Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise for criminal justice degree
Hello,
First, I would like to thank all those that provide information in this forum. I stumbled upon you guys a month ago. I have spent hours reading posts and I have learned a lot. 

Currently, I am enrolled in APUS for a BA in criminal justice. I am about to finish my first class(COMM120) there. I have planned to complete a BA there, but then I stumbled upon you guys and thought that I may be able to finish a BA somewhere else a little sooner. So, I thought I would ask for your advise. I will list what credits APUS has given me in regards to transfer credits.

SPAN100 - Spanish I [IR/MOU- FLETC - Spanish Language]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
SPAN101 - Spanish II [IR/MOU- FLETC - Spanish Language]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
PSYC101 - Introduction to Psychology [East Central University - PSYCH 1113]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
SOCI111 - Introduction to Sociology [Oklahoma State University - SOC 1113]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
ENGL110 - Making Writing Relevant [East Central University - ENG 1113]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
[Brigham Young University - MATH 100G]  (Transfer Credit)  3
LSTD302 - Criminal Law [IR/MOU- POST Basic LE Training - POST]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
CMRJ101 - Evidence and Procedures [IR/MOU- POST Basic LE Training - POST]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
CMRJ203 - Patrol Methodologies & Community Policing [IR/MOU- POST Basic LE Training - POST]  (Transfer Credit)  3/3
OMNI398 - OMNIBUS CREDIT [IR/MOU- FLETC - Immigration & Nationality Law (UL)]  (Transfer Credit)  3
OMNI399 - Omnibus Credit [IR/MOU- FLETC - Basic Law Enforcement (UL)]  (Transfer Credit)  2
OMNI498 - OMNIBUS CREDIT [TEEX-Texas Engineering Extension Service Certificate - Criminal Investigation (UL)]  (Transfer Credit)  3
[East Central University - HPER K1151]  (Transfer Credit)  1
[Brigham Young University - FDREL 275]  (Transfer Credit)  2
[Brigham Young University - GS 120]  (Transfer Credit)  3
[Brigham Young University - ENG 106]  (Transfer Credit)  3
[Brigham Young University - FDREL 250]  (Transfer Credit)  2
[Brigham Young University - FDREL 200]  (Transfer Credit)  2
[IR/MOU- FLETC - Law Enforcement Elective]  (Transfer Credit)  5
[IR/MOU- NREMT - EMT-B]  (Transfer Credit)  6
[IR/MOU- POST Basic LE Training - POST]  (Transfer Credit)  5
[EMI-ISP - EMI IS Courses]  (Transfer Credit)  12

So, this totals 76 hours. Like I said above, I will finish comm120 next week for 3 more hours. In addition, thanks to you guys, I have taken Hist101 and BIO201 through Straighterline. None of these hours(9) are reflected yet. With the Straighterline and COMM120, looks like I have 85 hours total.

According to APUS, I can take 3 more hours of "non-traditional" credit and 5 hours of traditional credit to transfer in. I plan to take another Straighterline course for the 3 "non-traditional" credits. Then, whatever the fastest/easiest "traditional" 5 hours to transfer in that you guys recommend. Should I just continue on at APUS, or is there a different route that could be faster/cheaper? If I stay at APUS, I need 3 more hours in gen ed english/communications. If I complete the 8 hours of transfer credit, I will have 8 classes plus the capstone to complete at APUS. Is it worth trying to transfer to TESU or somewhere else?

Thank you guys for taking the time to post here. I have learned so much. Like I said, I took the straighterline courses and teex course because i read about them here.

Thanks again,
Huero
So, going from what a school gives you is not a good way to get info. Instead, you need to look at your transcripts and give us the info from there. Do this:

School (semester or quarter, RA or NA)
Course #, Full Course name, grade if less than a C, number of credits

Repeat for each school, include APU

Then do course providers (probably just SL) and give the course name (I don't know things based on just a course number, more info needed)

Once you have everything here, we can better help.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
UMPI does offer Criminal Justice https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-crim...stice.aspx
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
(03-18-2021, 01:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, going from what a school gives you is not a good way to get info.  Instead, you need to look at your transcripts and give us the info from there.  Do this:

School (semester or quarter, RA or NA)

Repeat for each school, include APU

Then do course providers (probably just SL) and give the course name (I don't know things based on just a course number, more info needed)

Once you have everything here, we can better help.
Okay.  I will search around for my transcripts tonight. When I gather them up, I will post everything here.  

