Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little stressed
So, here's the latest on my own situation...I just have to share...

I'm at EC and I'm in the liberal arts program. However, I have a lot of past experience in the technology arena. In fact, back in 2003, I took an ICCP exam that, at the time, was worth 18 credits. Then, after I took it, ICCPs weren't accepted any longer - that hurt. So it took me a while to get back in to it and when I did, I went liberal arts simply because it's so diverse and that makes it easier to complete the degree using just exams.
Turns out that back in OCTOBER, EC started accepting ICCP credits again, but only posted this fact on their Technology school page. I just happened to be looking at it last night and saw this little fact.
Here's what makes the situation a wee-bit frustrating. I busted my hump getting tons of applied professsional credits completed so that I could then finish my LAST 9 hours of Arts and Sciences, all by a deadline that would keep me from having to pay an additional fee to graduate. HOWEVER, if I had know that ICCP's were being accepted again, I maybe could have avoided having to take those other exams (exasperating!).
I'm now asking them to reveiw it for me, just to see if maybe it helps in any way, shape or form but I doubt it.

So the moral of the story is: count EVERYTHING and re-check things that are not accepted often, becuase you don't want to get stealth'ed and have to take extra exams!!!!
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
libartsmgr Wrote:So, here's the latest on my own situation...I just have to share...

I'm at EC and I'm in the liberal arts program. However, I have a lot of past experience in the technology arena. In fact, back in 2003, I took an ICCP exam that, at the time, was worth 18 credits. Then, after I took it, ICCPs weren't accepted any longer - that hurt. So it took me a while to get back in to it and when I did, I went liberal arts simply because it's so diverse and that makes it easier to complete the degree using just exams.
Turns out that back in OCTOBER, EC started accepting ICCP credits again, but only posted this fact on their Technology school page. I just happened to be looking at it last night and saw this little fact.
Here's what makes the situation a wee-bit frustrating. I busted my hump getting tons of applied professsional credits completed so that I could then finish my LAST 9 hours of Arts and Sciences, all by a deadline that would keep me from having to pay an additional fee to graduate. HOWEVER, if I had know that ICCP's were being accepted again, I maybe could have avoided having to take those other exams (exasperating!).
I'm now asking them to reveiw it for me, just to see if maybe it helps in any way, shape or form but I doubt it.

So the moral of the story is: count EVERYTHING and re-check things that are not accepted often, becuase you don't want to get stealth'ed and have to take extra exams!!!!
Hi Joanne-
at what point did you enroll at excelsior? i was under the impression that when you enrolled, that was how things were for you until you graduated. if you enrolled while they accepted these credits, i thought that they couldn't take them away. is this not excelsior's policy, because that's why i enrolled now, so things would be the same.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
I was enrolled back in 2003 when I took the exams, then my enrollment lapsed and I re-enrolled in June 2005. When I re-enrolled, it was taken off. They've had my transcript for it, it was just never added back in (and I didn't know to ask).

Also, they CAN remove stuff from transcripts anytime (at least they have with me). One of my Microsoft exams was removed after the fact, because they said it was a mistake to be on there - it duplicated another exam. I had to take DSST Drug and Alcohol to get the credit back. The MS exam was 1 UL, Drug and Alcohol is 3, so 2 of those credits were made LL.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it - knowledge is knowledge and it's never wasted. However, I may have been done and graduated by now if I could have had those credits added in back in October.

I found out that I qualified for 21 LL applied professional credits because I took the Core exam (18) and the C++ exam (3). That's 7 3-credit exams!!!!

Oh, but the best part is that I'm short one UL credit for achieving an Area of Focus in Management Information Systems (rather than an Depth). Hmmm, maybe that MS exam that was removed could have counted toward the credit....

But I'm not bitter Smile

Ask questions every time to you talk to your advisor - which ever school you attend.
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
libartsmgr Wrote:So, here's the latest on my own situation...I just have to share...

WHAT A MESS AND A FRUSTRATION! iAM PROUD OF YOU FOR PERSERVERING AND MAKING THE GOOD THINGS HAPPEN EVEN WHEN SOMEONE THROWS YOU A BIG OLE' CURVREBALL. KEEP ON GOING!! RON
Ron Bowman..Tx.
LIBERAL ARTS MAJOR
ATTENDING T.E.S.C.
27 CLEP AND DANTES COMPLETED COURSES AND 12 F.E.M.A.

ONE CLASS TO GO AND I'LL BE DONE. ASTRONOMY IS ALL THAT'S LEFT AND CAP AND GOWN HERE I COME !!
JoAnne... that would also frustrate me. I am just beginning my back to school experience. If any consolation, I have to CLEP four tests. I thought more of my AAS credits would transfer and they didn't.... mmmmm too much FUN? Hope they do the right thing for you!
Joanne, I’ve been enrolled since 2001 in technology school of Excelsior, and unfortunately did not have time to finish it until last fall I said I have to put an end to this. At the time I enrolled they had a policy that based on approval of you credit hours, they would tell you how many more hours is needed to complete you degree and they would charge you for the entire fee and test you have to take and you had to pay them ahead of time, but for all the test such as ICCP or CLEP or their own test they would let you take one time each one of the test free, which actually they have charged you for that and would pay it to them. I had two year to finish and graduate, I had to take 15 hours in Technical courses which are major and upper level and 8 hours in art and science. After a year they change their policy and went me back those amount that they have charged me for test and they said you are going to pay $ 485 every year till you finish it and they said if you fail to keep yourself enrolled you have to re enroll which will be under new requirement, for instance if I would have to re enroll I had to have Statistics as of one of the requirement, plus they may not accept some of my courses from Microsoft. I just gave an overview of their past and the way they work. In your situation since you change your major some of that course dose not applies to your new major so they have to drop it. I took network communication this fall at local college then I saw they drop one of my MS network courses from the list for overlapping. But what ever happen they said I have to take those 15 technologies and 8 art and science.

I hope I did not take your time for such a long reply.

Ray
Perhaps you can enhance your GPA? It's worth a shot...
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
dhlvrsn Wrote:Perhaps you can enhance your GPA? It's worth a shot...

In fact, I did ask about that. They count ICCP's as pass/fail. Which, in my case, is actually good. I think I eeked one out by 1 point!

Ray, I didn't realize they had made that many changes. Even in liberal arts, the ICCP Core does count toward applied professional. 1 exam, 18 hours - not bad.
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Did you get your ICCP sent to Excelsior? I passed their security test and asked them 3 times (both via e-mail and phone) to send the scores to Excelsior. They never did. It got to the point that I just took a CLEP to get the credit instead of having to deal with ICCP. ICCP is a strange experience from start to end, I wouldn't suggest anyone take these exams unless there are no other choices.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
siersema Wrote:Did you get your ICCP sent to Excelsior? I passed their security test and asked them 3 times (both via e-mail and phone) to send the scores to Excelsior. They never did. It got to the point that I just took a CLEP to get the credit instead of having to deal with ICCP. ICCP is a strange experience from start to end, I wouldn't suggest anyone take these exams unless there are no other choices.

Yeah, actually Excelsior's had them since I originally took the exams back in 2003. But, I would agree with you, it was kinda weird working with them. I didn't like the proctor coming to my house - creepy...
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stressed & Depressed - today’s high school students Vle045 8 1,074 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore