Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone taken Study.com Statistics? Compare it to Aleks?
I was originally planning for my son to use ALEKS to fulfill the required statistics course for TESU (BSBA), but then I read a thread here about all the folks that found the ALEKS Statistics too difficult to pass and ended up abandoning that effort. I tried to find reviews on the Study.com Statistics course, but I'm not seeing any comments on it here. Has anyone gone the Study.com Statistics route and can you give a review? And if so, did you have any prior exposure in Statistics. In my son's case, he's gone through PreCalculus, with no exposure to Statistics.

I'm also concerned about the ACE approval for ALEKS. When I look on ACE, it appears ALEKS keeps getting 1-month extensions on approval for their courses. I'm concerned that is too risky to begin an ALEKS Statistics course that may possibly take multiple months to complete.
I came to this forum researching for my now 17-yr-old son who was earning credits via testing and online courses. He completed TESU's BUS-421 in March 2018, the capstone for the TESU BSBA GM degree.  Below are the courses he took:
Study.com: Business 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 113, 121, 308, 309; Economics 101, 102; Finance 101, 102; History 103, 104, 106, 108; Math 103; Political Science 102; Religion 101; Geology 101; Nutrition 101; Chemistry 101; English 305
SL: Intro to Communications, Accounting 1&2, Financial Accounting
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus, Statistics
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101, 102, 103
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
312N-H Ethics & the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Community College: English 101 & 102, Calculus 1
TESU: MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, BUS-421-OL BSBA Capstone Course (January 2018 term)
I may not be the most helpful because I haven't taken either course all the way through. However I can say that I started the Aleks statistics and I was having a horrible time getting through it. My dad tried to help me with some of it (not the tests) and he's pretty decent at math and even he was having a pretty hard time.
Then I decided to try Study.com's instead and it's been a lot easier so far. I've done a little less than half of it and I've been able to learn each concept all by myself and it's not taking very much longer than any of the other study.com courses and I'm terrible at math. So although I can't vouch for the whole course or the final, it sure seems easier to me from what I have done of each. I have since cancelled my Aleks course.

Of course this might be different if you're super great at math because apparently you can get through Aleks super fast if you know all of the material. With Study.com you kind of have to go through the whole thing regardless but I don't think a lot of people would be that good.
I would also like to hear more people opinion. Given that ALEKs is designed to test your knowledge up to %70 of the entire McGraw Hill textbook anything else has to be easier Smile

I mean their college algebra was far more in depth than what I took the first time around. I can't imagine why ACE wouldn't renew them if they asked; for that matter their other courses should be upper level credits
Been working my way through the Aleks Statistics, it's been almost a week or so, I would definately say all the Aleks courses are very well vase, it covers a lot of the material, if not all and yes, that means it's difficult as hell. Why do I say hard, because it's does very less in helping you understand the context whenever you use the explain option, but like I always do and advice people to, go through every Aleks topic simultanously on KhanAcademy and other tutoring resources.

So, I know the Statistics and other Aleks courses are in-depth and probably if their system is improved and people can't find ways to beat it, then ACE needs to keep them on the list. But, when compared to Study.com, all needed resources, even videos are provided on Study.com so that definately is easier. Not that I've used Study.com before but I stumbled on Study.com last night when searching for a better explanation on the Sample Correlation Coefficient, Study.com Statistics course came up, click on it and it all videos or 95% of it was, atleast I saw that.

When it comes to cheating or beating the system, for any Math course, that's certainly inevitable especially when you're not in a real classroom.
The best thing about ALEKS is that IT'S ONLY $20!!!! So you have basically lost the cost of a pizza if you try it and it doesn't work for you. Also, if you give it a good shot, and get through a good portion (but not all the way to 70%), then I would guess that whatever you try after that (Saylor, Study.com, SL, DSST), will seem easier because you've already learned some of the material (or maybe even a lot of it).

I will say this. My BFF's 19yo daughter, who is a straight-A scholarship student and sophomore at a 4-yr state university here, took Stats last semester. She said it was the hardest course she's ever taken (and she's taken Calc I & II). She then took ALEKS over the Xmas break to stay sharp, you know, for fun. Anyway, she took the initial assessment. And she got a 30%. And said she didn't see half of that stuff in her stats course, which she had just passed with a B+ 2 weeks earlier.

So, apparently, ALEKS may be harder than the average Stats course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would not feel comfortable AT ALL knowing I had to take a final in Stats. The thing I love about ALEKS is that if you bomb the assessment, it doesn't matter. You can do more work and take another. If you bomb the Study final, you're screwed and out $100. I am so very happy to have found ALEKS because I don't know that I would have passed Stats or the other math courses without it. On top of all that, you're also timed on your Study final. So not only do you need to know all the stuff on the final, you need to know how to apply it in the 150 minutes timed test. With ALEKS, you can literally take days to complete one assessment. There's no pressure.
ndelcollo Wrote:I would not feel comfortable AT ALL knowing I had to take a final in Stats. The thing I love about ALEKS is that if you bomb the assessment, it doesn't matter. You can do more work and take another. If you bomb the Study final, you're screwed and out $100. I am so very happy to have found ALEKS because I don't know that I would have passed Stats or the other math courses without it. On top of all that, you're also timed on your Study final. So not only do you need to know all the stuff on the final, you need to know how to apply it in the 150 minutes timed test. With ALEKS, you can literally take days to complete one assessment. There's no pressure.

Speaking of Aleks Stats, would Intro Stats be a better option to start someone on than Business or Behavioral Science Stats?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
There was a huge amount of overlap among the three, but starting with Intro to Stats makes the most sense.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,364 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,490 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,747 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 607 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 684 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM