Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACE NAMES ST. NICHOLAS BURRUS AND EDWIN DUARTE JR. 2020 STUDENTS OF THE YEAR
https://www.acenet.edu/News-Room/Pages/A...-Year.aspx

Quote:St. Nicholas Burrus, a business student and heart transplant recipient, and Edwin Duarte, a U.S. Army veteran and history major, are ACE's 2020 Students of the Year.
Burrus recently graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Maine at Presque Isle, while Duarte, a father of three, is currently working toward a bachelor’s degree in history at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) after earning two associate’s degrees at Norco College in California. Both recipients will receive a $1,000 scholarship to help fund further education.

The ACE Student of the Year Award is presented annually by ACE to two individuals who have benefited academically or professionally from the use of ACE credit recommendations for workforce or military training. Recipients must demonstrate outstanding achievements in their community or workplace while successfully balancing the demands of family, career, and education.

Burrus’ journey began when he was diagnosed with heart failure at birth, worsened by Kawasaki Disease as a toddler, that led to a lifetime of illness, including extreme damage to his heart and ears, affecting his hearing ability. He spent most of his life feeling very ill, going through multiple surgeries, and couldn’t imagine going to college right after high school. Burrus died on the operating table at 18 years old before doctors were able to resuscitate him. After high school, he started a job at Stria, LLC, a company that helped him see his potential in business management and administration.

Finally, in January 2020, Burrus had a heart transplant. During his extensive recovery, he heard about ACE credit recommendations from InstantCert and took advantage of a discount on online courses at Sophia Learning and ALEKS. He spent most of his time in the hospital studying and taking courses online. He then realized he had enough credits to pursue a degree and chose to enroll at the University of Maine at Presque Isle in large part because they were able to help him adapt to his physical challenges, he said.

“My mind has never been dumb—my body has always failed me,” Burrus said. “The University of Maine at Presque Isle has been fantastic about modifying courses for me and now, with my new heart, I’m ready to take the next step in my education, and this award will help me do that.”

Edwin Duarte served in the Army for nearly 12 years, deploying twice, first for 15 months as part of President Bush’s troop surge in Baghdad, Iraq and then a one-year deployment to Kandahar, Afghanistan as part of President Obama’s troop surge. He served with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) as a forward observer for an air assault infantry platoon. After he was medically discharged in July 2017, on his daughter’s birthday, Duarte began pursuing his goal to become a high school history teacher. He was awarded 16 ACE-recommended credits based on his military training and experience when he began at Norco College.

In addition to his classes, Duarte was the athletics department photographer and became involved with the college’s Veterans Club, served as the club’s president, revamped the Veterans Resource Center, and was called on by the dean of admissions to work on the Military Articulation Platform (MAP)—a cloud-based system that allows evaluators and faculty to match military training with college courses and give veterans the college credit they deserve. His motivation also came from his wife, Patricia, who joined the Army to become a medic after graduating with a bachelors in psychology from the University of Illinois and a master’s in psychology from Southern New Hampshire University while on active duty. Duarte is now in his third year at UTEP, and spends most of his free time with his wife, two boys, ages 13 and 7, and his 6-year-old daughter.

“Everything I have done since they were born was to set a good example for them. If they decide that school is not for them that is fine, I just want them to know it is something that can be done,” Duarte said. “I look forward to the next part of my educational journey and appreciate ACE’s opportunities to keep assisting students like myself.”

“These students have served their families, their country, and communities. Their perseverance exemplifies the qualities we seek in ACE’s Student of the Year,” said Louis Soares, ACE’s chief learning and innovation officer. “Their commitment to education, desire to earn a degree, and determination to set high goals should be an inspiration to posttraditional students everywhere.”

So the winner of that scholarship was me 8-)
[-] The following 8 users Like ashkir's post:
  • dfrecore, jch, jcooke, Novo, P226mem, Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
Woww Congratulations Big Grin
Great work! Congrats! I wonder if that other person is also a board member, hahaha, it'll be funny if both winners are DegreeForum or DegreeInfo members!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-19-2021, 04:41 PM)ashkir Wrote: https://www.acenet.edu/News-Room/Pages/A...-Year.aspx

Quote:St. Nicholas Burrus, a business student and heart transplant recipient, and Edwin Duarte, a U.S. Army veteran and history major, are ACE's 2020 Students of the Year.
Burrus recently graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Maine at Presque Isle, while Duarte, a father of three, is currently working toward a bachelor’s degree in history at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) after earning two associate’s degrees at Norco College in California. Both recipients will receive a $1,000 scholarship to help fund further education.

The ACE Student of the Year Award is presented annually by ACE to two individuals who have benefited academically or professionally from the use of ACE credit recommendations for workforce or military training. Recipients must demonstrate outstanding achievements in their community or workplace while successfully balancing the demands of family, career, and education.

Burrus’ journey began when he was diagnosed with heart failure at birth, worsened by Kawasaki Disease as a toddler, that led to a lifetime of illness, including extreme damage to his heart and ears, affecting his hearing ability. He spent most of his life feeling very ill, going through multiple surgeries, and couldn’t imagine going to college right after high school. Burrus died on the operating table at 18 years old before doctors were able to resuscitate him. After high school, he started a job at Stria, LLC, a company that helped him see his potential in business management and administration.

Finally, in January 2020, Burrus had a heart transplant. During his extensive recovery, he heard about ACE credit recommendations from InstantCert and took advantage of a discount on online courses at Sophia Learning and ALEKS. He spent most of his time in the hospital studying and taking courses online. He then realized he had enough credits to pursue a degree and chose to enroll at the University of Maine at Presque Isle in large part because they were able to help him adapt to his physical challenges, he said.

“My mind has never been dumb—my body has always failed me,” Burrus said. “The University of Maine at Presque Isle has been fantastic about modifying courses for me and now, with my new heart, I’m ready to take the next step in my education, and this award will help me do that.”

Edwin Duarte served in the Army for nearly 12 years, deploying twice, first for 15 months as part of President Bush’s troop surge in Baghdad, Iraq and then a one-year deployment to Kandahar, Afghanistan as part of President Obama’s troop surge. He served with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) as a forward observer for an air assault infantry platoon. After he was medically discharged in July 2017, on his daughter’s birthday, Duarte began pursuing his goal to become a high school history teacher. He was awarded 16 ACE-recommended credits based on his military training and experience when he began at Norco College.

In addition to his classes, Duarte was the athletics department photographer and became involved with the college’s Veterans Club, served as the club’s president, revamped the Veterans Resource Center, and was called on by the dean of admissions to work on the Military Articulation Platform (MAP)—a cloud-based system that allows evaluators and faculty to match military training with college courses and give veterans the college credit they deserve. His motivation also came from his wife, Patricia, who joined the Army to become a medic after graduating with a bachelors in psychology from the University of Illinois and a master’s in psychology from Southern New Hampshire University while on active duty. Duarte is now in his third year at UTEP, and spends most of his free time with his wife, two boys, ages 13 and 7, and his 6-year-old daughter.

“Everything I have done since they were born was to set a good example for them. If they decide that school is not for them that is fine, I just want them to know it is something that can be done,” Duarte said. “I look forward to the next part of my educational journey and appreciate ACE’s opportunities to keep assisting students like myself.”

“These students have served their families, their country, and communities. Their perseverance exemplifies the qualities we seek in ACE’s Student of the Year,” said Louis Soares, ACE’s chief learning and innovation officer. “Their commitment to education, desire to earn a degree, and determination to set high goals should be an inspiration to posttraditional students everywhere.”

So the winner of that scholarship was me 8-)
So earned and inspiring.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Congrats!

Are you choosing a grad school?

(05-19-2021, 07:52 PM)Ideas Wrote: Congrats!

Are you choosing a grad school?

I decided to stick with University of Maine for their Masters of Organizational Leadership. I almost went Brandman because it's $3500 for 6 months versus UMPI's $4000 for 2 months. But, loyalty means a lot in my field of work, and I already knew UMPI was good with my ADA requirements.
DegreeForum is mentioned! 

https://youtu.be/xm67gud50GY?t=158
[-] The following 5 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Novo, Pikachu, rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL, ss20ts
(05-21-2021, 03:27 PM)ashkir Wrote: DegreeForum is mentioned! 

https://youtu.be/xm67gud50GY?t=158
It was very interesting actually hearing you tell your story versus reading it and I'm still in awe.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Perpetual Students burbuja0512 36 5,067 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!! LevelUP 2 439 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Holidays and New Year 2022! bjcheung77 7 991 12-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Halloween 2020! bjcheung77 2 954 10-31-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!!! LevelUP 3 1,988 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 612 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,087 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 533 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,853 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,087 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger