Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any Linux users?
Hey, just curious if there were any other linux users in the house. I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS for about a year, and I've been enjoying tinkering and playing with it. I'm getting a bit tired of how bloated it is, but because of special hardware(macbook 4,1) I haven't been able to try another distro(DSL won't even start completely, gentoo needs a lot more time than I have right now to configure it), but I'm curious about your preferences. =)
Never Alone,
Isaiah Roberts
@dreadpirate15
http://www.shortntough.com
http://www.isaiahjroberts.com
-------------------
25 FEMA Credits
CLEPs- English Comp. with Essay,Analyzing and Interpreting Lit,Microeconomics,Social Sciences and History,American History 1,Computer Concepts and Applications
UEXCEL-PolySci, Psychology
Total= 67 Credits
Working toward a BA in English
Currently running Karmic on a system 76 starling netbook. I disagree on the bloated comment; windoze 7, now THAT is bloated.
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]
dreadpirate15 Wrote:Hey, just curious if there were any other linux users in the house. I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS for about a year, and I've been enjoying tinkering and playing with it. I'm getting a bit tired of how bloated it is, but because of special hardware(macbook 4,1) I haven't been able to try another distro(DSL won't even start completely, gentoo needs a lot more time than I have right now to configure it), but I'm curious about your preferences. =)
I've considered using Linux more than once, but never made the conversion. A tech student and friend of mine received eight Windows 7 keys, one of which made its way onto my laptop. I like Windows 7 quite a lot. It has most all the good aspects of Vista without most of the downsides; Aerosnap is my constant companion.

I obtained an inexpensive copy of The Official Ubuntu book recently, though. So you never know -- maybe I'll start using it if my XP desktop ever gets shot.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
I've used several Linux distro's now and always come bak to Ubuntu. You just can't beat Debian based OS's for the desktop imo, with Ubuntu being the most refined and functional. It just works. Every time.
94steve Wrote:Currently running Karmic on a system 76 starling netbook. I disagree on the bloated comment; windoze 7, now THAT is bloated.

Well, I'd prefer just having apps I USE, maybe a choice during the install to remove evolution, the games, etc. But overall, I do like Karmic... and yeah, winblows is teh sux.

Ruddigore Wrote:I've considered using Linux more than once, but never made the conversion. ... I like Windows 7 quite a lot. It has most all the good aspects of Vista without most of the downsides; Aerosnap is my constant companion.

I obtained an inexpensive copy of The Official Ubuntu book recently, though. So you never know -- maybe I'll start using it if my XP desktop ever gets shot.

:Confusedhoots the XP desktop:: Tongue And I certainly LOVE aerosnap... you can actually enable that very easily in ubuntu, using compiz. Here's how! How to Enable Aero Snap Window Sizing in Ubuntu

BrandeX Wrote:I've used several Linux distro's now and always come bak to Ubuntu. You just can't beat Debian based OS's for the desktop imo, with Ubuntu being the most refined and functional. It just works. Every time.

I am going to try gentoo as soon as I get the chance, in fact, I did have Sabayon installed for a day, but even though I had the bcm43xx/b43 firmwares installed, it wouldn't recognize my evil broadcom wireless card. ick.

I'm using Crunchbang right now, debating installing kde, gnome, or sticking with Openbox, and tweaking it. Anybody try e17? It's sweet.

btw, I do like debian systems, just wanting to work with everything.
Never Alone,
Isaiah Roberts
@dreadpirate15
-------------------
25 FEMA Credits
CLEPs- English Comp. with Essay,Analyzing and Interpreting Lit,Microeconomics,Social Sciences and History,American History 1,Computer Concepts and Applications
Total= 67 Credits
But I do have an ASUS netbook with a Linux Operating system and I like it, I did not find it hard to learn and I was able to teach it to my 9,11,15 year old nieces and nephew easily.

On my normal laptop and hardly used desktop I love XP professional. My husband the Geek keeps trying to get me to put Windows 7 on my laptop, but I am resisting. He can use either windows or ubutu to boot his desktop.

I guess I am getting old I don't want to change something that works and I don't want to have to learn new tricks.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I was a big fan of OpenSUSE for a long time, especially as I was an even bigger fan of Novell.

Lately though, I really dig Linux Mint when I have time to play with Linux.
I dual boot my macbook with SnowLeopard and various Linux systems... Usually Debian based. Right now, typing in crunchbang with the xfce wm, and using google chrome. =)
Never Alone,
Isaiah Roberts
@dreadpirate15
-------------------
25 FEMA Credits
Total= 67 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMinn and Linux Alpha 0 537 05-02-2021, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Any HP Touchpad Users? marianne202 2 697 01-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Last Post: marianne202