Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And so we end up with a BA Anthropology at TESU, right??
So I've been assessing everyone's feedback from before and some research I was able to compile the last few days and think I found something that can work for me...

I like humanity studies (like all the other 20somethings it seems) but it seems obvious sociology is a crappy move.
History is OK but TBH, I am reaaaaly not good at remembering numbers... which is why I suspect a BSBA is really not a good idea with all that accounting I avoided my whole life trying to join the party and set me up for failure (or isnt it that bad?)...

But it seems like a BA Anthropology might work best to help me get my BA in order to apply for a Masters (in Education) somewhere soon then??

It seems really easy and interesting, but the question is, will it work???
Are there some snags to that course or maybe some advice or guidance from someone who knows about it?

Thank you all for the help so far!!
(04-09-2019, 03:57 AM)K93 Wrote: So I've been assessing everyone's feedback from before and some research I was able to compile the last few days and think I found something that can work for me...

I like humanity studies (like all the other 20somethings it seems) but it seems obvious sociology is a crappy move.
History is OK but TBH, I am reaaaaly not good at remembering numbers... which is why I suspect a BSBA is really not a good idea with all that accounting I avoided my whole life trying to join the party and set me up for failure (or isnt it that bad?)...

But it seems like a BA Anthropology might work best to help me get my BA in order to apply for a Masters (in Education) somewhere soon then??

It seems really easy and interesting, but the question is, will it work???
Are there some snags to that course or maybe some advice or guidance from someone who knows about it?

Thank you all for the help so far!!
I saw a few courses for the anthropology degree at TESU that I don't think I've seen exams for, but I will defer to others on that. If you're trying to get to your master's in education as quickly as possible, any liberal studies degree should be fine. A sociology vs anthropology degree isn't going to be that different for jobs, but finding courses for the anthropology degree might be harder.

I would say COSC would be better in your case because it's cheaper. Just pick a concentration that's easy to find courses for.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
I would actually think that Sociology would be a better fit than Anthropology. Much of the coursework in Sociology would mesh pretty will with education. I would also think that Psychology would harmonize fairly well. However, I agree with the others. Since you plan to go straight to your master's, you might as well do Liberal Studies which will likely make your BA cheaper and faster.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • allvia, cookderosa
A BALS is just fine for a masters in education. They don't care what your undergrad is in. I'd pick cheap/easy/fast and get that degree (which is going to be a BALS/BSLS at COSC I imagine).

You can also look at a teaching degree at WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I believe the OP is in South Africa, so WGU wouldn't be an option.

The job market could differ in various countries, but as someone who has worked in social science-related fields, I can tell you that there are far more jobs asking for a bachelor's degree in sociology than there are ones asking for a bachelor's degree in history or anthropology. Sociology is applicable to just about every social service job to include adult and family protective services, caseworker for social services agencies, and parole/probation/community supervision officer. You said you aren't strong in math, but people with sociology degrees and strong skills in statistics often work in market research.

With anthropology, there are two main paths you can take: cultural or physical/biological. People with undergraduate degrees focused on cultural anthropology can work in museums or with historical preservation societies. These jobs are not abundant. There are intelligence jobs that desire this background, but those jobs are few and nearly impossible to get without a graduate degree and foreign affairs or military experience.

A focus in physical/biological anthropology is mostly about bones. I had to take an anthropology course for my master's program, and there's a lot of biological anthropology in the other courses. I'm about sick of bones. Anyway, this preparation is applicable to research assistants, medicolegal investigator, and forensic work. Jobs looking for undergraduate degrees with this focus aren't abundant either. Most jobs in forensics want degrees in biology or chemistry.

Undergraduate degrees in history can lead to the same types of jobs as a background in cultural anthropology. In addition, one can teach history at the primary and secondary levels. The teaching jobs might he abundant depending on where you're at, but there aren't many other jobs looking for bachelor's degrees in history.

But, you said that you just want a degree to teach English in a foreign country and to get into a master's program. In that case, any degree would work. I don't see the reason to choose a degree that can't be completed through cheaper, alternative methods. However, I did advise you in the other thread to think about what you would do if you end up hating teaching in a foreign country.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Curious how you have been a teacher for 6 years without a degree to begin with? It's a work visa requirement in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc. Going to assume it's China before they started to get more strict.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Currently, there are pockets of areas in South East Asia that doesn't require a Bachelors. Mainly South East Asia and it should be a great starting point to get you the experience you need, once you have that Bachelors and the experience, move up to other more developed/sophisticated cities and countries instead of staying in the current areas you teach - namely China & Vietnam.

I highly recommend going for the BALS and going at it quickly, the first 90 credits at least. The main reason I say this is, all the BA's, have roughly 90 credits in total that are exactly similar, the only difference is the AOS (Area of Study), you can decide on your Area of Study when you're nearing that 90 credit mark.

Take the time to read my Beginners Guide as it has sample templates, Wiki as it has a whole lot of "basic info" and of course, read the forum, the links are in my signature. BTW K93, which cities have you been teaching within China and in Vietnam? Are you currently there now?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 696 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 260 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch