Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost done but need help/
I want to thank you all for your input on this forum this shaved off two years traditional college. Over the last 6 months I managed to obtain almost 60 units while working part time and getting married. Once Im finished Im hoping to continue on to a Master's in Theology.

I do need some help for the last chunk of classes. I want to take my accounting classes via TESU for GPA purposes, I'm an Accountant and the majority of the jobs Ive applied for have asked for a transcript and my GPA. The Accounting scene in Sacramento where I live is really competitive.

So I have 8 classes remaining and I'm wondering if I should take them all at TESU or some via Tecep. I know there is a residency fee if I take a certain amount of classes will that be waived? Also has anyone here been able to successfully obtain any form of aid?

The classes remaining are Intro to Computers, Principles of Finance, International Business, Strategic Management, Intermediate Accounting II, Federal Income Taxation, Auditing, and Information Systems for Accounting.
TECEPs will not help with your GPA or residency requirements, but they are fairly cheap.

The way to avoid paying the residency waiver fee is to take 16 credits worth of courses with them. That's going to be very expensive... Almost $8,000 out of state.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(this is assuming you're non-military)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:TECEPs will not help with your GPA or residency requirements, but they are fairly cheap.

The way to avoid paying the residency waiver fee is to take 16 credits worth of courses with them. That's going to be very expensive... Almost $8,000 out of state.

Yeah I'm kind of debating on what to do. -8k and get a GPA or -1k and just knock this out...
xbrad2 Wrote:Yeah I'm kind of debating on what to do. -8k and get a GPA or -1k and just knock this out...

There are MUCH cheaper ways to get a GPA than taking courses at TESU. You could take some at CC's, or at other online schools. You could take correspondence courses. Lots of other ways to get it, I wouldn't take courses at TESU just to get a GPA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:There are MUCH cheaper ways to get a GPA than taking courses at TESU. You could take some at CC's, or at other online schools. You could take correspondence courses. Lots of other ways to get it, I wouldn't take courses at TESU just to get a GPA.

Doesn't TESU require a course from them directly in order to have a GPA on their official transcript?
Quote:Only grades earned at the University will be considered in the calculation of the official Thomas Edison State University GPA. Transfer grades will not be used in calculating the official Thomas Edison State University GPA.

Source: http://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/Po...rading.cfm
Nixi Wrote:Doesn't TESU require a course from them directly in order to have a GPA on their official transcript?

Source: Policy on Grading

I thought that it had been said that if you transferred in all (most) of your courses, then this requirement didn't apply? I could be wrong. But an easier way to get a GPA is to take a 1cr course (not the cornerstone, since that doesn't give you a grade). There's no need to spend $8000 to get a GPA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I thought that it had been said that if you transferred in all (most) of your courses, then this requirement didn't apply? I could be wrong. But an easier way to get a GPA is to take a 1cr course (not the cornerstone, since that doesn't give you a grade). There's no need to spend $8000 to get a GPA.

Exactly, there's no need to spend $8K for a GPA. A 1-credit course is enough and gets you a GPA on your official TESU transcript.
Nixi Wrote:Exactly, there's no need to spend $8K for a GPA. A 1-credit course is enough and gets you a GPA on your official TESU transcript.

Okay thank you! Im still a noob, any recommendation for UL Accounting Courses?
I think this thread is confusing.

You earn graded credit whenever you take a class for a grade. If you do that at a college, you'll have that grade forever.

When you transfer a grade to TESU, it doesn't come in as a grade, but that grade never disappears- technically speaking, you have a GPA from the previous school that can be used to help compute a grad school GPA.

If you take a single class at TESU, you get a TESU "GPA" but let's be honest, this isn't grad school's first day. They can see it's one class.

Finally, don't let people dissuade you from your goals just because they think that cheaper should trump all decisions. Fact remains, you've saved 2 years = awesome. If you want to take classes, take classes. I took an entire year of classes at TESU after using testing to knock out my lower level classes. I chose to take classes in my major (social sciences) to add a bit of "meat" to my transcript. I also have grades from a community college that I attended at the same time, but none of my grad schools asked for or saw those grades.

Do you *need* to have a GPA for your path? Do you *need* a competitive GPA for grad school? That's 100% your decision. In my opinion, you should think about it (it is expensive) and consider if it's something you want to spend the money on. If you're headed to grad school, THAT will be expensive, so it makes sense to keep costs low. Having student loan debt for your accounting degree plus more debt for your theology degree can be a heavy burden.

Still, yes, you can use financial aid. TESU is a regular college, so you simply fill out the financial aid form FAFSA online and indicate TESU as your college. If you qualify for a Pell Grant, that's around $5600ish per year assuming you're full time. Student loans will be handed to you on a silver platter.