Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are all of today's teens/20-somethings dealing with entitlement issues?
I think there's a lot to be said about the hiring practices of today's businesses, they're a lot different than they were, even 5 years ago. Management, corporate people, they're getting younger every day.

Why? Put simply, young recent grads are cheaper and more malleable. People with experience demand a certain salary, and a lot of companies don't see the benefit of paying this (not for all positions of course, and I'd argue that the experience requirements are down across the board in nearly any industry).

So, in getting a really good job first, he is securing his future. If he gets another job, he will be led down another path. This is not only because he's lazy and will stop trying...his experience could actually harm his chances.

That being said, he's taking a big risk by waiting. Perhaps he's not as talented as he thinks, or the economy has "raised the bar" because of competition.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
I think if they would have stated in the article that Scott’s parents and/or grandparents spent over $300,000 just preparing the kid for college, then another $200,000 to get him through college, it might have added a little more perspective to the story. Hardly fair to title this story “American Dream Is Elusive For New Generation” and use this person as the poster child.

Who is Scott Nicholson and what is he doing now?

Scott Nicholson | LinkedIn

He graduated from Colgate which was $50K a year paid entirely by his Grandfather. What is the other school listed in under education? A private school that charges $14,500 for kindergarten and upwards of $20-25K a year for grades 1-12.

Bancroft School: Tuition & Fees

Since the article he worked for Wetzel Group for 8 months

http://fa.morganstanleyindividual.com/th...c=pdGoogle

Now he works for Forrester Research as an Account Development Manager

Working at Forrester Research | Glassdoor.com
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Honestly, this guy reminds me a little of my brother :o He went to George Mason, my dad spent a small fortune on his degree in Sports Mgmt (or something of that nature,) and he had an opportunity to start at the ground level at a super training place, but passed it up because he wanted to dive right in. He cycled through jobs, such as selling decks, for 10+ years and ended up as an insurance agent. He makes good money and is fairly happy (actually just switched companies for better pay and position,) but isn't doing anything with his degree. If he had taken the ground level job when he graduated, he might be running the place by now.

The rest of us children have a different mother and have run our lives far differently :p

And I'd just like to throw it out there that because my sister grudgingly chose to live at home & work full time for about 3 years after graduating, she was able to buy a house instead of burning money in an apartment Wink
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Geezer Wrote:I think if they would have stated in the article that Scott’s parents and/or grandparents spent over $300,000 just preparing the kid for college, then another $200,000 to get him through college, it might have added a little more perspective to the story. Hardly fair to title this story “American Dream Is Elusive For New Generation” and use this person as the poster child.

Who is Scott Nicholson and what is he doing now?

Scott Nicholson | LinkedIn

He graduated from Colgate which was $50K a year paid entirely by his Grandfather. What is the other school listed in under education? A private school that charges $14,500 for kindergarten and upwards of $20-25K a year for grades 1-12.

Bancroft School: Tuition & Fees

Since the article he worked for Wetzel Group for 8 months

http://fa.morganstanleyindividual.com/th...c=pdGoogle

Now he works for Forrester Research as an Account Development Manager

Working at Forrester Resear

ch | Glassdoor.com

He has been out of college for 3 years and has only worked for 1 year. Wow..... I blame Colgate. I know several people that have gone there and they just can not get over themselves. His parents should have put all of this money away and invested it so he could have something to live on forever. Smile
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Quote:His parents should have put all of this money away and invested it so he could have something to live on forever.

Exactly!!! The Elusive American Dream???? Give me a break.....This kid has lived the American Dream like no one else for 24 years!!!

I imagine he already has a sizable nest egg from his grandfather to pull from. Hopefully he hasn't blown through that.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:Exactly!!! The Elusive American Dream???? Give me a break.....This kid has lived the American Dream like no one else for 24 years!!!

I imagine he already has a sizable nest egg from his grandfather to pull from. Hopefully he hasn't blown through that.

It was painful to look at his Linkedin page. Painful :leaving:
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Am I the only one that has stayed off Linked In? I am forbidden by my employer from doing almost anything on Linked In anyway.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chess robot programming issues... bjcheung77 2 412 07-25-2022, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  PSA: FYI - ModernStates site having issues bjcheung77 7 674 04-26-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Pixel 6 - I am eyeing this phone today! bjcheung77 3 666 11-28-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DegreeForum having issues? bjcheung77 4 812 05-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Free Udemy-Practical Ethical Hacking course-today Imbanewbie 4 1,394 04-04-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Snow Day! No school today! bjcheung77 0 905 01-15-2020, 01:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  FREE Udemy - Learn Python Programming! (Free offer ends today!) bjcheung77 2 1,055 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  my book is free today! cookderosa 2 1,020 10-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,239 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Degreeforum Connection Issues? quigongene 1 1,181 11-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: davewill