Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afrotc
Hey,

I'm interested in possibly joining the Air Force after I finish my BSBA and I'd love to get the opinions of those of you who are currently in the military (esp. Air Force).
If I join it would be as an officer entering their flight school. My Grandad was a AF fighter pilot but that was so long ago that he can't really help me out too much.
So a few Q's:

I'm 19 and am not currently enrolled in a B&M University, Does this rule out my ability to join an AFROTC program?

Is AFROTC even something I should try to get involved in or should I just wait until I finish my degree and join then?

What are my odds of actually getting any money out of Uncle Sam for grad school?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going Reserves over going Active (besides the obvious advantage of not ending up in the desert somewhere)

and finally, Is the whole military thing just a nightmare that should be avoided?

I apologize if these seem like dumb questions I figured since I had access to all of you Military people I'd pop a few Q's and get some opinions.

thanks for your time!
[SIZE="1"]
BSBA Gen'l Management-TESC

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
CLEP's Completed:
Western Civ I&II-62,58 respectively
US History I&II-both 65
Freshman Comp-65
Natural Sciences-51:confused:
Humanities-62
Macro&Micro Eco-66,68 respectively
Social Sciences and History-54
Principles of Marketing-66
American Gov't-61
Intro to Psych-68
Human Growth & Development-63
A&IL-70
P of Management-63
English Comp w/essay-62:hurray:
BizLaw-67

DSST's completed: P of Supervision-452, Orgz'l Behavior-73, HRM-60, Intro to Business-449, Intro to comp'ing-429, MIS-446, M&B-59, P of Finance-427, P of Financial Accounting-64, BizLaw2- 68, Biz Ethics-

ALEK's courses completed:
Pre-calculus
Introduction to Statistics

TECEP's:
Public Relations Thought & Practice
Ops Management
Biz Policy

TESC Courses:
Managerial *Comm*-A
[/SIZE]

Hours so far = [SIZE="4"]123[/SIZE]
I was enlisted Navy, so take my answers with a little grain of salt.

I don't know of any way that ROTC would really make a difference, or at least be worth the trouble. I say just finish your BS and then join. I don't think commissioned officers get the GI bill (don't quote me on that), but you do have the option of war colleges and I'm sure there are other programs the AF has for grad schooling. Try asking a recruiter about this, but double check what he tells you with someone who is already in because he is a salesman after all.

Going reserve does not improve your chances of not being deployed by any means. If anything, I hear of more reserve people being deployed than regular active. Even if that wasn't the case, I would say go active anyway, just my opinion. If you're going to swear an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic you may as well go all the way with it. I don't even know if they have reserve pilots. Another recruiter question.

Lastly, joining the military is not a decision that should be taken lightly, though it almost always is. It is a decision that will permanently alter your life, for better or worse. IMO, there are three kinds of people: civilian, military, and veterans. When you leave the military, you're a veteran; you will never be a civilian again. All that said, you could do much worse than AF officer. If you really want to fly, I say go for it. They have many other career options if you want to have a more part time gig or want to be able to transfer your skills to the business sector. (There's not much a pilot can do except stay in for life or start flying for commercial airlines.)
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Going reserve does not improve your chances of not being deployed by any means. If anything, I hear of more reserve people being deployed than regular active. Even if that wasn't the case, I would say go active anyway, just my opinion. If you're going to swear an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic you may as well go all the way with it. I don't even know if they have reserve pilots. Another recruiter question.

That's good advice. I struggled a couple of months with the thought of doing National Guard Reserve myself and decided not to. But yeah, if I was young I'd go "all in" the OCS route probably.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Thanks guys!

I was not aware that Officers did not qualify for the GI Bill but now that I think about it it makes perfect sense that gov't wouldn't be throwing college money at people who already had their undergrad.

I've spoken to a number of recruiters and I've found it really difficult to get clear answers to my questions. They just want you sign and go (which I am not about to do w/o fully knowing whether I'm going to get what I want out of them)

haha, recruiters are the nicest people too...I get the feeling they stretch the truth a a lot to get signatures.

Ya'll are right about active duty...if you train that long to fly combat operations you might as well fly combat.

Yeah, my grandad flew airlines after he retired from the AF and I have a buddy who's flying for Horizon right now. I would do anything but fly Airlines. Everyone tells me it's underpaid and over rated.

