Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America is Great Because
My reasons why America is a great country to live in:
1.  Most of the world lives on less than $5 a day.  Our standard of living is 5-20x than most of the world.
2.  American is the least racist country taking in more immigrants than in any country.
3.  College is almost free now with Pell Grants.  As we learned on Degreeforum, there are lots of ways to get a bachelor's degree in less than 1 year.

Does anyone want to add more reasons???

Happy Independence Day All!

[Image: 2012-09-09_12-58-51_1031.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ChilliDawg
1. America's standard of living is good, but at what cost to us, the world, and the earth?
2. Taking in immigrants doesn't make a country less racist, and, compared to other countries with immigrants, our number of foreign-born residents is low. Fourteen percent of people living in the US were born abroad, 25% in Canada, 28% in Australia, and 88% in the United Arab Emirates. (Numbers from Pew Research's web site.)
3. Norway, Denmark, Germany, etc. offer free college.

America with all its faults and virtues is the country of my birth, and, while I've visited other countries, it will always be my home. I try to see if for what it is and to celebrate its virtues and work on its faults. Independence Day, for me, is a reminder that I can (and should!) do both those things.
[-] The following 6 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • harrypotter, jsd, louise, mysonx3, rachel83az, ss20ts
What? Allowing immigrants into a nation doesn't mean the country isn't racist.

Most people aren't eligible for Pell grants. Most people have to take out student loans to go to college. College is far from free. Many programs are not able to be completed in under a year. It all depends on what program one is working on, the amount of time they have to work on the course load, how much money they have to spend, etc. It's not a one size fits all.
[-] The following 5 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • GizmoJack, harrypotter, jsd, Muldoon, rachel83az
I don't understand if this post is supposed to be serious or sarcastic.
[-] The following 5 users Like natshar's post:
  • GizmoJack, harrypotter, jsd, rachel83az, ss20ts
1. Just for food alone, the Americans use something like 5x as much land as America has. Not farmland land, total land. (Thanks, Sophia!) This means that the US essentially has to steal from other countries to make their ends meet. This is wholly unsustainable.

2. I, uh... *looks at riots* ... No.

3. Other countries have degrees that are even cheaper when you're a citizen of said country. And you don't have to qualify for a Pell grant or anything of the sort. The only reason why I'm getting an American degree is because it's easiest for me, as an American citizen, to do so. It'd be cheaper for me to get a local degree if I could do so.
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ab10365, GizmoJack, jsd, Muldoon
(07-03-2020, 12:20 PM)rachel83az Wrote: 1. Just for food alone, the Americans use something like 5x as much land as America has. Not farmland land, total land. (Thanks, Sophia!) This means that the US essentially has to steal from other countries to make their ends meet. This is wholly unsustainable.

Someone took Environmental Science at Sophia. LOL I remember this from the course. I took it last month.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
1. Is money the best metric to measure standard of living? Why is cost of living so high anyway? Many families struggle to come up with savings and price of housing in metro areas have been skyrocketing. The upper-class is getting richer, but the same can't be said for middle- and lower-class Americans.

2. Everyone has already mentioned that more immigrants != less racist. And what happens once these immigrants do settle down in America and have to start their lives from scratch? They have to start from the bottom and struggle to move up because of the systemic oppression that is still widely prevalent. Plus not all minorities in America aren't immigrants, racial income inequality is still a reality, etc. This list can go on and on.

3. This forum is a very small subset of what the majority experiences. This point is mostly anecdotal, but people I graduated high school who took the traditional route and spent/took out loans worth thousands of dollars on university tuition costs and now they don't have a job lined up. In today's job market, a Bachelor's is the bare minimum qualification for most roles. Taking the cheaper and faster route is unheard of by most people I know, and these people had to pay the same costs for poorly planned out online courses this past semester. This is not something that should be seen as an accomplishment.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Here is another one.

#4  America is one of the easiest countries to become rich if you do these simple 3 things:
- Get a college degree
- Stay off of drugs
- Save 50%+ of your money
De Nada!

By rich I mean the income from your savings is >= your living expenses.  That is freedom.

A bonus one by the president of Russia, Vladimir Putin.

#5 "I like the creativity," "Creativity when it comes to your tackling problems," 

"Their openness — openness and open-mindedness — because it allows them to unleash the inner potential of their people. And thanks to that, America has attained such amazing results in developing their country," said Vladimir Putin.
There is free college and healthcare when one one joins the military—there is no such thing as a free lunch, but a little service in exchange for that isn’t a bad trade off. Also the poor are actually becoming less poor.

Looking forward to the day when social security finally goes bust so we can go back to self-reliance.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
“America is the least racist country in the world “. I’m sorry but I can’t imagine being that ignorant. Yikes, lol.
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 5 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • ab10365, davewill, jsd, Library2HospitalChaplain, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,386 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Two Words: MADE IN AMERICA LevelUP 20 1,438 10-14-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  US Expat Response to the State of America Kal Di 1 560 06-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Airfares plummeting for 2022 (Hawaii, Latin America) bjcheung77 5 831 12-27-2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,127 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  The Great Debate - Free College For All SweetSecret 55 7,385 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated frank.f.franky 7 2,562 07-29-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: badooble
  Forbes's America's Top 100 Colleges List OfficerA 5 1,471 07-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Drakemoore
  Great Review: Rosetta Stone vs. Pimsleur sanantone 2 916 01-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Last Post: scorched