Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor Financial Accounting is destroying my ginger soul
lillingworth Wrote:I searched quite a bit to see if anyone had the same problem. I even searched saylor + finance/financial but it's just a really commonly used phrase so the results are a bit jumbled. I think trying to take on this plus ALEKS stats was a bit much. It's making me consider changing to BALS as that puts me 20-30 credits closer to graduating haha.

I didn't mean for you to search for THIS Saylor course. The general overarching theme of ALL Saylor courses is that it's like taking a sip of water from a fire hose. I love the idea, I love the price, I love the open source bookshelf, I love that you can DIY and entire high school curriculum and 90 college credits for $700. Really, I love it all. EXCEPT, no part of that program is about working quickly. The other problem is their reliance on external links. It's too much. Just using their estimated course time puts you far past what a regular course would require, and that assumes you're spending no additional time studying. Before you change your major, I think you need to change your brand. This brand of curriculum is not representative of all the options you'll find discussed here.
Yes, Saylor is notorious here for having WAY too much info. I think it's better (most of the time) to learn the material elsewhere, and just use them for the cheap exams. I would never advise anyone to actually use their courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Yes, Saylor is notorious here for having WAY too much info. I think it's better (most of the time) to learn the material elsewhere, and just use them for the cheap exams. I would never advise anyone to actually use their courses.

It's a real shame. They clearly put a lot of effort into it but just miss the mark. I mean it should not be hard to cut them down to a "normal" course length. I expect the external linking is harder to solve (content ownership, IP, copyright and all that) but these courses are about 20% larger than they need to be
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
This website helped me a ton: Accounting​workbook.com - Home
Completed BSc in Business Administration (COSC) May 31st, 2017

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(Saylor) Business Law and Ethics
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
(COSC) Conerstone / Capstone
(Straighterline) Intro to Communications / Biology Lab / Business Statistics
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:It's a real shame. They clearly put a lot of effort into it but just miss the mark. I mean it should not be hard to cut them down to a "normal" course length. I expect the external linking is harder to solve (content ownership, IP, copyright and all that) but these courses are about 20% larger than they need to be
Most of their sources are Creative Commons, so hosting it themselves, or even editing isn't so much a legal issue as a logistical one. I would think that would be easier than maintaining all the links, but...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkZ6Q67Q...h_Nc4z4ihJ

I watched all of this guys lectures to prep for the CLEP (just wish I did a bit more). He is very good at getting you the info you need. However, these don't cover all the info you will likely need and there is a bunch of stuff you can skip in the videos. He did a very good job getting me the foundation I needed and now with all the accounting type courses regular financial accounting is a breeze.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
davewill Wrote:Most of their sources are Creative Commons, so hosting it themselves, or even editing isn't so much a legal issue as a logistical one. I would think that would be easier than maintaining all the links, but...

True it would be, but as they don't do a great job maintaining all the links now it would be more work Sad
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
It's not only you, I always found Saylor courses to be needlessly convoluted. The texts are dense, the course is disorganized and every minor piece of information refers to some 80 pages long PDF. I'm generally a very organized person and Saylor gives me anxiety.

My strategy for Saylor is to go through the study guides, then take the assessments. I take notes from my assessment results, then use the non-proctored final to gauge my progress. I google anything that's unclear. Rise and repeat until I'm confident I'll get a 70% or over on the proctored final. Generally, the material in the course goes in way too much depth compared to the final.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 463 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 4,450 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Managerial Accounting Sophia faptaincrunch 2 438 02-03-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 324 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,613 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 585 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,426 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 895 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Study.com accounting 303 assignment 2 Pats20 0 511 06-14-2023, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,198 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77