If anyone else has any more input please post.

thanks again!
[SIZE="1"]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
CLEP's Completed:
US History I&II-both 65
Freshman Comp-65
Humanities-62
American Gov't-61
Intro to Psych-68
A&IL-70
P of Management-63
BizLaw-67

DSST's completed: P of Supervision-452, Orgz'l Behavior-73, HRM-60, Intro to Business-449, Intro to comp'ing-429, MIS-446, M&B-59, P of Finance-427, P of Financial Accounting-64, BizLaw2- 68, Biz Ethics-

Pre-calculus

TECEP's:
Ops Management
Biz Policy

TESC Courses:
Managerial *Comm*-A
[/SIZE]

Yeah, my grandad flew airlines after he retired from the AF and I have a buddy who's flying for Horizon right now. I would do anything but fly Airlines. Everyone tells me it's underpaid and over rated.

If anyone else has any more input please post.

thanks again![/quote]

If you're really passionate about flying I'd say go for it regardless of the pay, especially since you're only 19 years old. There's only 2 professions that I've seen that people seem to truly love their jobs, firefighters and pilots. I took flying lessons in a 152, 142, and a piper warrior...loved it even when my door flung open in midflight during my first lesson:willynilly:. I never did get my PPL but plan to continue when I have extra money. Yes, I believe for the most part pilots are underpaid but those who stick with it seem to get rewarded. Finish up your Bachelor's and try to take lessons simultaneously if that's the route you choose. To be a commercial pilot you don't need a degree but I believe the majors require it and most people you will be competing with will be college graduates. Just please don't be the aging guy like myself saying should've, would've, could'vehilarious plus your 20/20 eyesight gets worse. Also, for the most up to date news in the industry logon to the pilot forums. Good luck.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
15%Luck Wrote:haha, recruiters are the nicest people too...I get the feeling they stretch the truth a a lot to get signatures.

Some are worse than others. Mine, to his credit, was nothing but honest with me. I'm not sure how much of that was due to that I was very clearly aching to join already. I have heard of some recruiters who have outright lied about the rating or MOS they were signing the recruit up for.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
taylor Wrote:If you're really passionate about flying I'd say go for it regardless of the pay, especially since you're only 19 years old. There's only 2 professions that I've seen that people seem to truly love their jobs, firefighters and pilots. I took flying lessons in a 152, 142, and a piper warrior...loved it even when my door flung open in midflight during my first lesson:willynilly:. I never did get my PPL but plan to continue when I have extra money. Yes, I believe for the most part pilots are underpaid but those who stick with it seem to get rewarded. Finish up your Bachelor's and try to take lessons simultaneously if that's the route you choose. To be a commercial pilot you don't need a degree but I believe the majors require it and most people you will be competing with will be college graduates. Just please don't be the aging guy like myself saying should've, would've, could'vehilarious plus your 20/20 eyesight gets worse. Also, for the most up to date news in the industry logon to the pilot forums. Good luck.

Point taken. Yeah I have some lessons lined for this summer. My eyesight is as good as anyone's right now. I had 20/10 last time I went in for a check up a few months ago so I think I could do the pilot thing.

I'm gonna keep thinkin' on it guys.
I'm torn up between this and law School right now.
Life changing decisions are tough Sad
[SIZE="1"]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
CLEP's Completed:
US History I&II-both 65
Freshman Comp-65
Humanities-62
American Gov't-61
Intro to Psych-68
A&IL-70
P of Management-63
BizLaw-67

Pre-calculus

TECEP's:
Ops Management
Biz Policy

TESC Courses:
Managerial *Comm*-A
[/SIZE]

15%Luck Wrote:Point taken. Yeah I have some lessons lined for this summer. My eyesight is as good as anyone's right now. I had 20/10 last time I went in for a check up a few months ago so I think I could do the pilot thing.

I'm gonna keep thinkin' on it guys.
I'm torn up between this and law School right now.
Life changing decisions are tough Sad

Law school or Flight school that's a win, win situation. Although, I'm biased towards flying because I believe it's therapeutic as well. If you haven't already, you may want to take a "demo flight" which is free. Most flight schools have this which will allow you to know almost instantaneously if you enjoy it or not.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010