Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASPSS from TESC - How to use FEMAs
Hello all.

My son has been working on a CBE degree for about a year. The toughest part has not been passing courses, as he has applied himself pretty well. The tough part has been finding out what career best suits him and what education works with our finances. Originally he went for a business degree, then we considered a simple Liberal Arts Associates. Now we're thinking about a ASPAA, because he really wants to be in some sort of helping profession, but not medicine.

Here are the credits he has so far.

Humanities
CLEP Humanities
DSST Art of the Western World

Social Sciences
CLEP American Government
CLEP US History 1
DSST Civil War
CLEP Sociology

Natural Science
DSST Intro to Computing
CLEP Info Systems and Computer Applications

Business
CLEP Management
DSST Supervision
CLEP Introduction to Business

7 FEMAs (The Professional Development Series)

We know he needs English Comp w/ Essay, College Mathematics, Natural Science (maybe Astronomy) and Psychology which can be finished with CLEPs. Does anyone have experience with TESC and this degree? How many FEMAs did you use and which ones? Did you complete the practicum while finishing your degree? If so, what position is a student fresh out of high school going to be able to fill?

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
I am not very good with the degree alphabet soup( it took me a while to figure out BSBA:o ) I have worked in so many chemistry/biology areas that all have their own alphabet soup that I sometimes look at things like ALEK and come up with crazy chemical names.

I was looking at the TESC AS degree options and it would seem the FEMA's they would accept would depend on what area he wanted to specialize in. If he went for the emergency services they would probably take the most.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Operalady, Just a quick FYI, I was told by TESC Advising these two courses duplicate:

COS-101 DSST Intro to Computing
COS-101 CLEP Info Systems and Computer Applications

But as we all know with TESC YMMV (your miles may vary).

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Operalady, Just a quick FYI, I was told by TESC Advising these two courses duplicate:

COS-101 DSST Intro to Computing
COS-101 CLEP Info Systems and Computer Applications

But as we all know with TESC YMMV (your miles may vary).

You are probably right but we had heard conflicting info on that one, especilly for a business degree, so we went for the second exam after a pass on the first. When each of us apply we'll find out. The wasy I see it we learned more, and spent way less than sitting in class for a semester.

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
operalady Wrote:You are probably right but we had heard conflicting info on that one, especilly for a business degree, so we went for the second exam after a pass on the first. When each of us apply we'll find out. The wasy I see it we learned more, and spent way less than sitting in class for a semester.

:iagree:

Please let us know if that is the case, I would have taken the CLEP as well if possible to get additional credit. It's quite alarming that TESC has no standard of practice; also quite annoying to hear about and be part of their quirky credit award decisions.

Before all is said and done I may just sit for the test, along with prin of supervision, just for the heck of it. Never know what you may need in later studies.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote::iagree:

Before all is said and done I may just sit for the test, along with prin of supervision, just for the heck of it. Never know what you may need in later studies.

This was our thinking. If we get the credit that is great. If not we'll cover with FEMAs and be glad we learned something.

Passed:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,674 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,459 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,207 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,997 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,371 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,780 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,757 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,341 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,909 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,982 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77