Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
27 credits for $150? The lowdown on WGU Academy
Information 
After this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...el-courses
I spoke with a representative from WGU Academy and he was tremendously helpful and willing to answer every question I had. It does seem that it's just rebranded straighterline with the addition of the required PACA course and some IT cert courses. If someone wanted to go with straighterline and happened to need the courses offered, it seems like it would be a good economical way to achieve that goal IF they were able to go through the courses in 1-2 months. I also think that if someone already has background knowledge/experience/aptitude with IT subjects, it could be a cost saving way to get their CompTIA A+ cert IF they could get through it all within 1-2 months. Obviously, choosing WGU Academy for the purpose of just getting a cert or some credits does come with the caveat that you have to do the PACA course which involves weekly live sessions that are scheduled, phone calls and some assignments, none of which is worth credit.
Quote:We are pretty close to the same set up as Straighterline, but our cost is better because we don’t charge per course, just the $150 per month, no matter how many courses you complete or resources you use. As for your main question, you can stick with the IT track, but you can add any course onto your time with Academy without switching to a different track. Here are all of the courses we offer and obviously, some you know are already in the IT track:

English Composition I
Communications
United States History
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics
Introduction to Biology
General Chemistry I
American Government
Psychology
MTA Software Development Fundamentals
MTA Networking Fundamentals
MTA Database Fundamentals
COMPTIA A+
Precalculus- you could take this course, but it is meant to meet the admission requirements for the B.S. Computer Science and does not transfer for credit.

Also, with the Certification courses, we will cover the cost of one certification exam (2 for the CompTia A+) so if you wanted to do other certification courses, you would need to go out-of-pocket for the other cert exams.

Quote:As for English being required, if you already have it, we will waive that as a requirement. We do not want you to have to retake anything!
Quote:You are correct, all competency based, self-paced, and PACA is the only course that is not exactly self-paced (due to the weekly sessions).

Also, yes, you can work on everything at the same time, we don’t want anyone to waste time waiting for the next course to open!  
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
That is a really good deal for some people, and the credits are from an RA school.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just read the FAQ, it is not accredited!  So you can't transfer these courses anywhere other than WGU.

It's kind of sneaky, but at the same time, if you were already planning on going to WGU, this might be a good option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake
Q:
Will my Academy courses transfer to other schools?

Quote:Yes, in many cases. Through our partnership with course provider StraighterLine, most Academy courses have been reviewed by the ACE Credit Recommendation Service. ACE CREDIT’s College and University Network is a group of more than 2,000 higher education institutions that consider ACE credit recommendations for transfer to degree programs. Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) and CompTIA certification courses for the WGU IT school receive credit in transfer to WGU, but are not yet currently eligible for the ACE network or an ACE transcript.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(05-08-2019, 02:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So you can't transfer these courses anywhere other than WGU.

WGU or other places that accept ACE recommendations Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-08-2019, 02:59 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 02:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So you can't transfer these courses anywhere other than WGU.

I couldn't quite figure that out: so are they on a WGU Academy transcript?  Or do you send them to ACE from WGU Academy?  I'm totally confused by this.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sorry, but what is PACA?
(05-08-2019, 03:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I couldn't quite figure that out: so are they on a WGU Academy transcript?  Or do you send them to ACE from WGU Academy?  I'm totally confused by this.

That's a good question.

(05-08-2019, 06:54 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Sorry, but what is PACA?

"
Program for Academic and Career Advancement
PACA101
The Program for Academic and Career Advancement (PACA) course helps students develop vital skills for academic success that can also translate to achievement in their career. Focusing on building self-reflective awareness, students examine how their own behaviors and mindsets influence their ability to attain their goals. Utilizing the skills and strategies learned over multiple online sessions, students will create a plan of action that will help them to move forward on their student and professional journey with confidence and persistence."

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(05-08-2019, 03:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Sounds like you're just sending a straighterline transcriptpt: "Through our partnership with course provider StraighterLine, most Academy courses have been reviewed by the ACE Credit Recommendation Service"
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(05-08-2019, 09:25 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 03:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I couldn't quite figure that out: so are they on a WGU Academy transcript?  Or do you send them to ACE from WGU Academy?  I'm totally confused by this.

Sounds like you're just sending a straighterline transcriptpt: "Through our partnership with course provider StraighterLine, most Academy courses have been reviewed by the ACE Credit Recommendation Service"

So this is just a cheaper way to get SL courses?  Ok, well I do like that option, if someone wants to take a bunch of SL courses.  Unfortunately, you're limited on which ones you can take, so it's not like you can load up on them - a lot of people will already have some of those particular courses.  But it's still a nice option.
Q:
Will my Academy courses transfer to other schools?
A:
Yes, in many cases. Through our partnership with course provider StraighterLine, most Academy courses have been reviewed by the ACE Credit Recommendation Service. ACE CREDIT’s College and University Network is a group of more than 2,000 higher education institutions that consider ACE credit recommendations for transfer to degree programs. Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) and CompTIA certification courses for the WGU IT school receive credit in transfer to WGU, but are not yet currently eligible for the ACE network or an ACE transcript. Which courses are transferable is ultimately determined by the receiving school and any articulation agreements it has with other course providers. Because WGU Academy is primarily set up to articulate with WGU, if your primary goal is to attend some other school, make sure the courses will transfer. An Academy Enrollment Counselor may be able to help, but we can’t make specific promises about other schools’ transfer policies.

-------------

https://academy.wgu.edu/program/it
------------------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 168 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 176 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,154 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 623 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 593 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,370 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,071 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 642 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,401 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az