Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha-Any Advice Appreciated
Aloha!  For whatever reason I am so nervous asking questions.....here it goes!

I am looking for advice regarding the fastest way to complete a bachelors degree.  I hate that I'm asking this question because it makes it seem so "fly by night", but I have a bigger picture plan and I'm hoping that I can advice from some of you that are very experienced in the area of online learning and degree programs. 

Me:  I have an Associates of Applied Science in Nursing, which is 72 hours and then I have two years from a state university I attended before getting into the nursing program at a different school of around 32 hours of general education (which included all of my pre-reqs for nursing ..i.e. Anatomy & Phys I&II, Chem, etc).  I have been the CEO of a medical non-profit for around eight years and make six figures, but I have the opportunity to increase that salary by about 25k if I can just complete a bachelors.  I don't want to do it in nursing, but am thinking that I either do Lib Arts or Psychology (I love psychology and my non-profit does a lot of counseling).  I applied to WGU because I thought the fastest route would be to do their BSBA/Health Care program, but after looking at it more closely (I sent transcripts, but haven't heard what will transfer yet) it looks like there are a lot of core business courses that I definitely would need to take or test out of prior to starting. 

My end goal is to do a Masters in Business or a health related field (Health Care Administration or Admin).  I love what I do and plan on staying in the healthcare arena (but not nursing...burned out long ago after working 15 years in the ER/ICU).  I don't mind doing the business classes at a later date, but right now- what is important- is that almighty Bachelors..uugghh how I wish I would have done it sooner...but then again I don't because it probably would have been at a traditional B&M and I prefer online learning.

Anyway...I know it's a random ask, but I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone is willing to offer.  I just found out about TESU and it definitely has peaked my interest, as well (the cost difference isn't enough for me to worry about, but time is).  Time is the most important factor here.  I can do class anytime (even in downtime at work) and I am a fast learner and excellent test taker.  I am 47years old, my youngest is in college (traditional on the mainland....every kid that grows up in Hawaii needs to go away and see what life is like off of the rock) and my husband works in health care, as well.

Mahalo!!
My advice - post all of the courses you took for both schools:

School #1
course #, course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C

School #2
same

It's the easiest way for us to help you.

My guess is, your fastest/cheapest route will be a BSLA at COSC. You'll probably just need 30cr of UL, and you can choose nursing and XYZ (psych, comm, CJ, leadership, etc.) to make your concentration. The choice should be something that is easy to find cheap/fast UL credits in that will pair well with nursing as a concentration.

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php

The other option is an RN-to-BSN program, possibly at WGU or another competency-based program like Capella Flexpath, U of Wisconsin Flex, Northern Arizona University Personalized Learning, or Walden Tempo Learning.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-20-2020, 04:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My advice - post all of the courses you took for both schools:

School #1
course #, course name, # of credits, grade if less than a C

School #2
same

It's the easiest way for us to help you.

My guess is, your fastest/cheapest route will be a BSLA at COSC.  You'll probably just need 30cr of UL, and you can choose nursing and XYZ (psych, comm, CJ, leadership, etc.) to make your concentration.  The choice should be something that is easy to find cheap/fast UL credits in that will pair well with nursing as a concentration.

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php

The other option is an RN-to-BSN program, possibly at WGU or another competency-based program like Capella Flexpath, U of Wisconsin Flex, Northern Arizona University Personalized Learning, or Walden Tempo Learning.

Thank you so much!!  My courses are as follows:  (Holy Cow!  I totally forgot about taking Bowling and Jogging for electives...lol...good old days!)

BS113 A&P I (w/lab) 3.0
BS114 A&P II (w/lab) 3.0
CH180 Chemistry In Our World (w/lab) 5.0
GS101 Creative&Crit Thinking 3.0
EN100 English Comp I 3.0
EN140 Rhet.&Crit Thinking 3.0
GH105 American Civ. 3.0
BA100 Fund Comp App 1.0
PA108 Rec Jogging 1.0
PA106 Bowling 1.0
BS340 Microbiology 3.0
PY101 Psychology 3.0
SO102 Sociology 3.0
MAT 101 Mathematics for Healthcare Professionals  3.0
NS105 Bridging to Professional Nursing Practice 3.0
NS 106 Mental Health Nursing 4.0
NS109 Pharmacology 3.0

NS108 Dosage&Calc Pharma. 1.0
NS 107 Medical Surgical Nursing I 4.0
NS 201 Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family II 3.0
FN235 Nutrition in Mankind 3.0
NS 202 Medical Surgical Nursing II 5.0
NS 203 Nursing Care of the Child and Family 3.0
NS 204 Medical Surgical Nursing III 4.0
NS 206 Transition to Professional Nursing Practice  4.0
Advanced Placement Nursing Credits 8.0
So this doesn't match what you said originally. I show 48cr from the 1st school, and 35cr from the 2nd school (not 72 and 32). Are you missing a school? Some courses? Or were you just mistaken in your first post?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
From the looks of things, that's just your first college/univ you attended. Could you paste the second piece of the puzzle? I would recommend just completing a BALS with a Psychology Concentration or a Social Science concentration, as you can use Psychology courses for both.

My recommendation is to apply to the Big 3/WGU and see who gives you the most credits for your previous studies and go with them, if you decide on WGU because of it's competency based degrees, since you've got years of experience, you should go with them for the MBA or Masters degree as the Big 3 would be expensive.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-21-2020, 01:28 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So this doesn't match what you said originally.  I show 48cr from the 1st school, and 35cr from the 2nd school (not 72 and 32).  Are you missing a school? Some courses?  Or were you just mistaken in your first post?

Yeah, I'm a little confused too (and clearly mistaken).... these are pulled straight from my copy of each transcript, but I think my mistake was that there were several courses that counted towards my Associates in Nursing that transferred over from my first school.  In my head, I was counting them twice because they were listed on both transcripts, but when I started to actually list them- I realized that they were duplicates.  Sorry about that.  My total degree credit was 72 hours for my Nursing, which included the A&P's, Chem, English, Nutritrion, etc from my first school.

Anyway, I'm just not sure what to do at this point.  I think I could test out of several classes, but I'm still a little weak at going in and actually making a degree plan.  I guess I will just submit and see what is left (as suggested) from all three schools.

Thanks so much!

(01-21-2020, 12:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: From the looks of things, that's just your first college/univ you attended.  Could you paste the second piece of the puzzle?  I would recommend just completing a BALS with a Psychology Concentration or a Social Science concentration, as you can use Psychology courses for both.  

My recommendation is to apply to the Big 3/WGU and see who gives you the most credits for your previous studies and go with them, if you decide on WGU because of it's competency based degrees, since you've got years of experience, you should go with them for the MBA or Masters degree as the Big 3 would be expensive.

I really appreciate your input and recommendation.  I am going to submit to all three and see where I am (per your suggestion).  See above, as I did figure out where I went wrong on my calculations. :-)

Mahalo!
(01-21-2020, 03:38 PM)Hawaii5oh Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 01:28 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So this doesn't match what you said originally.  I show 48cr from the 1st school, and 35cr from the 2nd school (not 72 and 32).  Are you missing a school? Some courses?  Or were you just mistaken in your first post?

Yeah, I'm a little confused too (and clearly mistaken).... these are pulled straight from my copy of each transcript, but I think my mistake was that there were several courses that counted towards my Associates in Nursing that transferred over from my first school.  In my head, I was counting them twice because they were listed on both transcripts, but when I started to actually list them- I realized that they were duplicates.  Sorry about that.  My total degree credit was 72 hours for my Nursing, which included the A&P's, Chem, English, Nutritrion, etc from my first school.

Anyway, I'm just not sure what to do at this point.  I think I could test out of several classes, but I'm still a little weak at going in and actually making a degree plan.  I guess I will just submit and see what is left (as suggested) from all three schools.

Thanks so much!

(01-21-2020, 12:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: From the looks of things, that's just your first college/univ you attended.  Could you paste the second piece of the puzzle?  I would recommend just completing a BALS with a Psychology Concentration or a Social Science concentration, as you can use Psychology courses for both.  

I really appreciate your input and recommendation.  I am going to submit to all three and see where I am (per your suggestion).  See above, as I did figure out where I went wrong on my calculations. :-)

Mahalo!
I would recommend you to consider the BSN degree at WGU even though you are burned out on nursing. I suggest this because if you are choosing a career in healthcare administration having the BSN with the MBA or MHA is a very common combination. 

You don't have to do nursing but you could certainly take the nursing credentials with the masters degree and easily advance your career in many different health related career settings. 

Also you may be able to complete the WGU program quickly and start your  grad degree sooner. WGU also offers the MBA as a general degree or with a concentration in Healthcare  Administration.
Ok, trying to create a degree plan, and need more info:
1) EN140 Rhet.&Crit Thinking - need full name, and what it's considered at your school (is it the 2nd in a series of 2 that are English Comp I & II?)
2) GH105 American Civ.  - what is this?

In looking at the tentative Liberal Studies degree plans I made for TESU & COSC, here's the breakdown (I'm assuming apples-to-apples, with all courses costing $100 each, although you can find some for more or less):

COSC BSLS
Need cornerstone & capstone
Need 27cr of UL, 18cr of which will be in concentration (which should be Psych)
Need an Oral Comm course
Need an Ethics course (prob should choose UL)
Need 4 additional courses, at least 1 of which should be World religions to finish off the GE, and of which 3 should be UL
Total credits needed: 39 (13 courses)
Total cost to finish: $3,899

TESU BALS
Need cornerstone & capstone
Need 15cr of UL, 15cr of which will be in concentration (which should be Psych)
Need an Oral Comm course
Need an Ethics course
Total credits needed: 54 (18 courses)
Total cost to finish: $7,022

I would go with COSC, both because of cost, and number of courses left.  They will use more of your nursing credits because the BSLS allows for 60cr of "free electives" where TESU's BALS only allows for 27cr of free electives.  COSC is just the better option for a nurse.

Of course, I'd still consider a BSN, both for the compentency-based degree option, the cost, and the value of it in the future (as Sacricolist said).  I think that degree is by far the most valuable one you can get.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Hawaii5oh COSC BSLS.xlsx (Size: 58.78 KB / Downloads: 2)
.xlsx   Hawaii5oh TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 33.79 KB / Downloads: 2)
If going the TESU route why not the 'BA in Psychology' (imo, it makes more sense than the BALS through TESU and the OP stated they love the subject) - wiki link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...Psychology
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(01-21-2020, 07:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Ok, trying to create a degree plan, and need more info:
1) EN140 Rhet.&Crit Thinking - need full name, and what it's considered at your school (is it the 2nd in a series of 2 that are English Comp I & II?)
2) GH105 American Civ.  - what is this?

OMG, you are amazing! 

So, EN140 Rhetorical & Critical Thinking was equiv. to English Comp II and American Civilization was my history requirement for GS. 

I sent the app to COSC yesterday and will look through the TESU info, as well.  I am so glad I found this forum.  Again, amazing!  Mahalo!

(01-22-2020, 08:20 AM)allvia Wrote: If going the TESU route why not the 'BA in Psychology' (imo, it makes more sense than the BALS through TESU and the OP stated they love the subject) - wiki link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...Psychology

You are indeed correct, I do love Psychology!!  I'm looking at your suggestion, as well.  Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!!  Aloha!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,571 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,163 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,023 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,971 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 682 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 948 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,613 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,033 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007