Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any online colleges with recorded or live video lectures?
(11-16-2023, 03:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Actually, davewill is correct, most institutions will require much more work than the Excelsior/TESU capstone courses alone.  For UMPI and other competency based programs, there are significant writing portions as well for the remaining 30 credits.  You really need to decide if you're wanting to transfer the max 113/114 credits with Excelsior/TESU, or transfer a max of 90 credits at PUG, UMPI, WGU, etc.

Okay, can you tell me if the cornerstone for TESU for computer science major requires a lot of writing or little writing and if you have to cite research papers or if citing articles are okay?

I think one person already said here that you can do the capstone at edX with this degree. My follow up question to that is: Can you take the capstone class at edX as many as you need to if you fail. Of course I'm not going to intentionally fail, but after trying if I do it's nice to know that you can re-take the class, especially as many times as someone might need to.

I'm looking at all my options and trying to see which one's going to be the easiest for me, and maybe I can finish as quickly as possible. Thanks a lot.
(11-17-2023, 02:09 AM)whiverem Wrote:
(11-16-2023, 03:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Actually, davewill is correct, most institutions will require much more work than the Excelsior/TESU capstone courses alone.  For UMPI and other competency based programs, there are significant writing portions as well for the remaining 30 credits.  You really need to decide if you're wanting to transfer the max 113/114 credits with Excelsior/TESU, or transfer a max of 90 credits at PUG, UMPI, WGU, etc.

Okay, can you tell me if the cornerstone for TESU for computer science major requires a lot of writing or little writing and if you have to cite research papers or if citing articles are okay?

I think one person already said here that you can do the capstone at edX with this degree. My follow up question to that is: Can you take the capstone class at edX as many as you need to if you fail. Of course I'm not going to intentionally fail, but after trying if I do it's nice to know that you can re-take the class, especially as many times as someone might need to.

I'm looking at all my options and trying to see which one's going to be the easiest for me, and maybe I can finish as quickly as possible. Thanks a lot.

You've got it backwards, it's the cornerstone that can be done at EdX if you're doing the BACS. If you search around here, a couple of people have done it there and may have reported on the effort required. It's a "Introduction to College" type of course and the writing should not be too bad, but I never actually took the cornerstone and can't tell you first hand. I don't see why you couldn't retake if you fail, but it's $500, so you don't really want to retake if you can help it. Besides, getting at least a C in any course is usually not that high a bar to clear.

The capstone for the BACS has to be done at TESU. It's a 25 page research paper, with formal references and citations. The whole 12 week class is spent on the one paper, you turn in drafts of the separate chapters as you go, then the final paper at the end. TESU gives you online access to the New Jersey State Library, and it's entirely possible to do all the research online via the TESU platform. There are online tools available to help you format all the references properly. There is a lot of repetition in the paper, which makes it easier than 25 pages sounds. Each chapter has introductory and conclusive sections and addresses your chosen research questions.

If you pay attention to the feedback from the mentor, they pretty much guide you through the whole process. If you put in the effort, you should be able to pass.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jch, whiverem
(11-17-2023, 11:44 AM)davewill Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 02:09 AM)whiverem Wrote:

You've got it backwards, it's the cornerstone that can be done at EdX if you're doing the BACS. If you search around here, a couple of people have done it there and may have reported on the effort required. It's a "Introduction to College" type of course and the writing should not be too bad, but I never actually took the cornerstone and can't tell you first hand. I don't see why you couldn't retake if you fail, but it's $500, so you don't really want to retake if you can help it. Besides, getting at least a C in any course is usually not that high a bar to clear.

The capstone for the BACS has to be done at TESU. It's a 25 page research paper, with formal references and citations. The whole 12 week class is spent on the one paper, you turn in drafts of the separate chapters as you go, then the final paper at the end. TESU gives you online access to the New Jersey State Library, and it's entirely possible to do all the research online via the TESU platform. There are online tools available to help you format all the references properly. There is a lot of repetition in the paper, which makes it easier than 25 pages sounds. Each chapter has introductory and conclusive sections and addresses your chosen research questions.

If you pay attention to the feedback from the mentor, they pretty much guide you through the whole process. If you put in the effort, you should be able to pass.

rachel83az earlier in this thread seems to say that you can do the capstone for the computer science major at TESU at edX instead of TESU if you want to. Are you saying this isn't true? Thank you.
You're right, I did say capstone. I meant cornerstone. The cornerstone at TESU isn't a lot of writing, AFAIK, but the edX cornerstone is even less (possibly no) writing. I think bjcheung77 has taken the edX version.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • whiverem
You can take the cornerstone at Edx, it'll transfer in properly to the AAS Applied Computer Studies and also the BACS. If you're doing the flat rate, you can do the Associates Capstone, Bachelors Capstone, and three E-Packs or easy classes to waive the residency fee. Plus the Edx course was amazingly fast, I completed it without any issues at all...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • whiverem
(11-17-2023, 05:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You can take the cornerstone at Edx, it'll transfer in properly to the AAS Applied Computer Studies and also the BACS.  If you're doing the flat rate, you can do the Associates Capstone, Bachelors Capstone, and three E-Packs or easy classes to waive the residency fee.  Plus the Edx course was amazingly fast, I completed it without any issues at all...

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Liberty University Online Degree plan LevelUP 3 1,245 06-15-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What are the best online colleges? whiverem 10 1,281 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of North Alabama online BBA ReyMysterioso 2 816 05-15-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Self-paced online that uses physical textbooks? pluggingalong 6 1,210 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 852 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,462 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Drexel University - Certificate in Leadership ($199 Online) w/Certificate attached Life Long Learning 23 4,512 01-10-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
Lightbulb Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org) MNomadic 123 18,995 10-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Self-paced online degree? (web or film) pluggingalong 23 3,111 09-23-2022, 01:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is ASU Online now self-paced? pluggingalong 6 2,063 09-19-2022, 06:41 PM
Last Post: NC Coach