Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
33yrs, business-savvy & experienced without degree
Wink 
Hey House!

I just stumbled upon this awesome forum and wow, it's so cool to see people helping each other out like this. I've been reading some of the stories here and, honestly, they're mind-blowing. It's amazing to see how sharing the right info can really change someone's path.

So, here's my deal:

I've been into business stuff since I was like 7, selling and all. In the last 10 years, I've gotten pretty good at sales, marketing, and branding. I even built my own business from scratch and landed a sweet gig in marketing, all without a college degree.

But now, I'm thinking it's time to check off that 'get a degree' box on my life's to-do list. I'm eyeing both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree, not just for my career but also because it feels like a big win for me personally, you know?

Aside from the business side of things, I'm super into psychology. I love learning about how people think and why they do what they do. Most of the books I read are all about understanding the human mind.

I seek your kind guidance on this degree journey. I am open to racking up credit scores from sophia, study or any other accredited option.

Any advice or help you can throw my way would be super appreciated!

Your Location: State and Country - I work and live in EU (Permanent EU residence)

My Age: 33

What kind of degree do you want?: Business or Psychology related degree

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0

School Name Total Credits: 0

Class Name, Credits, Grade - 0

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 0

Provider Total Credits: 0

Any certifications or military experience? - WASSCE (Senior High school leaving certificate)

Budget: I currently have $5K saved. I have a job so I can always save more. I am seeking the cheapest route possible. Less than 1 year preferably.

Commitments: I've got two kids and a wife but being productive isn't an issue for me.

Dedicated time to study: I can put in 1-2 hours every day and more on weekends.

Timeline: Maximum of 1 year.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: None

Thank you for your kind support in advance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes solodee's post:
  • Charles Fout
Great intro post and addendum/template... You may want to get the UMPI BLS with a couple minors, one in management and the other in psychology and be done with it. You can then ladder up to the Masters degree of your choice. Another option is to have a BABA instead of the BLS, select a concentration such as M&L or PM&IS, and have a minor in psychology. It really depends on what you as the student is looking for...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Charles Fout
My concern is only having an hour a day with that timeline. To do a CBE program, it would be better to have A LOT more time. Otherwise, you may be spending the ENTIRE weekend, every week getting things done. Maybe others found that to be do-able, but I know I couldn't do that. I ended up going the very SLOW route. Wink
On the plus side, you can start out with Sophia and see how many credits you can get done in a few months. I have a discount code I can share with you to save 15% off your first month GH77KPQ423. *This code is a discount code. I do not receive any compensation for use of this code. (This code can no longer be used at sign up after 12/31/23)
MBA, BA 
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Get an additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
I suggest doing the BABA Marketing at UMPI
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

You can also add on a minor such as Psychology, and if you complete most of those minor credits at SDC and such, then you shouldn't have to do extra terms at UMPI to finish a minor.
http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....turnto=155
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Vle045
(12-11-2023, 05:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Great intro post and addendum/template... You may want to get the UMPI BLS with a couple minors, one in management and the other in psychology and be done with it.  You can then ladder up to the Masters degree of your choice.  Another option is to have a BABA instead of the BLS, select a concentration such as M&L or PM&IS, and have a minor in psychology.  It really depends on what you as the student is looking for...
Thank you for such a quick response. Could you please clarify a few things for this newbie?
When you say... "get the UMPI BLS with a couple minors, one in management and the other in psychology"
Do you mean for example "Accounting Minor, BLS" and "Psychology, BA"?
Also, when you say...
"...have a BABA instead of the BLS, select a concentration such as M&L or PM&IS, and have a minor in psychology."
Do you mean for example to go for PM&IS, and Psychology, minor, and run both at the same time?

Your clarity will be highly appreciated.

(12-11-2023, 07:05 PM)Vle045 Wrote: My concern is only having an hour a day with that timeline.  To do a CBE program, it would be better to have A LOT more time.  Otherwise, you may be spending the ENTIRE weekend, every week getting things done.  Maybe others found that to be do-able, but I know I couldn't do that.  I ended up going the very SLOW route.  Wink
On the plus side, you can start out with Sophia and see how many credits you can get done in a few months.  I have a discount code I can share with you to save 15% off your first month GH77KPQ423. *This code is a discount code. I do not receive any compensation for use of this code. (This code can no longer be used at sign up after 12/31/23)

Thank you so much for your concern about the time. The thing is, this degree mission is a lifelong one for me. Hence, I am willing to adjust my life to accommodate its accomplishment. I appreciate the discount code and will take advantage of it. Quick one, could you run me through what steps to take to ensure that whatever credit I acquire from Sophia will be acceptable at UMPI. I know this is a noob question but that's exactly why I am here because I know I'll get everyone's support. Thanks in advance.

(12-11-2023, 07:11 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I suggest doing the BABA Marketing at UMPI
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

You can also add on a minor such as Psychology, and if you complete most of those minor credits at SDC and such, then you shouldn't have to do extra terms at UMPI to finish a minor.
http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....turnto=155

Thanks for your suggestion. The BABA Marketing at UMPI definitely looks promising. I am confident that I can knock it out easily.

