Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU--Too good to be true??
People that graduated from WGU are working in Fortune 500 companies.

Nobody wants to put in hard work earning a college degree and then find out later that employers will look down on their degree.

Ways you can be discriminated against based on your college choices
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ge-Choices

While your education is important, there are other factors needed to help get you employed
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...u-Employed
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Anyone figured out how to complete the WGU degree from overseas? Not military or Canada.
Especially for temporary digital nomads.

Or can anyone suggest an affordable school that will allow this. Happy holidays to you all.
(12-19-2022, 07:57 PM)lissttt Wrote: Anyone figured out how to complete the WGU degree from overseas? Not military or Canada.

Or can anyone suggest an affordable school that will allow this.  Happy holidays to you all.

You need to be a U.S. citizen with a U.S. address.

You need an Internet that is sufficient enough for proctoring while overseas.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(12-19-2022, 07:57 PM)lissttt Wrote: Anyone figured out how to complete the WGU degree from overseas? Not military or Canada.

Or can anyone suggest an affordable school that will allow this. Happy holidays to you all.

TESU, Excelsior, and UMPI can all be completed from abroad. WGU is the odd duck here.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Degree from WGU? It’s a tool but also reflection of my character. First words on my resume is I GET THINGS DONE! I’m efficient and effective. How I do it, is my own self-evolution. Sure, I will check whatever boxes you want, but I’m more focused on being the person that does awesome things that make a business succeed. 

Respected? Depends on perspectives and comparisons. No or the same experience, and you are up against someone with a degree from MIT or Harvard? Sorry, yes it will matter here and you will be SOL on that one. Against any other state level school? Probably not. It can depend on who is looking at this as well. If the reviewer is an alumni, you may get preference. With so many folks completing degrees from WGU, this can be a huge positive.
(12-19-2022, 08:38 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Or can anyone suggest an affordable school that will allow this.  Happy holidays to you all.

You need to be a U.S. citizen with a U.S. address.

You need an Internet that is sufficient enough for proctoring while overseas.

I don't believe you have to be a US citizen. However, they won't sponsor a student visa, so you would have to be here (and legally allowed to study) some other way, like a green card.

To answer the OPs question, it might be possible to fake being in the US using a US address and a VPN, but I can't say it's a good idea.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long is your credit eval good for Tlm 4 1,555 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Tlm