Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
An Update: Pierpont AAS BoG to WGU BSIT, looking for feedback/advice!
Hi, exactly one month ago I made this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Total-noob

After considering all of the wonderful and detailed advice that I received, I applied to Pierpont and began taking as many Sophia classes as a I could, as fast as I could. Here is an updated list of the credits I now have:

(Mesa Community College in 2016/2017) - 24
COMS135 - Interpersonal Communication 3
ANTH103 - Intro to Cultural Anthropology 3
CISC150 - Intro to Computer/Info Science 3
HIST109 - History of the United States I 3
POLI102 - The American Political System 3
ENGL101 - Reading and Composition 3
PERG120 - College Success 3
PHIL102A - Intro to Philosophy: Reality/Knowledge 3

(Sophia all in the last 30 days) - 42
CS1001 - Intro to Information Technology 3
CS1005 - Intro to Web Development 3
PHIL1002 - Intro to Ethics 3
VisComm1001 - Visual Communications 3
ENVS1001 - Environmental Science 3
CA1001 - College Algebra 3
ARTHIST1001 - Art History I 3
ARTHIST1002 - Art History II 3
PHIL1005 - Critical Thinking 3
STAT1001 - Intro to Statistics 3
PM1001 - Project Management 3
PSYC1010 - Intro to Psychology 3
BUS1013 - Principles of Management 3
ConRes1000 - Essentials of Managing Conflict 1
CS1003 - IT Career Exploration 1
BUS1200 - Developing Effective Teams 1

(Certs)
CompTIA A+
Google IT Support Professional from Coursera

Here is my spreadsheet so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

Come August 4th, I will graduate from Pierpont, earning the A.A.S. BoG with an emphasis in Information Systems. After this, I am thinking the best path for me is to apply to WGU and transfer as many credits possible to reach the 75% mark for the BS in IT. If anyone else here has done this path (Pierpont to WGU), can you tell me how the AAS transfers over? I see that there are two Composition classes required at WGU, but I only have credits that will satisfy one of them, does this mean I have to take English II on Sophia, or will the AAS let me skip all of it? I haven't been very successful in finding info specific to Pierpont transfers into WGU and was hoping someone could clarify what exactly will transfer over. I was also wondering if I can pick and choose what transfers, if I have more than 90 credits worth of courses completed, can I choose which ones to send over to make sure I don't pass the 75% limit on accident? I am also curious if anyone knows the easiest/hardest classes at WGU, so I know which to take there and which to do with Sophia/other programs.

I would preferably want to save the CompTIA cert classes (net+, sec+, etc) to take at WGU, and just study hard before applying so I can easily speedrun those classes and go straight to the actual cert exam. My goal is to complete the WGU BSIT in one term by maxing out my credits beforehand, and then learning the material for the last handful of classes the best I can before actually enrolling.

Any other information you guys can provide I would really appreciate it. For those of you that have gone the same/similar path as I am planning, I would love to hear your experience and any additional insights that might be useful!

Thanks everyone
Hey! You've got homework, basically, create a spreadsheet of the degree plan from WGU's website, place all the transfers you can find from their partners page here and map the 90 credits max you can transfer in. Once done, create a link to your google or one drive and make the file viewable not editable, senior members or moderators can then view the file and comment on course options that may be cheaper, easier, faster. You want to transfer the max from Sophia.org first, then select other providers such as Straighterline, Study.com, etc, to get the max 90 credit transfer. Link: https://partners.wgu.edu/home
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Alec311, lynnii2
(07-26-2023, 01:46 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey! You've got homework, basically, create a spreadsheet of the degree plan from WGU's website, place all the transfers you can find from their partners page here and map the 90 credits max you can transfer in.  Once done, create a link to your google or one drive and make the file viewable not editable, senior members or moderators can then view the file and comment on course options that may be cheaper, easier, faster.  You want to transfer the max from Sophia.org first, then select other providers such as Straighterline, Study.com, etc, to get the max 90 credit transfer. Link: https://partners.wgu.edu/home

I actually did try my best to map out a google spreadsheet already: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

I added all of the BSIT required courses, and the classes that I believe are equivalent for them, but I wasn't sure if the AAS from Pierpont would immediately satisfy all of the gen ed courses or if it worked differently? If it doesn't, there's a handful of classes I still need to do whether on Sophia, WGU, or somewhere else.

I'll put the link in the original post too. Green = done, blue = probably do at WGU, but I'm not entirely sure yet. I'm really just looking for the easiest possible classes, whether they are easier at WGU or elsewhere, with the least possible touchstones/essays/writing assignments.
IIRC, having an Associate degree (usually) waives all gen ed classes. The rest can be filled in by referencing the WGU Partner section bjcheung77 linked.

As for which WGU classes are the most difficult, there is an (un)official Discord where I think these things are discussed. If the link hasn't changed, it should be: https://discord.gg/unwgu Also, the WGU Reddit has been recommended previously.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Alec311
At WGU, your GE will be waived, and then they'll match up all of the courses that you took to required courses, and do an eval to see what's left to take.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-26-2023, 02:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote: IIRC, having an Associate degree (usually) waives all gen ed classes. The rest can be filled in by referencing the WGU Partner section bjcheung77 linked.

As for which WGU classes are the most difficult, there is an (un)official Discord where I think these things are discussed. If the link hasn't changed, it should be: https://discord.gg/unwgu Also, the WGU Reddit has been recommended previously.

(07-26-2023, 10:22 AM)dfrecore Wrote: At WGU, your GE will be waived, and then they'll match up all of the courses that you took to required courses, and do an eval to see what's left to take.

This is what I needed some clarification on, hopefully from someone that has done this exact process before (Pierpont AAS to WGU). Are you guys saying that my Pierpont AAS BoG degree will fulfill ALL of the WGU gen ed classes? Even though WGU has different gen ed requirements than Pierpont did for the AAS? There are quite a few gen ed classes I can see on the BSIT program that I definitely have not done any equivalent of, but they just won't care and simply having a Pierpont AAS will satisfy those classes regardless?

I suppose I'll get my answer to this after August 4th when I can send the AAS to WGU and talk to their enrollment team, but in the meantime I was hoping someone had concrete info so I know whether to keep doing gen ed Sophia classes or just skip to the next section of the BSIT.
https://partners.wgu.edu/general-transfer-guidelines

click on
BS Information Technology
https://www.wgu.edu/blog/how-to-transfer...U1907.html

Quote:For the most part, an associate’s degree will waive all of your “general education” requirements and allow you to start much further down the path for your bachelor’s.

I think this is based on WGU degree, not type of degree earned elsewhere. Pretty sure I remember that there are a couple of degrees where transfers are course-by-course (nursing programs, perhaps?) and not block transfer like this.

While frustrating, it is possible to defer enrollment and complete the gen ed courses elsewhere if absolutely necessary. So I'd keep going with the SDC courses/certificates you plan to transfer. It shouldn't be necessary to go back and do the gen eds, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-27-2023, 03:53 AM)bluebooger Wrote: https://partners.wgu.edu/general-transfer-guidelines

click on              
BS Information Technology

All I'm seeing there is "Where transfer credit does not apply, courses may be satisfied by degree", and then right below that "Courses can be satisfied by...", which doesn't really give the confirmation that I'm hoping for, but thank you for finding that for me.

(07-27-2023, 04:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: https://www.wgu.edu/blog/how-to-transfer...U1907.html

Quote:For the most part, an associate’s degree will waive all of your “general education” requirements and allow you to start much further down the path for your bachelor’s.

I think this is based on WGU degree, not type of degree earned elsewhere. Pretty sure I remember that there are a couple of degrees where transfers are course-by-course (nursing programs, perhaps?) and not block transfer like this.

While frustrating, it is possible to defer enrollment and complete the gen ed courses elsewhere if absolutely necessary. So I'd keep going with the SDC courses/certificates you plan to transfer. It shouldn't be necessary to go back and do the gen eds, though.

I see. So it looks like I will just have to wait a little while until I can apply and find out. Thank you
Here's the relevant info:

TRANSFER EVALUATION GUIDELINES FOR BS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Courses can be satisfied by an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor of Science from a Regionally or Nationally accredited institution

GENERAL EDUCATION
COURSES SATISFIED BY TRANSFER OR DEGREE
The group below may be satisfied by an Associate or Bachelor's degree unless otherwise stated in the transfer requirement."

Then, if you look at each of the courses required for the Gen Ed area, none specifies anything.  So they will all be satisfied with an AAS.

Now, if you go down a bit further, 

COURSES IN THE MAJOR

COURSES SATISFIED BY TRANSFER OR DEGREE
The group below may be satisfied by an Associate or Bachelor's degree, unless otherwise stated in the transfer requirement.

D322 Introduction to IT: One course, equivalent to 4 units, in Introduction to IT or Google IT Support Professional certificate or the CompTIA ITF+. Course can be satisfied by an associate or bachelor’s degree in information technology completed within 5 years of the student’s start date or WGUx (Edx) IT Career Framework Microbachelor’s.

All 6 of the courses in this section have this same requirement for the degree.  So this is where you will know that your AAS will NOT satisfy the requirement, because it specifically states what your degree needs to be, and yours isn't that degree (it's an AAS with an Area of Emphasis in Info Systems, which is not the same as an IT degree).

So yes, your AAS WILL meet the GE requirements, but it will NOT meet the major requirements.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • lynnii2

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting BA after Pierpont BOG AAS. Faceparade 4 105 Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Newbiw Advice - Direction - Reality Check OchoNombres 1 79 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 101 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 100 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,611 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 134 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 228 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 646 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 287 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,235 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK