Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8-10th Grade Science - Homeschooling Help
Hi All,

Quick question for those savvy homeschooling folks out there. I am looking for a science text or course for a very advanced 8th grader. She's already completed one year of homeschooling and has done very well but the area that we struggled the most with last year was finding a science course that is interesting and challenging. I am willing to spend money on it, but of course free/cheap resources are nice too Smile

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
We use the Apologia Science series here. My daughter took herself through Biology with the help of DIVE Biology and Red Wagon tutorial CD, both use Apologia biology book as well. Chemistry she took on-line with Veritas Press Scholars Academy. Very good class, accredited, weighted honors class, teacher is PHD scientist,tons of math incorporated in homework. This year as a sophomore she will take physics on-line with Veritas Press, which utilizes the Apologia Physics book.

Jude
burbuja0512 Wrote:Hi All,

Quick question for those savvy homeschooling folks out there. I am looking for a science text or course for a very advanced 8th grader. She's already completed one year of homeschooling and has done very well but the area that we struggled the most with last year was finding a science course that is interesting and challenging. I am willing to spend money on it, but of course free/cheap resources are nice too Smile

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Holy cow I have so much for you. We are having an open house in 2 hours- I shouldn't be online. Can you facebook PM me and I'll send you links later this week? Free. My favorite word Smile
Math and Physics Classes for Homeschoolers

^I bought the dvd, its good, its an expanded collection of what's on his youtube channel (below)
Derek Owens - Math and Physics - YouTube

you can enroll in the course and take it "live" with the teacher, or you can buy the videos and workbook and do it at home on your own
Lucid Education

I didn't buy the workbook, but it seems like it would be good too

here are other courses for a HS student

http://www.nursingabc.com/courses

AP BIO 059: AP Biology, Part 1 (Online) - BYU Independent Study - Online Courses

BIOL 049: Human Anatomy (Online) - BYU Independent Study - Online Courses

TECH 041: Applied Physics with Technology, Part 1 (Online) - BYU Independent Study - Online Courses

CHEM 041: General Chemistry, Part 1 (Online) - BYU Independent Study - Online Courses

ENVRN 041: Environmental Science (Online) - BYU Independent Study - Online Courses
I'm just wondering, do you have materials for biology/chemistry labs, or physics projects? Those were always the best days, doing experiments/dissections/projects were the highlight of my week, lol. I hope you can find a way to involve some experiments and real-world applications outside of the textbook!
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
As a former budding science teacher I found this website had some interesting info and stuff at their store. National Science Teachers Association - Science & Education Resource
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Burbuja,

Please forgive me for hijacking, but I wanted to respond to a PM from Linda. (Her account is still bouncing back messages saying it's not accepting messages.) Linda, thank you so much. My PM was more elaborate, but that's the bottom line. Thank you.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Thank you all for taking the time to reply! Jennifer - sent you a PM on FB

I need to have a lot of options for DD as she learns very quickly and is easily bored... of course if things are too tough, she whines and gets very mad at me, so it's a tough balance!

@0E800_85 - this is a good question. I don't have a long list of ideas for science and real world work, lol there is a reason that I am a business major! DD wants to be an engineer so I just need to figure out what can best support her. I haven't yet gone through all the links on this thread, but once I read through all of them, I'll have a few more ideas and hopefully some solutions.

Thanks all! As usual, you guys have great info!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
one more

not science, but computer science (there is a "lab")
its really good

go here
This is CS50 OpenCourseWare

^ this is Harvard University's Introduction to Computer Science class

now
select the Lectures tab
then Week 0
then Videos
watch the Wednesday and Friday videos

Then click on the Problem Sets tab (this is the first homework)
Problem Set 0
Standard Edition
Walkthrough
Video

Your daughter should be able to handle those videos and problems easily (they really are the easy stuff)

even though this course is the official course at Harvard, they recorded the class and put it on the web so all can watch it for free
(the difference is you just do the homework on your own instead of turning it in for a grade -- if you want a grade, then pay the $3000 for the course)

the first homework problem is to download an interactive programming tool from MIT and start writing computer programs

you can write little games and all kinds of interesting stuff

the 3 videos I recommended teach you how to use the tool and how to write the program

The later videos get MUCH more difficult so I wouldn't recommend your daughter continue on further with that course yet

I suggest that after doing those 3 videos she switch to this course

Understanding Computers and the Internet / OpenCourseWare

^ this is the course for adults who need to learn "just enough" about computers so they can follow a technical conversation, compare and buy computers intelligently and understand things they hear in the news
it is really good, it introduces hardware, security, the internet and even a little programming

only after completing this 2nd course would I suggest going back to the first one

yeah, I'd recommend these programming courses over everything else

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooling Leebo 201 15,816 01-24-2024, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Economics is a Social Science sanantone 9 1,105 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 799 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Help: Master of Science in Engineering Management DanielDaCosta87 3 1,070 08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Discovery Ed buys Mystery Science for $140 Million bjcheung77 0 794 11-22-2020, 02:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia - Calculating Grade harrypotter 1 953 04-08-2020, 04:51 PM
Last Post: lacussucceed
  10th Anniversary! (Wow, time flies!) bjcheung77 2 980 03-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Last Post: lacussucceed
  How can nutritional science be made more accurate? sanantone 10 2,027 04-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Applications open for free data science program MNomadic 0 1,211 12-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 8,003 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa