Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
200m bronze medalist online or extended campus student?
We're kind of going in circles here.

It's surprising because it's one of the top schools in the country, well known and world renowned.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-07-2021, 10:57 AM)jsd Wrote: We're kind of going in circles here.

It's surprising because it's one of the top schools in the country, well known and world renowned.

That still doesn't mean everyone has heard of it. I mean how many people on here know much about Dartmouth? Probably not many.

(08-06-2021, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: As JSD said, people are not going to be familiar with the vast majority of colleges and universities, but not knowing about University of Texas at Austin would be kind of strange. I live in Texas and have a degree from University of Florida. UF doesn't have as much of a world reputation as UT-Austin does, but I haven't come across Texans who have never heard of UF, even among those who don't watch college sports. 

Regardless, top employers and recruiters definitely know about UT-Austin, which is what ultimately matters. They are in the top 5 among feeder schools at three of the Big 4 accounting firms.

It's not strange at all. Not every circle discusses this school. No one talks about Florida here either. Again thousands of miles away. 

The Big 4 accounting firms aren't located in many areas of the country. Most of us aren't working or desire to work in accounting either. Earlier you were talking about them being an engineering school and now they're an accounting school. We get it. You love the school. Accept that there are people who have never heard of it and there are people out there who don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's no perfect school out there. They all have issues.
I would be even more surprised if someone hadn't heard of Dartmouth.

It's not some huge deal and I'm not criticizing you for not having heard of the school, it's just surprising is all. It doesn't need to be an argument.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

The first time I've ever heard of most of these so-called "world renowned" universities is here. Maybe they are world renowned in certain circles but not everyone knows them. For instance, Arizona State has great space and anthropology programs. But I wouldn't expect them to be well-known with the average person.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
Dartmouth is literally an ivy league school.

Arizona I can't really speak to, I live close enough to it that hearing of it by proximity would make sense.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Have you all heard of the schools I attended? (In my signature). They are all extremely well known in the area where I grew up. It would be insane if you haven’t. Literally everyone I know there has heard of them. How about Baldwin Wallace? That’s pretty common around here…

(I’m going to guess few people actually know those schools well. Especially if they live nowhere near Pennsylvania and Ohio. I’m just being silly).
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
Haha... Likewise, I don't expect anyone to have heard of TESU or my community college, nor WGU except for those who have been subject to WGU's sometimes aggressive advertising. 

I live in a "college town" as well, but I'd be shocked if any of you not very local had heard of the two main universities in the area

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(08-07-2021, 01:53 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Have you all heard of the schools I attended?  (In my signature). They are all extremely well known in the area where I grew up.  It would be insane if you haven’t. Literally everyone I know there has heard of them.  How about Baldwin Wallace?  That’s pretty common around here…

(I’m going to guess few people actually know those schools well.  Especially if they live nowhere near Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I’m just being silly).

I never heard of USF until someone shared the diversity certificate program on here. I've never heard of the other colleges in your signature and I live in NY so right next to Ohio and above Pennsylvania. Probably dozens of colleges here you haven't heard of either. That's how it is. These things are typically regional.

Clearly, knowing about CLEP doesn't translate to knowing which schools in your country are world renowned.

(08-07-2021, 12:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

That still doesn't mean everyone has heard of it. I mean how many people on here know much about Dartmouth? Probably not many.

(08-06-2021, 05:16 PM)sanantone Wrote: As JSD said, people are not going to be familiar with the vast majority of colleges and universities, but not knowing about University of Texas at Austin would be kind of strange. I live in Texas and have a degree from University of Florida. UF doesn't have as much of a world reputation as UT-Austin does, but I haven't come across Texans who have never heard of UF, even among those who don't watch college sports. 

Regardless, top employers and recruiters definitely know about UT-Austin, which is what ultimately matters. They are in the top 5 among feeder schools at three of the Big 4 accounting firms.

It's not strange at all. Not every circle discusses this school. No one talks about Florida here either. Again thousands of miles away. 

The Big 4 accounting firms aren't located in many areas of the country. Most of us aren't working or desire to work in accounting either. Earlier you were talking about them being an engineering school and now they're an accounting school. We get it. You love the school. Accept that there are people who have never heard of it and there are people out there who don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's no perfect school out there. They all have issues.

I said that Texas A&M is an engineering school. UT-Austin is a main feeder school to the Big 4 accounting firms, which happen to be headquartered in New York.

(08-07-2021, 01:53 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Have you all heard of the schools I attended?  (In my signature). They are all extremely well known in the area where I grew up.  It would be insane if you haven’t. Literally everyone I know there has heard of them.  How about Baldwin Wallace?  That’s pretty common around here…

(I’m going to guess few people actually know those schools well.  Especially if they live nowhere near Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I’m just being silly).
Are any of those schools ranked in the top 50 or top 100 in the world? No.

My relatives in Maryland, Illinois, and Missouri have heard of UT, and most of them don't have college degrees.

(08-07-2021, 02:07 PM)jsd Wrote: Haha... Likewise, I don't expect anyone to have heard of TESU or my community college, nor WGU except for those who have been subject to WGU's sometimes aggressive advertising. 

I live in a "college town" as well, but I'd be shocked if any of you not very local had heard of the two main universities in the area
I have a degree from Angelo State University, and I don't even expect everyone in Texas to have heard of it. It would be silly to compare a Podunk State University to a world renowned university. I don't know why it's so hard for people to admit that they're sheltered when it comes to higher education. Not everyone is living under a rock.

(08-07-2021, 12:25 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The first time I've ever heard of most of these so-called "world renowned" universities is here. Maybe they are world renowned in certain circles but not everyone knows them. For instance, Arizona State has great space and anthropology programs. But I wouldn't expect them to be well-known with the average person.

While ASU is not ranked as high as UT-Austin, it does have one of the largest international student populations. It is strange that tens of thousands of international students have found these big state universities, but some Americans who proclaim to be interested in higher education have never heard of them. I would bet the people participating in this thread are not representative of the general population. The general population may not have heard about Study.com, which is to be expected, but they've heard the names of major state universities. You pretty much have to not watch, read, or listen to the news your entire life to not have heard of them. 

The funny thing is that Texas A&M and UT-Austin are ranked high in many different fields. UT-Austin is known for its overall academics, not just one field.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-07-2021, 04:04 PM)sanantone Wrote: I said that Texas A&M is an engineering school. UT-Austin is a main feeder school to the Big 4 accounting firms, which happen to be headquartered in New York.

While ASU is not ranked as high as UT-Austin, it does have one of the largest international student populations. It is strange that tens of thousands of international students have found these big state universities, but some Americans who proclaim to be interested in higher education have never heard of them. I would bet the people participating in this thread are not representative of the general population. The general population may not have heard about Study.com, which is to be expected, but they've heard the names of major state universities. You pretty much have to not watch, read, or listen to the news your entire life to not have heard of them. 

The funny thing is that Texas A&M and UT-Austin are ranked high in many different fields. UT-Austin is known for its overall academics, not just one field.

There's faaaaaaaaar more to NY than NYC. NYC is a tiny island. The state is HUGE in land area. I live 6 hours away from NYC. I couldn't tell you about 99% of what happens there. Why? No one in Upstate NY gives a rat's behind about NYC. We'd happily give it to Jersey. 

Has it occurred to you that your relatives know of the school from you?

I had heard of ASU long before I found this forum because ASU has been advertising on social media for eons. 

I've attended several colleges in different states. I doubt anyone outside of those areas would have ever heard of them. I don't give people a hard time because they don't know what they are. At the end of the day, no one cares.

Seems like most people on here actually know more colleges than the general public. Know why many schools have large international student pops? Here's how they do it. They hire recruiters who go to these countries and recruit the students. Much like pro sports. They're drafted essentially. Why? Foreign students pay cash. No financial aid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 13 302 04-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 18,890 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 9 317 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 333 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 2,037 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 369 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 652 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 558 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 739 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 411 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem