Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else do this from Canada?
(07-31-2018, 03:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For Canada, you can ladder your McMaster Accounting diploma by taking an extra year at McMaster or a community college and transferring those courses to Athabasca U in Alberta.  This will allow you to get a Bachelors of General Studies, Concentration in Applied Studies (90 credits).

As I said before, no it won't. If they taught you in Accounting that 33+30 = 90, then demand your money back. Two further aspects that should be pointed out are:

(1) If you get one of these McMaster credentials, there's a caveat - at least there were caveats on the two I earned. (I'm not sure I was aware of ALL the caveats until I got the credits - it was a while back...)

The credits you earned for these credentials (at least back then) were strictly McMaster credits - your mileage might vary if you submitted them elsewhere. And at McMaster, (my letter said) they were only good for related studies - e.g. your business diploma may (note the weasel word) entitle you to so many credits towards a McMaster business degree (providing such credit was approved in your individual admission, by the B-school people). And I think my credits for a writing certificate were solely restricted to - you guessed it - an English degree, i.e. guaranteed iron-clad unemployment claim, at least in that time and place. (It didn't really matter - I was already retired.)

(2) So many Americans (well, OK - at least one in this forum) assume (wrongly) that because their Community Colleges share their RA status along with Universities, ours must follow suit. WRONG! Our Co-Cos, in several provinces, are largely non-degree granting. So universities can (and do) make it up as they go along, as to what credit they will grant for Canadian Community College studies. I had a good GPA in CoCo, earned a two-year diploma via night school and when it came to University applications, I was allowed credit for the CoCo diploma that varied from "time served" (2 years), from both American (RA) and Canadian schools -  to zip-nada-bupkes from others. 

There has been progress to developing a usable framework of transfer pathways in the last 20 years - but it's still somewhat of a crapshoot and nothing like the pretty predictable all-RA situation in the US. I wish it were. 

Never assume.
A couple of the standard pathways from (Ontario) Community Colleges to Uni. degrees are these two:

(1) 3 - year diploma in technology of one kind or another - followed by 10 courses (30 credits) of University studies. One year f/t or may be taken p/t. Usual degree is a 4-year B. Tech. 3-year Diploma awarded by Community College, degree awarded by co-operating University.

(2) B.Sc. in Nursing. Now standard qualification for newly-graduating Ontario nurses. 4 year program, combination of Community College classes, University courses and Clinical hours in local hospitals. There has, of course, been an upgrade path to the B. Sc degree for RNs who graduated as nurses before the degree was mandatory. It has been available for well over 30 years.
LOL, Johann ... you responded to my reply from 2.5 years ago twice. Hmm, I would say, for anyone interested in a 3 year BGS that is RA, email the school directly and find out, just to be safe and it doesn't cost you to get your questions answered. But for a possible fee of roughly $200 USD combined to get a 3 year BGS, it's an amazing deal... that is if you're the chosen one to get it! If you don't ask, you won't know, you won't have the chance at this deal...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-22-2021, 04:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, Johann ... you responded to my reply from 2.5 years ago twice.  Hmm, I would say, for anyone interested in a 3 year BGS that is RA, email the school directly and find out, just to be safe and it doesn't cost you to get your questions answered.  But for a possible fee of roughly $200 USD combined to get a 3 year BGS, it's an amazing deal... that is if you're the chosen one to get it!  If you don't ask, you won't know, you won't have the chance at this deal...

This is NOT an "amazing deal." It's not even good speculative fiction. How many times do I have to remind you that, even in the most liberal of circumstances, 33 + 30 (max) does NOT equal 90? There is no way any school, RA, Canadian or both, could allow 33 units for these 11 courses, add 10 more (from a CC) and holler "Graduation Day!" for a 3 year 90-credit BA. 

Athabasca is not a Groupon school. They are VERY expensive and even if you have all your ducks in a row, credit-wise, (which does not apply, in this scheme) they'll charge you for everything they can think of, before you get your diploma. For $200, they MIGHT tell you whether you "can" or "can't" (as in this case) but you're not going to DO anything (e.g. graduate) without plenty of further costs. Just the same as if you walk into TESC or any other big 3 school with all your credits done - it still costs well into four figures to get that paper. For starters, you have to pay for at least one semester even if you don't need to attend etc etc.  

Besides, The McMaster Accounting diploma (11 courses) you need for this deal-that-doesn't exist costs just over $8,000. ($737.50 x 11 for tuition.) Add to that $4,500 that the CoCo would charge and you're already into $12,500+ and you are at least 27 credits short of 90 for that 3-year degree. I wouldn't need to pay Athabasca $200 to tell me anything -  I'd already know I was screwed.

This thing is all vaporware from the word "go." Hot air. Me done, now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Know your Canada/US geography? Think again! bjcheung77 1 184 03-22-2024, 02:47 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 7,346 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 321 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Canada: 2x Unemployed Bachelor's holders than vacancies requiring Bachelor's Degrees JPN 1 592 05-28-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  GUS Canada Expansion - University of Niagara Falls bjcheung77 2 502 11-01-2022, 08:14 PM
  Ontario Canada - Freebie Programs bjcheung77 2 643 06-08-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Johann
  British Students Look To Canada Alpha 4 741 02-23-2022, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Australia, Canada, New Zealand - Updates bjcheung77 0 489 12-05-2021, 01:56 AM
  Aussie & Kiwi "Fall" = Britain, Canada, US "Rise" bjcheung77 0 751 10-18-2021, 03:01 AM
  Free Course on Indigenous Canada U Of Alberta cerich67 1 725 06-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Vle045