Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case Against Education by Bryan Caplan
If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. The book breaks down signaling theory and explains the economic theory behind why and how employers value degrees because they signal certain things like "social conformity," "ability to work on something for a while," etc. This short article gives a pretty good taste of what the book's all about and will, I think, help you be more enthusiastic about doing college in a cheaper, quicker, more non-traditional way. 

https://www.econlib.org/archives/2015/04...sig_1.html

Essentially, he argues against human capital purists who believe that "degree = skills" and that is why employers hire people with degrees. But Caplan uses a lot of stats to show how degree doesn't really equal skills and in fact it's more just a social part we're playing to prove that we are a certain kind of person (hard worker, conformist) rather than that we learned specific things. Sure, we still do learn things in college, but Caplan's data suggests it's a lot less than anyone would like to admit.

Thank you for reading my book report just wanted to share this with people who I thought would care.
[-] The following 5 users Like collegehacked's post:
  • gremlinbrawler, Merlin, Muldoon, Sapientes, scorpion
This is something that I've thought for a while but have never really looked into. Maybe next month I'll have time to actually read it; I'm too busy trying to finish a Sophia class before the deadline so I can enroll in one more!
In an odd way, this is really a continuation of old news - 130 years or more. I've read that old-time capitalists welcomed the idea of compulsory schooling (then to 12 or 14) as it would produce young people pre-conditioned to the workplace. They had learned obedience and were tractable enough to do what they were told at work - and were capable of sticking to a task.

Now, it takes college to finish the job, it seems. Very pessimistic approach - so probably nearer the truth than we like to think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-30-2020, 08:43 AM)collegehacked Wrote: If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. The book breaks down signaling theory and explains the economic theory behind why and how employers value degrees because they signal certain things like "social conformity," "ability to work on something for a while," etc. This short article gives a pretty good taste of what the book's all about and will, I think, help you be more enthusiastic about doing college in a cheaper, quicker, more non-traditional way. 

https://www.econlib.org/archives/2015/04...sig_1.html

Essentially, he argues against human capital purists who believe that "degree = skills" and that is why employers hire people with degrees. But Caplan uses a lot of stats to show how degree doesn't really equal skills and in fact it's more just a social part we're playing to prove that we are a certain kind of person (hard worker, conformist) rather than that we learned specific things. Sure, we still do learn things in college, but Caplan's data suggests it's a lot less than anyone would like to admit.

Thank you for reading my book report just wanted to share this with people who I thought would care.

I've wanted to read that one for a long time but haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the summary, now I'm even more excited about it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes gremlinbrawler's post:
  • collegehacked
By getting a college degree you are basically virtue signaling to employers things such as diligence and patience.

The U.S. has a class system and if you don't have a degree, you are treated like a 2nd class citizen.  It is a lot easier in life to be walking downhill rather than uphill.  

Not that it's impossible to get a job without a degree though you will often see jobs say either have a degree or have 4 years experience.  So without experience, it's hard to start your career in a job that requires skills.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • CatsDomino, rachel83az, SteveFoerster
(08-01-2020, 05:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: By getting a college degree you are basically virtue signaling to employers things such as diligence and patience.

Signaling, yes. Virtue signaling is something else, at least to the extent it means anything at all beyond someone expressing an opinion with which the other person disagrees.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • jsd
(08-01-2020, 05:27 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 05:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: By getting a college degree you are basically virtue signaling to employers things such as diligence and patience.

Signaling, yes. Virtue signaling is something else, at least to the extent it means anything at all beyond someone expressing an opinion with which the other person disagrees.

Straw man fallacy.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-01-2020, 06:46 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Straw man fallacy.

So, now that's two terms in a row that don't mean what you think they mean. Care to try for the hat trick?
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • jsd, scorpion
(08-01-2020, 07:31 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 06:46 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Straw man fallacy.

So, now that's two terms in a row that don't mean what you think they mean. Care to try for the hat trick?

I think we can make our lives both better.  I won't waste time commenting on your posts and you don't waste time comment on my posts.

The U.S. has a class system and if you don't have a degree, you are treated like a 2nd class citizen.  It is a lot easier in life to be walking downhill rather than uphill.  

Not that it's impossible to get a job without a degree though you will often see jobs say either have a degree or have 4 years experience.  So without experience, it's hard to start your career in a job that requires skills.

And it's for this very reason that I'm such a huge advocate of how we approach college degrees. Using CLEP to get degrees to get jobs is like the system letting excess pressure out, but one day a reckoning will come and the system will be better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,905 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 339 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 342 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 462 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 410 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Is an Ivy Education Worth It? Imbanewbie 2 546 05-02-2023, 02:37 PM
  Education Scams Are Everywhere davewill 8 936 04-23-2023, 08:49 PM
  Global Convention on Higher Education Alpha 0 361 03-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha