Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives to Proctor U for Straighterline?
Another option is if your local library has study rooms. Mine has individual "cubby-hole" study rooms, each with a door. Nice for when you need a quiet, no-interruption place to study (or test) away from home.
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
MLTtoMLS Wrote:I don't think Proctor U would work well in my situation. My concerns:
1) I don't like the idea of some stranger having potential access to my personal files on my laptop. So, I would need to purchase a second laptop to use just for Proctor U exams.
2) A clear, quiet, well-lit room is required for the exam. The room has to be scanned with the webcam prior to the exam. None of the rooms at my place are completely clear of furniture and sometimes clutter. No, I am not a hoarder, the place is just small Wink This would require some serious rearrangement...Not sure it's worth the effort.
3) Being interrupted can invalidate the exam. That is a possibility.
I live close to a testing center. It seems way more practical to just drive there, show my ID, and take the test. No distractions or fear that the test might be invalidated because of circumstances that are beyond my control (disconnection, interruptions).

That means you can't have people in the same room, and papers all around you, nothing more. The "room scan" is just using a mirror or lifting your computer around. We do ours at the kitchen table because its the only place without books lol.
Just to echo the others:

I too have privacy issues. Whether valid or not is up for contention.

I use an older laptop for proctored testing. All you really need is Windows Vista or better. I've taken a few SL tests, and they haven't complained.

I thought they needed a sterile room; I was wrong.

They seem to be looking for just cheating stuff, and not clutter, really, if that makes any sense. So, second monitor, visible notes, someone hiding under the table feeding you answers kinda stuff. Not whether your place is habitable. (I'm being trite, but, hell, at the beginning, I didn't know, either!)

Only thing I haven't figured out is how you can use an e book for an open final test. Only one I've had, they told me I couldn't use any books, then changed their mind at the last second (I passed in spite).

One other thing I've done, is rent a cheap hotel room. Assured no interruptions. Bring junk food and soda, leave tv off, I managed to knock out a great deal of things, then left. $40, it was cheaper than the next alternative.

Of course, sample size=1 and all that, but I really really researched this topic across the web before I plunked down ca$h. Only thing I will suggest here is to spring for the test now feature. ABSOLUTELY worth every penny. No scheduling - it's like ordering a pay per view movie. Hit the button, get up and stretch, eat, etc. sit down and bam - off to the races.

Best wishes on your pursuits!

Oh - also, you didn't ask, but I liked SL ok. I'd like to try some of the other offerings, but haven't really tried yet.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High_Order1 Wrote:One other thing I've done, is rent a cheap hotel room. Assured no interruptions.

Haha, here's a funny story that kind of ties into booking a hotel room to get school stuff done. Since I spoke about the move I just made lower in this thread...we stayed one night in a hotel since the move was so far and we didn't feel like setting up beds and things late at night. I decided to try and knock out my Public Speaking speech while at the hotel the next morning because there was decent wifi and I wasn't sure exactly what day the internet company would be at the new house to hook up our internet. My wife was a gem and took the kids down to the pool so I could do the speech without interuption. I was about 7 minutes into recording my speech when the maid starts knocking on the door. I went into a panic that the noise would be audible on the video and froze. After a couple seconds the knocking stopped and I decided to try to finish the speech, even with the awkwardness. Five seconds later and BAM...the door opens and the maid comes in and is all embarrassed and starts speaking super fast and loud and I'm just sitting there with the video rolling trying to calm her down. I'm in Latin America so she was a Latin lady speaking spanish and I think we have all heard a Latina go off when they are embarrassed or upset lol. So needless to say I ended up restarting my speech. Your mention of the quiet hotel room just reminded me of the story and how funny I thought it was.
cookderosa Wrote:That means you can't have people in the same room, and papers all around you, nothing more. The "room scan" is just using a mirror or lifting your computer around. We do ours at the kitchen table because its the only place without books lol.

Same here! I have found the kitchen table to be easiest place to take exams, its usually the cleanest and has less distractions.
Karlsen Wrote:Same here! I have found the kitchen table to be easiest place to take exams, its usually the cleanest and has less distractions.

Another one here. I used my kitchen table before I moved since my actual desk had too much stuff on it. When I moved and my "kitchen" table became my home office desk, I started using the coffee table for proctorU.

All they care about is that:
1. There is nothing within arms reach that you can use to cheat.
2. There are no other people in the room with you.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 420 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 105 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,781 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 264 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 274 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 669 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 417 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 583 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,124 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,057 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138