Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Distance Doctoral Programs in Portugal
(01-31-2022, 08:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You can also check the course list and click the course content to see what they say, from reading these... seems like it's Natural Science & Social Science, a mix and match of a few sciences in fact... Then, there are other courses bunched in...  Here's what I see from the study plan link: https://www.iscte-iul.pt/course/65/phd-p.../studyplan

Advanced Topics in Complexity Sciences I - Objectives
Students will develop competences regarding the study of complex systems and the modelling techniques proposed by mathematics, physics, and biology. This discipline proposes discussing the state of the art in these domains, concerning the study of complex systems observed in nature.

Advanced Topics in Complexity Sciences II - Objectives
Students will develop competencies regarding the study of complex systems and the modelling techniques proposed by human and social sciences, namely economics, sociology, anthropology, and psychology. This discipline proposes discussing the state of the art in these domains, regarding the study of complexity observed in social and human systems.

As someone who has done work in complexity science, and has colleagues working on network problems, it is not linked to any specific knowledge domain because it is a toolset. Just like data science and analytics can be used across various other subject areas. If I had to boil it down: mathematical modelling and networks and systems. You could apply that sort of structured systems thinking to anything, just like you could do a statistical research project on anything.

--

Also a cautionary word to those interpreting what appears to be liberal admissions requirements regarding previous study. In Europe if you want to study a quantitative subject at university, you must do the equivalent of at least Calc 1, 2, 3 or so in highschool, along with Stats 1 and 2 or Discrete Math 1 and 2, or Mechanics (i.e. physics math). That is the admission requirement, and the first courses in the first year of BS Math, for example, are typically Real Analysis 1 and Linear Algebra. Thats a UK link, but thanks to the Bologna process its pretty standardised across Europe (hence the ECTS!).

I don't want to dissuade you - actually the flexibility of the US system means if you're currently enrolled you can add those math courses to your transcript. My point is more, that movement between subject areas later is a lot easier, because it is presumed that to get into a scientific or quantitative bachelor in the first place you already studied those things. So there won't be any sort of specific degree requirement because anyone can sidestep into the computational and analytical sciences if they have the math background for it. It is just important to know that as an overseas applicant, they will go off of your transcript to make sure you're suitably prepared.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • MFG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PhD top-up programs? FireMedic_Philosopher 11 454 03-15-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 713 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 484 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spain Inter-University Doctoral Programme in Business & Management durain 3 759 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  advice sought on doctoral program EducationSeeker 9 1,204 10-29-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Dr.Philos. – another route to a Norway doctoral degree durain 0 491 10-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: durain
  Doctoral Degree ThatBankDude 10 3,167 08-26-2023, 07:01 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,819 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  Country Preview : Online/Distance doctorate degrees in the PI. bjcheung77 3 2,185 04-02-2023, 04:48 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,634 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone