Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based
Good news. My significant other has asked me whats the absolute fastest they can upgrade from an associate in nursing to a BSN with the goal of going into an NP program later.

I figured it's gotta be either WGU or TAMUC. WGU is pass/fail which is not ideal for getting into an NP program. So we're going to give TAMUC a go. The BSN is not run by the College of Innovation and Design so I'm expecting the possibility it may differ from what we're used to. 

It's $1000 per semester vs the CIDs $730 programs. Once we get a credit evaluation and get enrolled, I'll start reporting what the program and classes are like. My partner has I think 97 credit hours from their Associates.
[-] The following 3 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ltw900rr, mohelena02
American College of Education (ACE) a CCNE accredited school. "$7950*" with 90 applicable credits. https://ace.edu/degree-programs/bachelor.../rn-to-bsn
(02-17-2024, 10:31 AM)Airamb Wrote: American College of Education (ACE) a CCNE accredited school. "$7950*" with 90 applicable credits. https://ace.edu/degree-programs/bachelor.../rn-to-bsn

That's a good option, but we think we can pull it off in two to four 7-week semesters which would put us at $2-4k. I think they're looking to just save time but if we can save both time AND money, it's a win-win. And a widely recognized state school system brand in our region is icing on the cake!
(02-17-2024, 10:57 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 10:31 AM)Airamb Wrote: American College of Education (ACE) a CCNE accredited school. "$7950*" with 90 applicable credits. https://ace.edu/degree-programs/bachelor.../rn-to-bsn

That's a good option, but we think we can pull it off in two to four 7-week semesters which would put us at $2-4k. I think they're looking to just save time but if we can save both time AND money, it's a win-win. And a widely recognized state school system brand in our region is icing on the cake!

Could you please provide a link to the program?  Is the tuition you quote, for Texas State residents? I'm guessing TAMUC stands for Texas A&M?
Other CBE RN-to-BSNs:

University of Wisconsin Milwaukee via Wisconsin Flex
Capella University FlexPath
Walden University Tempo
University of Phoenix Competency-Based
Rasmussen University (competency-based delivery, credit-hour-based pricing)
Wow, awesome offering... Here's the link to the program referenced in the thread: https://www.tamuc.edu/programs/nursing-rn-to-bsn/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Airamb
As I look at the core requirements, the "foundational coursework" is common to all ASN programs. However, instead of 4 credits in Chemistry, I have 3, or 4 credits in Microbiology, I have 3. It's possible the general education requirements do not streamline into every RN to BSN program making the program much longer than 30 credits!

https://coursecatalog.tamuc.edu/undergra...rn-to-bsn/

Even ACE states, "Students are required to complete ninety (90) semester credits in addition to the credits listed in ACE course list for satisfactory completion of the program. Inclusive of the ninety (90) semester credits, a required thirty* (30) semester credits of general education must align with the Indiana College Core as defined in the College’s General Education Requirements policy." https://ace.edu/degree-programs/bachelor.../rn-to-bsn

My point is, that these "30-credit RN to BSN" programs may require retaking coursework depending on school and state requirements which means more time and cost. It would be nice to simply find a "30-credit" RN to BSN program that accepts the ASN with 90 credits and does not require a repeat of general education.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Airamb's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(02-17-2024, 10:03 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: Good news. My significant other has asked me whats the absolute fastest they can upgrade from an associate in nursing to a BSN with the goal of going into an NP program later.

I figured it's gotta be either WGU or TAMUC. WGU is pass/fail which is not ideal for getting into an NP program. So we're going to give TAMUC a go. The BSN is not run by the College of Innovation and Design so I'm expecting the possibility it may differ from what we're used to. 

It's $1000 per semester vs the CIDs $730 programs. Once we get a credit evaluation and get enrolled, I'll start reporting what the program and classes are like. My partner has I think 97 credit hours from their Associates.

I know many nurses, including myself that went to WGU and have been accepted into NP school, including Yale. WGU has their own NP program also. I wouldn't be concerned about the pass/fail format. It's honestly not really pass/fail, it's a tad bit more complex than that. Her/his year(s) in specialty, total years as a nurse, certifications, volunteerism, and solid recommendation letters are going to be critical too, not just grades. I'm sure he/she knows that. Either way tho, please keep us informed of how their experience is once enrolled in TAMUC if they decide to go that route.

By the way, I finished WGU in one term. It cost me a smidge over $3000, and that was without using my $5,200 a year reimbursement (which, looking back I should have used.) Either way, spending that $3000 gave me a ridiculous boost in my salary. I kid you not when I say my salary jumped about (a lot)
(02-17-2024, 12:27 PM)Airamb Wrote: As I look at the core requirements, the "foundational coursework" is common to all ASN programs. However, instead of 4 credits in Chemistry, I have 3, or 4 credits in Microbiology, I have 3. It's possible the general education requirements do not streamline into every RN to BSN program making the program much longer than 30 credits!

https://coursecatalog.tamuc.edu/undergra...rn-to-bsn/

Even ACE states, "Students are required to complete ninety (90) semester credits in addition to the credits listed in ACE course list for satisfactory completion of the program. Inclusive of the ninety (90) semester credits, a required thirty* (30) semester credits of general education must align with the Indiana College Core as defined in the College’s General Education Requirements policy." https://ace.edu/degree-programs/bachelor.../rn-to-bsn

My point is, that these "30-credit RN to BSN" programs may require retaking coursework depending on school and state requirements which means more time and cost. It would be nice to simply find a "30-credit" RN to BSN program that accepts the ASN with 90 credits and does not require a repeat of general education.

I see what you're saying about potentially having to do things over. I think only way to know for sure is for OP to speak with someone(s) at the school. I do know for sure that WGU is definitely doable and is generous about transferring a significant portion of the degree. Hopefully OP reports back and lets us know if this school is a viable option in terms of credit transfer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC Happy first day of Spring 1 ltw900rr 28 2,030 Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  TAMUC class review ltw900rr 24 3,947 03-24-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: funknola
  Bsnipedavis - TAMUC - Assistance Requested Bsnipedavis 20 1,983 03-16-2024, 08:50 AM
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,689 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 85 12,251 01-12-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TAMUC ORGL - Complete! fromthedepths 10 1,283 01-11-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: fromthedepths
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 47 6,097 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM
  TAMUC - Sophia advanced hours telldomis 3 555 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,985 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,463 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM