Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2U Buys edX
I guess this could be a big deal
What the edX Acquisition Means for the Future of Higher Education (hbr.org)
I'm not someone jumping for joy over this. i actually think it's kind of disappointing. I really liked that edX was owned by colleges/universities. Now it will just become a profit center for another tech company.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, harrypotter, jsd
(07-17-2021, 09:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I'm not someone jumping for joy over this. i actually think it's kind of disappointing. I really liked that edX was owned by colleges/universities. Now it will just become a profit center for another tech company.
I agree. While I think edx continued to fail to deliver on some of their aspirations(like the micro bachelor program) I did like the idea of a edX being owned/run by mit/Harvard as a non profit.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Coursera is for-profit and still allows the schools to have autonomy in designing their courses. 2U makes canned courses, so I hope they don't plan to give edX member schools canned courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
One thing that set edX apart from Coursera was that it was owned by MIT/Harvard. There are certificate programs on edX that allow you to transfer into graduate programs at several hard to get into schools like MIT and RIT. I was looking at the PM cert from RIT on edX because if I get a B in the cert then I can get into the pm grad program at RIT. Now with this sale I will wait awhile and see what happens. I'm not ready to jump in that's for sure.
Dhawal Shah at Class Central has a good analysis of this: https://www.classcentral.com/report/2u-e...-analysis/
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • Pikachu
(07-20-2021, 09:54 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: Dhawal Shah at Class Central has a good analysis of this: https://www.classcentral.com/report/2u-e...-analysis/

He brings up many excellent points. One that really has my head spinning is that the $800 million is tax free and part of it will launch MIT's new online platform which again is a non-profit so no taxes once again. $800 million to Harvard and MIT....tax free.....Both have endowments in the multiple billions.
(07-21-2021, 09:42 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 09:54 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: Dhawal Shah at Class Central has a good analysis of this: https://www.classcentral.com/report/2u-e...-analysis/

He brings up many excellent points. One that really has my head spinning is that the $800 million is tax free and part of it will launch MIT's new online platform which again is a non-profit so no taxes once again. $800 million to Harvard and MIT....tax free.....Both have endowments in the multiple billions.

I have no problem with that at all. Being non-profit is not at all the same thing as not accumulating resources to take on big projects.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
The 2U purchase of edX is now complete.  This is an article on the purchase process as well as what's next.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2021...e-platform
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Pikachu
Here's more background on the sale but also some additional info on where the CEO of 2U wants to take it in the future.
With purchase of edX, online higher ed company 2U bets big on power of a brand - The Washington Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University Buys land, wait 5 years, sell it back for 2.5x profit... bjcheung77 0 505 05-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Universal Technical Institute buys Concorde Career Colleges bjcheung77 0 426 05-16-2022, 02:16 PM
  APEI buys Graduate School USA bjcheung77 0 541 01-17-2022, 05:43 PM
  Univ of Florida buys In-State Scripps Assets for $100 bjcheung77 3 769 12-13-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Johann
  APEI buys Rasmussen Alpha 12 1,371 09-07-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  American Public buys Rasmussen U! bjcheung77 8 1,925 12-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Princeton Review buys Penn Foster College perrik 0 852 10-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Last Post: perrik