Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Academic Advising
I'm just curious if anyone here has considered taking their advising roles into an actual paid position at a university or college? It seems that most of us would be well suited for the role especially with the experience gained through this and other websites. Though, now that I think about it, maybe we would all get run out of our positions for recommending too much alternative credit haha
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
Before I started my current program, I looked at openings for advisement positions. They all wanted related experience. Some even wanted masters degrees in education. I guess the easiest way to get your foot in the door is to start out as a student worker. They would probably look at me crazy if I were to tell them that my experience comes from posting on a forum. hilarious I do know one thing: Many members of this forum could advise Big 3 students with their eyes closed and do a much better job than the people they hire. But, yeah, I would probably be ostracized for telling students how to complete their degrees for less than $5,000.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Well, we love you for it, Sanatone.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:Well, we love you for it, Sanatone.

Thank you, and I love this forum.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
defscarlett Wrote:I'm just curious if anyone here has considered taking their advising roles into an actual paid position at a university or college? It seems that most of us would be well suited for the role especially with the experience gained through this and other websites. Though, now that I think about it, maybe we would all get run out of our positions for recommending too much alternative credit haha

I just had this same thought and convo with my spouse last week! I think I would love the job, but I get paid very well in my current job and don't think I can "start over" a third time.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I did academic advising from 1992-1996.
It's not what you think. The goal isn't to advise the person, it's to advise the student; to guide enrollment.

Edit: It's a little like working for McDonalds, you don't get to suggest they get their burger from McD, their fries from Hardees, and bring a drink from home. That's what we do HERE, we do the good stuff. When you're an employee, you're loyalties are in-house.
cookderosa Wrote:I did academic advising from 1992-1996.
It's not what you think. The goal isn't to advise the person, it's to advise the student; to guide enrollment.

Edit: It's a little like working for McDonalds, you don't get to suggest they get their burger from McD, their fries from Hardees, and bring a drink from home. That's what we do HERE, we do the good stuff. When you're an employee, you're loyalties are in-house.

Explains why you're so good at it Smile

I'm actually a little surprised about the loyalties part, even with a non-profit? I know schools always prefer students take their specific courses because that is the intent of the program, but I figured the school would be helpful in regards to outside sources (CLEP, concurrent enrollment, etc).

Interesting.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Explains why you're so good at it Smile

I'm actually a little surprised about the loyalties part, even with a non-profit? I know schools always prefer students take their specific courses because that is the intent of the program, but I figured the school would be helpful in regards to outside sources (CLEP, concurrent enrollment, etc).

Interesting.

I worked for Eastern Iowa Community College District for 18 years (the last 14 only as an instructor), and we accept 45 out of 60 CLEP credits toward the completion of a degree. We are also a testing center. I'd never heard of CLEP until around 2005 despite our college's liberal policy. (I'd been in an administrative role AND led the apprenticeship committee at that point for 13 years)
I've shared this story many times, but in our dept (AAS Culinary & Hospitality) our students complete a 3 year apprenticeship which is roughly 87 credits. There were 15 gen eds in that group, so typical progression was 2.5 years on only culinary, last semester gen eds. Of course, as a culinary apprentice, you're working at your site for 40 hours per week minimum, which means no time for gen eds. Though we NOW offer online options, we didn't for the first 15 years of our program, so it was typical for students to drop out in the last semester. Simply, they couldn't be on campus for 4-5 days a week for gen eds and still do their apprenticeship. HUNDREDS of my students dropped with >60 credits and no degree. They could have CLEPped. I should have told them. I didn't know. Even after I learned, I'd tried to educate the other AAS dept chairs (all non-transfer degrees are advised by dept chairs) but it's still not encouraged. That experience was part of where my fire comes from.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Academic Drama Alpha 0 592 10-07-2021, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  I sure hope TESU advising is having a good break, because they are going to freak... eriehiker 15 3,586 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Academic Evaluation trick traveler 3 1,145 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the last academic subject you would want to study? sanantone 16 3,110 03-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Last Post: hightecrebel