Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$70K/Year no degree, I wish all schools had this sort of commitment...
"Flatiron School only accepts about 170 students a year, or 6 percent of its applicants. Demand is high, teachers are scarce and Enbar and Flombaum are determined to keep their nearly perfect record of employment post-completion intact."

I'm particularly keen on the last part of that: "determined to keep their near perfect record of employment post-completion in tact". The story is about a start up that teached coding in 4 months for $15,000. Great investment for the anticipated return. Make $70,000 a year with no degree

Interesting too how they describe the need for technology literacy and liken it to the need for the ability to read and write.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Those 6 percent, I want to see what their background is. If only four months of programming is needed to get a $70,000 job then Amazon would not be able to keep an idiot's guide to programming book in stock. I smell BS here.
These coding schools are getting more and more expensive. I wonder how much better they are than a community college or one of those free tutorial websites like Code Academy. A semester at a CC will probably cost $1,000-1500, and you can receive federal financial aid.

However, I would like to talk about the former computer science student. I've heard employers and students complain that computer science students graduate without knowing how to program. I don't think a lot of people realize how theoretical computer science programs can be.

After I finish my web development program at EdCC for less than $1,000, I need to open up a coding school so I can charge people $15,000 for four months of instruction.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:After I finish my web development program at EdCC for less than $1,000, I need to open up a coding school so I can charge people $15,000 for four months of instruction.

Best idea I've heard! Smile

AkaiOkami Wrote:Those 6 percent, I want to see what their background is. ... I smell BS here.

From the article: "Their first class of about 20 students came from all walks of life: a construction worker, an investment banker, a professional poker player and a boxer."

They do have a free course: "NYC Web Development Fellowship. In partnership with New York City, this free program trains NYC residents without college degrees for careers in web development." Yes - if you are degree-less in NYC, maybe take the free one. Then open a school and charge $15K .... Smile

J
sanantone Wrote:After I finish my web development program at EdCC for less than $1,000, I need to open up a coding school so I can charge people $15,000 for four months of instruction.

I'm sure it won't be long until the UoPs and Grand Canyon's of the world dilute this market. Their "traditional" model is suffering.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!! LevelUP 2 432 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Holidays and New Year 2022! bjcheung77 7 985 12-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,406 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 519 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 572 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 508 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!!! LevelUP 3 1,980 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 610 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 735 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,832 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir