application to graduate. No leeway.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

I decided to pay Study.com. I really want to graduate on time, and I am worried about this. I need to recap my plan:

1) Ask them to give me a residency waiver extension. (I still don't know how long they would give me. Until mid January?) I don't know when I need to ask. I am guessing Dec 15-20.

2) Pay $323 graduation fee and apply for graduation on Dec 20-21. (I think that's the latest since they seem to be closed Dec 23rd-Jan 2nd for the holidays. I don't want to wait until the very last day.)

3) Register for 2 TECEPs for Jan term ($234). I don't know when is the absolute latest I need to do this. Could I register online on Dec 30th? I had trouble figuring out how to pay for the exams last time. The payment got credited to the wrong term, but they were able to manually adjust it for me when they saw I had submitted registration before the 1st. I'm not sure if this would be risky. Taking the TECEPs at the start of Feb term is probably not ok due to the grading time.

4) CSU-Global CBE, $250. Pay and take it sometime in Jan, as early as possible. Dec would be more ideal, but I really want to pay for the TECEPs early if possible.

5) Pay the residency waiver and order a transcript from CSU-Global.

The last day of regular registration for Jan term is Dec 16. Late registration runs through Jan 1. I could not figure out what, if any, late fee applies to TECEPs.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/Undergrad-Calendar.cfm

(12-06-2017, 11:01 PM)davewill Wrote: The last day of regular registration for Jan term is Dec 16. Late registration runs through Jan 1. I could not figure out what, if any, late fee applies to TECEPs.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/Undergrad-Calendar.cfm

I was never charged a late fee for TECEPs, but I had a lot of issues with payment when waiting until the last minute. I don't like this, but may not have a choice.

I am tempted to graduate without the Finance concentration after all Sad

But it reminds me of the decision I recently made about Study.com courses. I feel like I already regret paying Study.com since it makes my financial situation harder and more stressful, but that it was the better option. If I didn't, I think I would've regretted that for years.

It's just the money. It's less than $500 more to finish the Finance concentration, but that's a lot right now since I'm paying the graduation fee and (hopefully) the residency waiver.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • originalamyj
I still need more info on the residency waiver deadline. Can anyone tell me more? It seems like if I "forget" about the waiver fee, and wait until review me for graduation, that I would have more time to pay. Is this true? Or they will remind me of this much sooner, right?

I can pay the waiver in Feb, or probably late Jan. Mid Jan is what is really tough for me, and I'm afraid I will miss the deadline by just a few days. I really don't want to just miss it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU graduation dates tobyisking 19 5,367 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU - Applying for Graduation dexter1326 3 1,684 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Have the audits for September graduation (TESU) happened yet? leland.kirk 6 1,971 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,077 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  June graduation Paramedic12 3 1,175 06-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: TacticalTechie
  Can I go ahead and get the residency waiver and graduation fee taken care of? leland.kirk 35 6,187 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: MSK9
  TESU transcript post graduation Paramedic12 5 2,042 05-31-2018, 11:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Graduation Audit Timeline & Missing course dfrecore 8 2,017 05-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Last Post: mudball
  When is the "conferral date" for graduation at TESU? leland.kirk 2 1,328 05-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  June graduation Paramedic12 3 1,319 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Paramedic12