Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASU ENG 101 vs ENG 102
I'm curious if anyone here has taken the Arizona State Universal Learner (formerly "Earned Admissions") English Composition courses.

I am most of the way through ENG 101.   I needed some RA credits and this seemed like a good option, especially when I read it was self-graded and self-paced.   But don't let that fool you, it's a bit of work.   

It has 20 writing assignments (Writer's Journals) of 500+ words and then 5 larger assignments (Writing Projects) of 500 to 1,000 words, so 25 total assignments.   It also has chapter quizzes, and some participation assignments as well.    And in addition to all of that, you must build a website to hold your work.   

I have completed 16 of the 20, and 4 of the 5, respectively, so I'm on the downhill run now and will finish this course up.   I've been doing other classes along with it, along with work and family life, so it hasn't been my only focus.  

I started early May and just haven't been all that motivated to work on it but in small spurts because, (A) I have a full year to complete it, and (B) hardly any of the assignments do I find interesting enough to want to do.    

I had penned in the ENG 102 course with them, but if it's the same amount of work crammed into an 8 week course because it doesn't have a self-paced option, then I doubt I'll do that one.   I was just curious if anyone had taken them both if they could compare the amount of writing assignments between them.   Finishing this one in 8 weeks would probably only have been doable for me if I had not been taking any other classes with it.   

I'm open to other suggestions, especially if you have a self-paced RA option.   If I remove the RA credits from my plan, I need to replace them somewhere else.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes NC Coach's post:
  • Pikachu
My son started it, but really hated the peer-review thing and ended up stopping. He didn't learn $425 worth of material to make it worth my paying for.

The ENG 102 course is supposed to be a lot more work - you write a 25-page research paper. I could be wrong on that.

You can do self-paced English Comp II via TEL Learning instead. You just choose a school that brings it in as English Comp II (MACU, Lane, McM or York - I suggest MACU). It's also cheaper - $67/cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
A 25 page research paper for Comp 2????! Get out of here! That's NUTS!
(07-19-2021, 08:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My son started it, but really hated the peer-review thing and ended up stopping.  He didn't learn $425 worth of material to make it worth my paying for.

The ENG 102 course is supposed to be a lot more work - you write a 25-page research paper.  I could be wrong on that.

You can do self-paced English Comp II via TEL Learning instead. You just choose a school that brings it in as English Comp II (MACU, Lane, McM or York - I suggest MACU).  It's also cheaper - $67/cr.

Thanks, that might be an option for sure.   Any feedback on that course, by chance?

I just found ONU also has it and it's self-paced.   I need to take their upper level history course (pursuing the BA in History at TESU) so that might work to lessen the number of transcripts needed.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
I started ENG 102 when it was $99. I never finished it because it was a lot of work. I think it would be a better option than Sophia, regardless, but ONU or TEL are better still.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Arto
(07-20-2021, 01:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I started ENG 102 when it was $99. I never finished it because it was a lot of work. I think it would be a better option than Sophia, regardless, but ONU or TEL are better still.

Thank you.  I appreciate that feedback.

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
Does it have to come from an RA source? I am asking as some of the providers such as Sophia.org/Study.com and StraighterLine have written assignments. Not all alternative education course credits are through similar classes, some are just exams. If you're fine with taking exams, that may be the route to go, if you want to learn more and retain the info, then taking similar ACE recommended for college credit may suffice for you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-20-2021, 05:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Does it have to come from an RA source? I am asking as some of the providers such as Sophia.org/Study.com and StraighterLine have written assignments.  Not all alternative education course credits are through similar classes, some are just exams.  If you're fine with taking exams, that may be the route to go, if you want to learn more and retain the info, then taking similar ACE recommended for college credit may suffice for you.

No, not necessarily, but I do need to replace another class with RA credit if I take that off because when I designed my degree plan I had both English Comp classes from ASU.   

I still have the following classes remaining (in addition to ENG 102) for a History degree at TESU and can probably switch something out for RA credit.
  • TESU Cornerstone and Capstone, of course
  • Oral Communication:  I have SDC COM 120 here.
  • American Government:  I have Straighterline here
  • Art History 1 & 2 from Sophia (just started on 1)
  • 2 classes (6 credits) of free electives for which I have penciled in Business Law and Introduction to Finance from Sophia
  • All history area of study courses remain (except US History 1 & 2 which I completed through Sophia).  This includes: Western Civ 1 & 2 (Straighterline), Historiography (SDC History 301), Non-Western History (ONU Latin American History) and 4 classes of History electives, of which I hoped Sophia's new history class with the long name will be one of them.  The other 3 will have to be RA credits. 
So yes, I do have the ability to switch the ENG 102 to something like Sophia or SL, and then replace the RA credit elsewhere.

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(07-19-2021, 08:04 PM)NC Coach Wrote: It has 20 writing assignments (Writer's Journals) of 500+ words and then 5 larger assignments (Writing Projects) of 500 to 1,000 words, so 25 total assignments.   It also has chapter quizzes, and some participation assignments as well.    And in addition to all of that, you must build a website to hold your work.   

Quizzes, participation assignments, 25 written assignments, and just for shits and giggles go ahead and build your own website to list all your projects.  Why not just for fun throw in a requirement to learn the Chinese language from scratch and do an additional assignment along with an oral presentation???  LOL 

Jesus Christ!  How many hours did it take you to do all of that?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-20-2021, 06:29 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 08:04 PM)NC Coach Wrote: It has 20 writing assignments (Writer's Journals) of 500+ words and then 5 larger assignments (Writing Projects) of 500 to 1,000 words, so 25 total assignments.   It also has chapter quizzes, and some participation assignments as well.    And in addition to all of that, you must build a website to hold your work.   

Quizzes, participation assignments, 25 written assignments, and just for shits and giggles go ahead and build your own website to list all your projects.  Why not just for fun throw in a requirement to learn the Chinese language from scratch and do an additional assignment along with an oral presentation???  LOL 

Jesus Christ!  How many hours did it take you to do all of that?

I honestly don't know, LOL.   Probably not nearly as many hours as it felt like.    Big Grin

I have built websites before so I had my site up in just a couple hours or less, including reading all the requirements for it.   We had to create "About" pages as well.   

The assignments don't take me forever, but there are a number of video lectures that I typically play at faster than normal speed, or just read the transcripts, so I can progress through the course with some idea what to do next.   

I cannot say it's a terrible class.  If it was writing about subjects that interest me I would probably have enjoyed it because I am not adverse to writing in general.   Lord knows I do a TON of it at work.   

However, I would not recommend it to anyone who isn't a bit tech-savvy so they can build their site and maintain it.   Some of the writing assignments require you to add images, videos, or other multimodal elements as well.   The forum has plenty of people who struggle with that part of it asking for help.    The professor does respond to every single post that I have seen, even when they post for help in the wrong area.   

But I'm sure there are much easier/better courses out there, both RA and ACE.   I'm going to finish it, though.  I'm too far along to stop now.    Tongue

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 2 users Like NC Coach's post:
  • jch, Pikachu