Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else do this from Canada?
Question 
Hello,

New here, anyone earn a degree from the big 3 who is not in the USA? Would be interested to hear your experience.

Thanks
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
For Canada, you can ladder your McMaster Accounting diploma by taking an extra year at McMaster or a community college and transferring those courses to Athabasca U in Alberta. This will allow you to get a Bachelors of General Studies, Concentration in Applied Studies (90 credits).

For the USA, you can have your credentials evaluated and they will take up to 60 credits towards a 120 credit program. Once the evaluations are done, you can then take the remaining courses online - I can recommend cheap/easy/fast courses. This would be the better option as it's cheaper/easier/faster!

Another option is to go with Competency Based degree providers in the USA. There are several Nationally or Regionally accredited schools in the USA that will accept Canadian credentials. I usually recommend Regionally accredited ones, unless it's in a major that's not available at an RA institution, then I would recommend the Nationally Accredited Institution.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-31-2018, 03:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For Canada, you can ladder your McMaster Accounting diploma by taking an extra year at McMaster or a community college and transferring those courses to Athabasca U in Alberta.  This will allow you to get a Bachelors of General Studies, Concentration in Applied Studies (90 credits).

For the USA, you can have your credentials evaluated and they will take up to 60 credits towards a 120 credit program.  Once the evaluations are done, you can then take the remaining courses online - I can recommend cheap/easy/fast courses.  This would be the better option as it's cheaper/easier/faster!

Another option is to go with Competency Based degree providers in the USA.  There are several Nationally or Regionally accredited schools in the USA that will accept Canadian credentials.  I usually recommend Regionally accredited ones, unless it's in a major that's not available at an RA institution, then I would recommend the Nationally Accredited Institution.

I definitely don't have time to take another year of school full time and then transfer to Athabasca. Athabasca is also incredibly expensive and time consuming. 

For TESU, it doesn't say they only take up to 60 credits, are you sure about that? 

• If you studied at a regionally accredited community college, you may transfer and apply up to 80 credits.
And on the international page it states: 
International students with college-level learning assessed from another country must complete at least 30 additional U.S. college credits and meet all the area of study or concentration degree requirements to obtain a Thomas Edison State University bachelor’s degree
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
You can obtain a Bachelor of General Studies from Athabasca transferring in all 90 credits, I believe. They don't accept ACE, CLEP, etc.

It sounds like TESU allows you to transfer in 90 foreign credits.

I suspect the advice was to get an Athabasca degree followed by a TESU degree with a grand total of 120 credits.
TESU allows up to 90 foreign credits.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

has anyone evaluated a "big 3" degree via WES?
applied to grad school or for a job in Canada?
I couldn't find either using the WES degree equivalency tool.
(I know it's an old thread, but didn't want to create a new one)
(07-31-2018, 03:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For Canada, you can ladder your McMaster Accounting diploma by taking an extra year at McMaster or a community college and transferring those courses to Athabasca U in Alberta.  This will allow you to get a Bachelors of General Studies, Concentration in Applied Studies (90 credits).

You can do that - but you won't get a degree. 

The McMaster Accounting Diploma is 33 credits. I just checked again to make sure. A year of Uni is 30 credits - and a year of Community College (here) is worth --- um, whatever the individual Uni you're applying to, says it is. Maybe 30 maybe less depending on multiple variables. So your Mac diploma is 33  and your F/T year is 30 max. So - still at least 27 credits short of your 3-YEAR Bachelor's - and you'll need a FOUR-year one (or at the very least a BUNCH of extra courses) if you're heading for Grad School.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD PLAN. 

McMaster is a good school - I live in that town and I've completed 2 programs (night school) there. But they don't do loaves-and-fishes miracles like the one you propose here. Only One Man does - and He's not been seen in these parts for quite a while. And as the OP said - Athabasca is extremely expensive.
(03-18-2021, 06:49 PM)arad Wrote: has anyone evaluated a "big 3" degree via WES?
(I know it's an old thread, but didn't want to create a new one
Look here..if there, I would not even worry about WES

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soci...hools.html

Of big 3 TESU is listed, why a community college, no idea.

WGU is there, UMPI as well.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(03-18-2021, 08:22 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 06:49 PM)arad Wrote: has anyone evaluated a "big 3" degree via WES?

All WGU programs aren't open to Canada. UMPI is definitely open to Canada. In fact, they have a special program for Canadian students because they have so many. The application process for UMPI is different for Canadians and they're not treated as regular international students. I don't know if you still have to send your transcripts through WES. 
(03-18-2021, 08:22 PM)cerich67 Wrote:

thank you.
The list is relevant for student loans. it's certainly helpful for future employment.
grad schools rely on WES and/or ICES (for BC).
I guess I'll have to make some phone calls.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Know your Canada/US geography? Think again! bjcheung77 1 180 03-22-2024, 02:47 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 7,344 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 320 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Canada: 2x Unemployed Bachelor's holders than vacancies requiring Bachelor's Degrees JPN 1 590 05-28-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  GUS Canada Expansion - University of Niagara Falls bjcheung77 2 501 11-01-2022, 08:14 PM
  Ontario Canada - Freebie Programs bjcheung77 2 643 06-08-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Johann
  British Students Look To Canada Alpha 4 739 02-23-2022, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Australia, Canada, New Zealand - Updates bjcheung77 0 488 12-05-2021, 01:56 AM
  Aussie & Kiwi "Fall" = Britain, Canada, US "Rise" bjcheung77 0 751 10-18-2021, 03:01 AM
  Free Course on Indigenous Canada U Of Alberta cerich67 1 725 06-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Vle045