Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 years later
Justlearning,

I had a thought, I think in your situation, you might be an excellent candidate for an associate's degree. Not as a stopping point, but as a celebration point! Rolling forward the credit you earn and building the remaining (you'll need 60) using some of the new methods that are popular now (Studycom, Straighteline, etc.) and combining that with the ones you're familiar with (CLEP, DSST, etc) you could DIY a degree from any of the big 3 in a really straight-forward way.

Some will say that it will cost more because you'll have to pay a graduation fee twice, etc. but that's not the big-picture in my advice. Mine is to help you with a win so you can get "something" for everything you've done so far. After you've checked that box, not only will you have a win for your resume, but you'll be 100% more knowledgable about what it takes to DIY a degree this way and your skills / preferences for earning college credit. Whether or not you pursue a bachelor's at that point is your call, but this gets you a LOT closer and is a much more attainable goal.

I will make 1 specific recommendation- that is to pick the SAME SCHOOL for you associates as your bachelor's. That helps TREMENDOUSLY with planning. Changing schools will create unnecessary chaos.

P.S. I earned my AA from scratch using CLEP/ DSST in about 6 months. Though the requirements differ today, the principles are the same.
Most people, if not all, on this board complete the basic requirements or at least 60 credits or so, BEFORE they transfer to WGU because if you enroll into their program, you can't transfer anything into it anymore. Essentially, that's the reason it'll take you a lot longer to complete than the average board member. So, to fix this, you should take all the StraighterLine/Study.com or Sophia/Saylor, whatever provider suits you most, take their credits to transfer into the Big 3/WGU.

The main thing is, don't enroll at the school of choice until you've transferred your max amount, you can apply to them to get an initial evaluation and then continue working towards the full 120 credits/40 courses. The last thing to remember is the final two courses at the Big 3 need to be done at that school or 30 credits for WGU and other competency based programs.

OP, LOL, I don't know how I missed this thread, but anyways, have you decided on the degree of your choice yet? If you haven't decided, hear me out on my next post after your reply...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-09-2019, 08:29 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Justlearning,

I had a thought, I think in your situation, you might be an excellent candidate for an associate's degree.  Not as a stopping point, but as a celebration point!  Rolling forward the credit you earn and building the remaining (you'll need 60) using some of the new methods that are popular now (Studycom, Straighteline, etc.) and combining that with the ones you're familiar with (CLEP, DSST, etc) you could DIY a degree from any of the big 3 in a really straight-forward way.

Some will say that it will cost more because you'll have to pay a graduation fee twice, etc. but that's not the big-picture in my advice. Mine is to help you with a win so you can get "something" for everything you've done so far. After you've checked that box, not only will you have a win for your resume, but you'll be 100% more knowledgable about what it takes to DIY a degree this way and your skills / preferences for earning college credit.   Whether or not you pursue a bachelor's at that point is your call, but this gets you a LOT closer and is a much more attainable goal.

I will make 1 specific recommendation- that is to pick the SAME SCHOOL for you associates as your bachelor's. That helps TREMENDOUSLY with planning.  Changing schools will create unnecessary chaos.

P.S.  I earned my AA from scratch using CLEP/ DSST in about 6 months.   Though the requirements differ today, the principles are the same.

This is very good advice. Getting a win early in the process (even a rebooted process) is a big deal psychologically. It matters!
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 685 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Scientist dies at 29 years of age... bjcheung77 4 410 10-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 333 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thank you for the many years of useful information vetvso 2 485 09-25-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  True to his words - Many years later, NHL Player finishes degree! bjcheung77 2 708 06-19-2022, 11:25 AM
  $250,000 in student debt after 13 years... bjcheung77 17 1,602 06-02-2022, 04:44 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  University Buys land, wait 5 years, sell it back for 2.5x profit... bjcheung77 0 505 05-16-2022, 03:06 PM
  Superstars get educated too! 13 years after starting... bjcheung77 2 589 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 867 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705