Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any other Nukes in here?
Curious if there are any other Navy Nukes in here? If so, what are you working on at the moment?

I’m currently working on
-BSNET at EC (NIC350, and capstone to go)
-AA in entrepreneurship at local CC (may finish it. Not sure if I feel like taking the accounting class).
-helping GF with her AA at the CC and setting her up for a quick alt credit Bachelorette once she wraps it up
-homeschooling stepdaughter and helping her and my son (both 14) take some of classes to get ahead of the game

(02-20-2022, 07:47 AM)Insert Name Wrote: Curious if there are any other Navy Nukes in here? Current, or Ex? If so, what are you working on at the moment? 

I’m currently working on
-BSNET at EC (NIC350, and capstone to go)
-AA in entrepreneurship at local CC (may finish it. Not sure if I feel like taking the accounting class).
-helping GF with her AA at the CC and setting her up for a quick alt credit Bachelorette once she wraps it up
-homeschooling stepdaughter and helping her and my son (both 14) take some of classes to get ahead of the game
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
Ex-navy nuke here. I was working towards the BS NET at TESU a few years ago but decided to pivot altogether and switched to getting a BS IT from WGU. Now working towards some certs, grad school pre-reqs, and trying to sign up for a coding bootcamp through VETTEC. Goal is to start a master's program some time next year.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-20-2022, 09:47 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Ex-navy nuke here. I was working towards the BS NET at TESU a few years ago but decided to pivot altogether and switched to getting a BS IT from WGU. Now working towards some certs, grad school pre-reqs, and trying to sign up for a coding bootcamp through VETTEC. Goal is to start a master's program some time next year.
Cool! How did you like WGU?
Old Salt w/ New Papers
(02-20-2022, 11:23 PM)Insert Name Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 09:47 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Ex-navy nuke here. I was working towards the BS NET at TESU a few years ago but decided to pivot altogether and switched to getting a BS IT from WGU. Now working towards some certs, grad school pre-reqs, and trying to sign up for a coding bootcamp through VETTEC. Goal is to start a master's program some time next year.
I liked it a lot, actually. I accelerated like hell at times because that's the speed I learned at in the pipeline. If you get bored doing classes at "normal speed" now then competency based education is a fantastic option.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(02-21-2022, 01:02 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:23 PM)Insert Name Wrote:
I liked it a lot, actually. I accelerated like hell at times because that's the speed I learned at in the pipeline. If you get bored doing classes at "normal speed" now then competency based education is a fantastic option.
I am dreading the capstone class at EC. 8 week classes already seem to drag. 16 weeks for one class is going to be horrible. One more 8 weeker to go until that’s the only thing left, and I’m cringing just thinking about it. Any recommendations on a master’s program? Open to just about anything that will take me with an AA in Entrepreneurship and a BSNET. Preferably something either competency based or with accelerated/short classes.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
WGU has an MBA, an MBA for IT management, an MS IT management, an MS cybersecurity & information assurance, and an MS Data analytics. I've heard good things about all of those and I'm personally torn between taking the quick route of the cybersecurity master's and finishing within a term or 2 or going for a competitive masters.

There's also Purdue University Global which has competency based but with a lot of extra "busy work" thrown in to slow you down.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
Thanks! I’ll look into them.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
(02-20-2022, 07:47 AM)Insert Name Wrote: GF

(02-20-2022, 07:47 AM)Insert Name Wrote: stepdaughter

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimag...f=1&nofb=1]
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
I'm not a nuke but I'm the ex-wife of one. My former husband wants to finish his degree, so I pointed him in the direction of this message board.
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS, Board of Governors---Pierpont Community & Technical College, 12/23
Certificate, Community Health Worker---Berkeley City College, 12/23

Upcoming: 
Certificate, Certified Tutor---Berkeley City College
Certificate, Library Technician---Long Beach City College

Considering:
Regents BA---Fairmont State University

(02-21-2022, 12:48 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 07:47 AM)Insert Name Wrote: GF

(02-20-2022, 07:47 AM)Insert Name Wrote: stepdaughter

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimag...f=1&nofb=1]
If you must know, whether or not we have a piece of paper yet that changes from GF to wife plays no effect on my relationship with her daughter who I am raising right along side of my blood children.

(02-21-2022, 03:39 PM)staceyelle Wrote: I'm not a nuke but I'm the ex-wife of one.  My former husband wants to finish his degree, so I pointed him in the direction of this message board.
Cool! I know 2 of the big 3 they talk about on this forum have big big for a lot of nukes/ex-nukes, but a lot of the classes we need to the obvious degrees they provide for us tend to be different than a lot of people here. Though, if I would have found this forum a long time ago, I would have been done a bit faster and cheaper than how it has played out for me.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Insert Name's post:
  •