Thank you. 
Huero

(03-18-2021, 01:35 PM)ashkir Wrote: UMPI does offer Criminal Justice https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-crim...stice.aspx

Ashkir, 
Would there be an advantage to going through UMPI? I will go to their site right now and look around. 

Thank you, 
Huero
There's the potential to complete a degree faster and for less using Sophia and your completed courses then transferring to UMPI. They have a BA in Criminal Justice. When you list your courses with names and where they were taken, I can give you an idea on what you'd need to complete on Sophia to transfer to UMPI to finish your degree.
Different schools have different requirements, and will cost different amounts to complete a degree there. The Big 3 may or may not be good choices, simply because it will depend upon whether you meet at the requirements in the major, and if not, if there is an inexpensive way to get those courses via alternative credit.

Once you know what the Big 3 will require, and how much it would cost to finish there, your next option is to compare that to UMPI.

Then you can make the best possible decision.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-18-2021, 04:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Different schools have different requirements, and will cost different amounts to complete a degree there.  The Big 3 may or may not be good choices, simply because it will depend upon whether you meet at the requirements in the major, and if not, if there is an inexpensive way to get those courses via alternative credit.

Once you know what the Big 3 will require, and how much it would cost to finish there, your next option is to compare that to UMPI.

I see, that makes sense.
I am gathering things up now. I am a bit worried because much of my transfer credits come from a police academy, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, and FEMA. So, even though I have those transcripts, they are just course numbers like, "IS-00003 Radiological Emergency Management, 1.0 IACET CEU's" There are probably more than 100 of those type courses. In fact, there are 45 of those for just FEMA. APUS granted 12 hours credit for those 45 courses.  Should I list each one of those?

Thank you guys,
Huero
(03-18-2021, 05:10 PM)huero Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 04:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Different schools have different requirements, and will cost different amounts to complete a degree there.  The Big 3 may or may not be good choices, simply because it will depend upon whether you meet at the requirements in the major, and if not, if there is an inexpensive way to get those courses via alternative credit.

I see, that makes sense.
I am gathering things up now. I am a bit worried because much of my transfer credits come from a police academy, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, and FEMA. So, even though I have those transcripts, they are just course numbers like, "IS-00003 Radiological Emergency Management, 1.0 IACET CEU's" There are probably more than 100 of those type courses. In fact, there are 45 of those for just FEMA. APUS granted 12 hours credit for those 45 courses.  Should I list each one of those?

Thank you guys,
Huero

Don't waste your time listing the FEMA courses. Only Excelsior accepts them, but you have to pay like $80 a credit and jump through hoops to get the credits. List out the courses you took at colleges, ACE credits, NCCRS credits. 
Okay Guys, here goes:

East Central University 1991
ENF1113 Freshman Comp 3.00
HPER1151 Team Sports 1.00
Pysch1113 General Psychology 3.00

Oklahoma State University 1997
Soc1113 Intro to Sociology 3.00

Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training(CLEET) 1996
Basic Police Academy
Basic Instructor 2002

Federal Law Enforcement Training Center 1998
Border Patrol Academy
Air Marshal Training 2001/02

BYU-I 2016/17
FDREL275 teachings of the scriptures 2.00
GS120 Pathway Life Skills 3.00
FDREL250 Jesus Christ 2.00
Math100G Personal Finance 3.00
ENG106 Basic Writing 3.00
FDREL200 eternal family 2.00

FEMA 2021
45 Independent Study courses

TEEX 2021
FSA114 Death Investigations

Straighterline 2021
US History I
Anatomy and Physiology I

I think that's it. Sure doesn't seem like that much.

Thank you,
Huero
Ya, I'm weird, If you are going to further your education to a Masters level for example - I would recommend any "degree" from the Big 3 or Competency Based Degree providers such as WGU, UMPI or UMASS Global and get a Masters in Criminal Justice from Walden when they have the 50% off discount for the life of the program (if they ever get it again).

Option 2: If you have the energy/money/time, you can go for a Bachelors in CJ at the Big 3 or if you want to go UMPI for the BA CJ and a Masters in CJ or in a completely different field. One thing to note, some Masters in CJ doesn't really require you to have a Bachelors in CJ. So you can get a more usable BA or BS in something else then ladder into MA CJ...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 7 119 23 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 187 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 170 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,860 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 226 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,616 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 229 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 647 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,225 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 265 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az