Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APA
In my grad program I'm in a grad writing and research course. We have to read the APA publication manual. Oh my word! Who sits there and thinks up how to format papers? The rules are insane. No one outside of academia writes like this. I can't imagine how fun the meetings are when they are deciding to make changes. Watching paint dry is probably really exciting to those folks. I now know way more about which font and font size to use in a variety of APA papers now.....which I'll never use outside of college. LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • bluebooger, jch
You actually have to read the thing as if it were literature? That sounds like being assigned to read the dictionary. I thought it was a reference like an encyclopedia and wasn't really meant to be read cover to cover.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Vle045
(07-07-2021, 02:38 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You actually have to read the thing as if it were literature? That sounds like being assigned to read the dictionary. I thought it was a reference like an encyclopedia and wasn't really meant to be read cover to cover.

It's written as chapters in a book. 12 chapters. It's over 400 pages. I've only had to read 1 chapter and hope I never have to read anything else from it. My brain can't take it! LOL Purdue OWL is soooooo much easier. The dictionary doesn't have section after section about fonts or indenting. Crazy stuff! Watching paint dry is an Olympic sport after reading this. It was that exciting.

I just checked the syllabus and we won't be reading from the book again. Phew. Reading an encyclopedia would be fun compared to this. Especially if you pull out the M volume. You could read about meteors, meerkats, monkeys, Maine, Mercury - the planet and the element. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
I couldn't make a specific recommendation but I know there are a lot of software packages available to will do most of the heavy lifting if you were to write an essay/research for publication.  These days it seems less necessary to read up on such things.  It's good to have a general sense of how these things are done but no one actually "knows" all that stuff.  You look it up as you need it.  Hopefully they don't force too much of it on you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-07-2021, 04:18 PM)Alpha Wrote: I couldn't make a specific recommendation but I know there are a lot of software packages available to will do most of the heavy lifting if you were to write an essay/research for publication.  These days it seems less necessary to read up on such things.  It's good to have a general sense of how these things are done but no one actually "knows" all that stuff.  You look it up as you need it.  Hopefully they don't force too much of it on you.

Exactly! I've always just had to look up bits and pieces. Reading about the actually formatting is mind numbing. I will refer to online sources like Purdue OWL and not search through a 400+ page book for what I need. I imagine that's what 99% of students would do.
I just use a citation generator
https://www.scribbr.com/apa-citation-generator/

https://www.scribbr.com/category/apa-style/
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • Pikachu
(07-07-2021, 04:52 PM)bluebooger Wrote: I just use a citation generator            
https://www.scribbr.com/apa-citation-generator/

https://www.scribbr.com/category/apa-style/

That's what I use for citations. There's waaaaay more to APA than just the citations. The APA has a 400+ page manual on this nonsense.
(07-07-2021, 02:38 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You actually have to read the thing as if it were literature? That sounds like being assigned to read the dictionary. I thought it was a reference like an encyclopedia and wasn't really meant to be read cover to cover.
As part of the MS-Psychology program at Walden, I had to read through 2 APA chapters!!
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(07-07-2021, 08:39 PM)Supermind Wrote:
As part of the MS-Psychology program at Walden, I had to read through 2 APA chapters!!

Oh I'm so sorry! I had to read 1 chapter and my brain melted.
I have to admit that I have done so many papers in APA that I'm woken up at night realizing I had been dreaming about APA formatting and editing.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics