Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 years later
Justlearning,

I had a thought, I think in your situation, you might be an excellent candidate for an associate's degree. Not as a stopping point, but as a celebration point! Rolling forward the credit you earn and building the remaining (you'll need 60) using some of the new methods that are popular now (Studycom, Straighteline, etc.) and combining that with the ones you're familiar with (CLEP, DSST, etc) you could DIY a degree from any of the big 3 in a really straight-forward way.

Some will say that it will cost more because you'll have to pay a graduation fee twice, etc. but that's not the big-picture in my advice. Mine is to help you with a win so you can get "something" for everything you've done so far. After you've checked that box, not only will you have a win for your resume, but you'll be 100% more knowledgable about what it takes to DIY a degree this way and your skills / preferences for earning college credit. Whether or not you pursue a bachelor's at that point is your call, but this gets you a LOT closer and is a much more attainable goal.

I will make 1 specific recommendation- that is to pick the SAME SCHOOL for you associates as your bachelor's. That helps TREMENDOUSLY with planning. Changing schools will create unnecessary chaos.

P.S. I earned my AA from scratch using CLEP/ DSST in about 6 months. Though the requirements differ today, the principles are the same.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
[-] The following 2 users Like cookderosa's post:
  • Sapientes, tesu-acct-student
Most people, if not all, on this board complete the basic requirements or at least 60 credits or so, BEFORE they transfer to WGU because if you enroll into their program, you can't transfer anything into it anymore. Essentially, that's the reason it'll take you a lot longer to complete than the average board member. So, to fix this, you should take all the StraighterLine/Study.com or Sophia/Saylor, whatever provider suits you most, take their credits to transfer into the Big 3/WGU.

The main thing is, don't enroll at the school of choice until you've transferred your max amount, you can apply to them to get an initial evaluation and then continue working towards the full 120 credits/40 courses. The last thing to remember is the final two courses at the Big 3 need to be done at that school or 30 credits for WGU and other competency based programs.

OP, LOL, I don't know how I missed this thread, but anyways, have you decided on the degree of your choice yet? If you haven't decided, hear me out on my next post after your reply...
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
(09-09-2019, 08:29 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Justlearning,

I had a thought, I think in your situation, you might be an excellent candidate for an associate's degree.  Not as a stopping point, but as a celebration point!  Rolling forward the credit you earn and building the remaining (you'll need 60) using some of the new methods that are popular now (Studycom, Straighteline, etc.) and combining that with the ones you're familiar with (CLEP, DSST, etc) you could DIY a degree from any of the big 3 in a really straight-forward way.

Some will say that it will cost more because you'll have to pay a graduation fee twice, etc. but that's not the big-picture in my advice. Mine is to help you with a win so you can get "something" for everything you've done so far. After you've checked that box, not only will you have a win for your resume, but you'll be 100% more knowledgable about what it takes to DIY a degree this way and your skills / preferences for earning college credit.   Whether or not you pursue a bachelor's at that point is your call, but this gets you a LOT closer and is a much more attainable goal.

I will make 1 specific recommendation- that is to pick the SAME SCHOOL for you associates as your bachelor's. That helps TREMENDOUSLY with planning.  Changing schools will create unnecessary chaos.

P.S.  I earned my AA from scratch using CLEP/ DSST in about 6 months.   Though the requirements differ today, the principles are the same.

This is very good advice. Getting a win early in the process (even a rebooted process) is a big deal psychologically. It matters!
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSAcc UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same courses AT ALL. Read more here: Intermediate Accounting II

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capella Shares Lessons Learned from 5 Years of Offering Competency-Based Programs sanantone 1 150 09-15-2019, 01:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Data: 60% of Students Graduate Within 8 Years Life Long Learning 8 405 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  CLEP Scores only kepts for 20 years? waterpaper 29 1,506 06-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  My BS in 1.5 years - my experience with CLEP/DSST/SL/WGU jessikalauren 12 4,559 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jessikalauren
  Credits from years ago: How old is too old? Nutmeg0065 20 1,154 07-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Nutmeg0065
  Congrats Jennifer, 10 years on the forum :) jsd 16 1,268 03-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Thank you, Shotojuku, for TEN years leading DegreeForum! sgloer 16 844 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  10 years removed from school, 108 credits want to finish my business/finance degree infoe36069 141 3,253 11-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Last Post: infoe36069
  Anyone else started school at 33 years old? I hope I'm not alone.... mike4554 19 536 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Hathery
  American is Youngest Person in 600 Years to be Called to the UK Bar at the age of 18 sanantone 6 401 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: GMT