Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Bachelor vs Masters....both?!
Good day, all.

I'm mid-way through my bachelor's degree in accounting from UMPI and am looking ahead in my education. I was considering applying for a second bachelor's degree in Business, Management and Leadership concentration, and then moving along to an MBA of some type but am now wondering if there is any advantage to having that second bachelor's degree and if I should instead just focus on the MBA? 

I believe there would be quite a bit of overlap between the two degrees and I would likely end up having to repeat some of the courses that I transferred in, in order to satisfy the 10 class UMPI residency requirement. That being the case I may be able to cherry-pick a few of the easier courses but would have to reach out to the university to verify.

I'm not doing the degree for job requirements as I am self-employed in business, and it doesn't bring me a higher wage, it's simply for the love of learning.

Just looking for opinions of anyone else who has had similar thinking or experience.

Thanks very much. 

S
Just do an MBA if you're thinking of a second bachelors in business when you already have one in accounting. If you really, really want to you can get a certificate in business, but I don't think that's worth it if you have a Bachelors in anything finance adjacent, and definitely not worth anything once you have an MBA.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
If you're planning on getting an MBA there is no value in adding a business specific bachelor degree; especially since most people would consider a bachelor in accounting a type of business degree to start with.  If you already know what MBA program you're interested in be sure to add any prerequisites to your transcript (even if you can't use them in your BA in Accounting, and most you should be able to get though alternative methods).  Summary - skip the second degree, focus on the MBA.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Flelm
I'll echo what everyone else is saying, no reason to add a general business/leadership/management degree especially if you're planning to get an MBA afterward anyway.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to complete an additional 30 credits at UMPI for the second degree. Many of those classes you will repeat in an MBA program. So to me there's no point in completing the bachelor's in business admin if you're going to go straight into an MBA. Add on 30 more credits and you're almost done with an MBA.
MBA or graduate certificate(s).

Go for the MBA!

If you want to enhance your learning and not spend thousands, you could consider getting Coursera Plus. It’s only $299 for the year through the end of the month. You could do courses or specializations in Management & Leadership. Most classes won’t be for any type of college credit, but you can learn a ton of things. I signed up and have a ton of classes in my pipeline. Perfect for “the love of learning” without breaking the bank.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Thanks for the sound input guys, I truly appreciate it. That was kind of how I was learning, but I thought there was no harm in asking some of the other lifelong learning types who hang out here.

Also, thank you for the Coursera recommendation. That may be the perfect scratch for my itch once I'm done!!

S
[-] The following 1 user Likes lidel's post:
  • Vle045
Good luck in your pursuit! I signed up for the Coursera Plus a week or so ago. I didn’t want to miss the $100 discount. And It’s also good for me because there are really NO deadlines. If you need a break, you just reset your deadlines when you get back to it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I would offer a bit of a dissenting opinion. I did the UMPI BA in Accounting and the BABA in Mgmt. & Leadership. I plan to get an MBA and a master’s in accounting. Many of the programs that interest me, particularly on the MBA side, have prerequisite courses, such as upper-level management courses and marketing. If I need to complete those prerequisite courses as part of my MBA, they will cost $1,000-$2,000 each. It took me 2 extra sessions (total cost $2,800) to add the BABA to my BA in accounting. I think completing these courses as part of the MBA program would have cost me as much or more. Beyond that, i have an “extra” credential that may help be until I am ready to get my MBA, might help myself get into a better MBA program, etc.

Also, no reason to get the BA in Accounting, graduate, then do the BABA, just do a double major (accounting and business administration) as part of one degree, if you decide to go that route. Depending on the courses you brought in, courses you may have completed to meet your requirements for your accounting degree (such as getting to 120 hours, requisite upper level courses, etc) you may be able to finish a double major quicker than you think.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 388 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 373 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 238 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 355 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Affordable Online Masters degrees related to biology NotJoeBiden 6 512 01-24-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 909 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
  Masters Degree Planning TomatoLettuce 3 590 11-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: TomatoLettuce
  BA from UMPI -> ENEB Masters? ecdw94 8 1,156 10-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: rachel83az