My question now is about the SDC. Which one do you recommend and how do I go about finding the right program that'll be accepted at UMPI?

I appreciate your support.
There is a Wiki Page for UMPI that is very detailed on what may transfer. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Many folks on the board have found UMPI to be very transfer friendly. The courses might vary depending on the program you choose. The Management and Leadership one has more room for electives, if I recall correctly. Sophia and other similar providers are a great way to get back into studying and find a good pace. If you can move through the courses quickly, that might help you determine if you can keep up the pace for accelerating through a competency based degree. (It sounds like you definitely have the motivation). My suggestion is to start with Sophia and complete as many courses as possible that might apply to your degree plan. Sophia is the lowest cost, and has a decent number of course options. They provide all the course materials which you can reference as you move through the course.

I have noticed that most UMPI grads suggest taking the English Comp courses at UMPI due to speed and ease.

Sophia has been adding courses somewhat regularly. So there could be new options that are not yet included in the Wiki and degree plans.
MBA, BA 
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Get an additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • HeatherCO
@solodee, you're going to get pulled in all directions with advice and information, take your time to read & review posts, threads and the WIKI for degree plans and information. You want to keep things as simple as possible and don't overthink too much. Review the details on this thread and the links provided by members and see where things go. You decide your path, we just provide possible avenues of you to explore and see what fits.

In regards to what I mentioned earlier, in short, it's exactly that... UMPI BLS two minors in Management & Psychology, they don't have concentrations or any other majors for the BLS, the major is the Liberal Studies. For BABA PM&IS or another concentration of your choice, you can also add the Psychology minor. Again, it's a BA Business Admin major, PM&IS (or whatever you want that's offered) concentration, plus the Psych minor...

(12-12-2023, 07:51 AM)Vle045 Wrote: There is a Wiki Page for UMPI that is very detailed on what may transfer.  https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Many folks on the board have found UMPI to be very transfer friendly.  The courses might vary depending on the program you choose.  The Management and Leadership one has more room for electives, if I recall correctly.  Sophia and other similar providers are a great way to get back into studying and find a good pace.  If you can move through the courses quickly, that might help you determine if you can keep up the pace for accelerating through a competency based degree.  (It sounds like you definitely have the motivation). My suggestion is to start with Sophia and complete as many courses as possible that might apply to your degree plan.  Sophia is the lowest cost, and  has a decent number of course options.  They provide all the course materials which you can reference as you move through the course.

I have noticed that most UMPI grads suggest taking the English Comp courses at UMPI due to speed and ease.

Sophia has been adding courses somewhat regularly.  So there could be new options that are not yet included in the Wiki and degree plans.

Those folks are right. From my findings too, I have found UMPI to be transfer-friendly and I have pitched my tent with them. And, as you rightly advised, I am going through Sophia to rack up as many credits as possible. Please, could you help confirm if the info on this link - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents is still relevant or if you have any other resources that can help me narrow down what to study on Sophia? Thanks for your time

(12-12-2023, 02:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @solodee, you're going to get pulled in all directions with advice and information, take your time to read & review posts, threads and the WIKI for degree plans and information.  You want to keep things as simple as possible and don't overthink too much.  Review the details on this thread and the links provided by members and see where things go. You decide your path, we just provide possible avenues of you to explore and see what fits.

In regards to what I mentioned earlier, in short, it's exactly that... UMPI BLS two minors in Management & Psychology, they don't have concentrations or any other majors for the BLS, the major is the Liberal Studies.  For BABA PM&IS or another concentration of your choice, you can also add the Psychology minor.  Again, it's a BA Business Admin major, PM&IS (or whatever you want that's offered) concentration, plus the Psych minor...

Thank you so much for your time and thoughtful response. I have decided to for BABA Management & Leadership Concentration with the hope of stacking it up with Psychology minor. My last question is... Do you have any tips, hacks or strategies that can help me run through the credit-racking process faster?
[-] The following 1 user Likes solodee's post:
  • HeatherCO
Essentially, follow the degree plans on the WIKI including the link you have in regards to the equivalents from Sophia.org and review what you have and the requirements needed. The best advice is to create your own spreadsheet with any class you want to take if you want to deviate from the templates on the WIKI here, share the file with us from your one/google drive and make it viewable, not editable: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • HeatherCO
Because you're in the EU and not in the US, I would strongly recommend going with a BABA/BBA vs. a BLS. The Business degree won't be significantly more time/money/effort, but will be more relevant to what you want. It's also more likely to be viewed as a viable degree by employers. European employers may not know what to do with a "Liberal Studies" degree and may think it's "fake" or "useless" even if it's not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 43 3,072 05-06-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Deciding Next Steps, both Degree and School klago999 2 214 04-30-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 21 820 04-29-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: CreativeLearner
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 274 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 209 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 5,094 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 272 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 264 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 710 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,482 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM