Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable Doctoral Programs?
One of my bigger regrets in life, and it's a mixed regret, is leaving my PhD fellowship (full ride plus generous monthly living expense stipend) to pursue a career I was interested in once I earned my Masters degree. I was really done with school at that point, and I think it was likely time for me to move on - but LSU was paying my tuition, books, rent, and other bills and I walked away from it for a $10 an hour job doing something I loved. Anyway, twenty-something years later, my kids are grown, my younger son is just starting college, and now I'm feeling the pull to give it another go. I could look into local options - we have a college-rich environment here - but online is so much more appealing to me.

So - any suggestions for starting points for a degree in either sociology, psychology, or education? I have my preferences, but I'd like to look at all three. My masters degree is in sociology/criminology, and I graduated with a 3.9 (one B in my entire college/grad school career. Didn't get along with my environmental science prof). I doubt it's remotely affordable/doable, but I'd like to at least consider it.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
If you can afford to pay cash, California Southern University charges $495 per credit hour for its online doctorate in psychology. American College of Education is another school that doesn't participate in financial aid; they have a doctor of education that's only around $22k total. University of the Cumberlands is a conservative Christian school that will allow you to transfer credits from your master's program into their PhD program in education. The tuition at Liberty University is not bad if you find a way to get the public safety discount. You'll likely find nothing for sociology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • MSK9
I think U of Cumberlands would let you do a concentration in sociology or psychology. Also if you're mostly doing it for personal reasons, there are some very cheap foreign schools. There are also NA schools. Ed.D degrees tend to be cheaper as well as DBA.

I forgot about UNISA, but that school is a pain to deal with.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Also, I don't know what your schedule is like, but apparently many people get a free degree by getting a graduate assistantship locally. (Plus get a stipend for toward expenses.)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Lace
Christian schools are out of the question. I've checked out a few of the places recommended as well as one or two others, and it's hard to find a PsyD which will do me any good in Louisiana. State schools here offer limited online masters degrees, but no doctorates. I am perhaps being utterly silly even considering this.
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
(06-02-2018, 09:03 AM)rowan555 Wrote: Christian schools are out of the question. I've checked out a few of the places recommended as well as one or two others, and it's hard to find a PsyD which will do me any good in Louisiana. State schools here offer limited online masters degrees, but no doctorates. I am perhaps being utterly silly even considering this.

So, you want a psychology degree that will lead to licensure? I didn't think that was the case since you're also interested in education and sociology. There are psychologists who are practitioners, and there are psychologists who are researchers.

University of the Western States will reduce the number of credits you'll need if you have a related masters. They have an Ed.D program in sports psychology that's designed to meet LPC/ LMHC practicum requirements. They are not super cheap, however. They charge $600 per quarter hour. If you have transfer credits, you'll need around 60 quarter hours to finish, which would come out to about $36k. It's not too bad. Many pay more for a master's.

ULM offers an online Ed.D and PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy. The PhD is non-clinical. 

http://www.ulm.edu/onlinedegrees/doctorate_degree.html
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I kind of feel like if I'm going to go that route, may as well have the option for licensure. I'll keep on checking out the recommended schools, thanks.

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around these tuition rates because I didn't spend a dime for any of my undergrad or grad school experience - one more reason I feel sort of silly for walking away from it.

(06-02-2018, 01:20 PM)rowan555 Wrote: I kind of feel like if I'm going to go that route, may as well have the option for licensure. I'll keep on checking out the recommended schools, thanks.

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around these tuition rates because I didn't spend a dime for any of my undergrad or grad school experience - one more reason I feel sort of silly for walking away from it.

I've only come across two online programs with possible assistantships, but that was years ago.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-02-2018, 01:13 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 09:03 AM)rowan555 Wrote: Christian schools are out of the question. I've checked out a few of the places recommended as well as one or two others, and it's hard to find a PsyD which will do me any good in Louisiana. State schools here offer limited online masters degrees, but no doctorates. I am perhaps being utterly silly even considering this.

So, you want a psychology degree that will lead to licensure? I didn't think that was the case since you're also interested in education and sociology. There are psychologists who are practitioners, and there are psychologists who are researchers.

University of the Western States will reduce the number of credits you'll need if you have a related masters. They have an Ed.D program in sports psychology that's designed to meet LPC/ LMHC practicum requirements. They are not super cheap, however. They charge $600 per quarter hour. If you have transfer credits, you'll need around 60 quarter hours to finish, which would come out to about $36k. It's not too bad. Many pay more for a master's.

ULM offers an online Ed.D and PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy. The PhD is non-clinical. 

http://www.ulm.edu/onlinedegrees/doctorate_degree.html
So are you looking for a Clinical Psychology PHD program? 
(I just found out that there are 5 states that allows psychologists to prescribe, one of them is LA.)  
I believe I saw that NMSU offers a Postdoctoral M.S. in Clinical Psychopharmacology (MSCP) Degree 
https://hr.nmsu.edu/uar/wp-content/uploa...al_Rev.pdf and might be an option that seems reasonably priced.
Also, Fort Hays also has reasonably priced tuition rates (imho) & I've taken classes there and would highly recommend them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 30 18,399 3 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 625 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 506 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 443 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 629 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Affordable Indiana University Kelley Bschool Online Masters smartdegree 6 783 01-19-2024, 12:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,315 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Most affordable online Master in Finance for international student David1477 23 2,346 12-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,683 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,504 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77