Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA History (Experienced student)
(08-09-2023, 07:55 PM)grogers14 Wrote:
(08-08-2023, 01:03 AM)Duneranger Wrote: Also, can anyone recommend the quickest/easiest History courses? I am fairly adaptable topic-wise, my knowledge is pretty broad. Weakest in Asian history probably. I am juggling trying to finish a 15000 word dissertation for my MA...

I took 

HTY489 History of Infectious Disease (Favorite course I've taken in all my college coursework because I love medical history)
POS343 Marxism 
POS335 Modern Political Thought
HTY439 The Vietnam Wars 
HTY/POS370 The Arab-Israeli conflict 

And they were all short and all with Dr Zaborney. 2-3 "Units" each and only 2 "Milestones" and then the finals were a mere 1500 word essay in APA format.  His style is more so let the student enjoy the class and just demonstrate they at least learned something. For POS335 Modern Political Thought, the prompt in the final assessment is so, so , so vague and I think it was on purpose so students could just write about close to anything they want as long as it relates to the course.  He also checks the online courses EVERY day which makes them go faster. In YourPace, one of the major factors in your speed is the waiting on professors to grade. Zaborney is fast, but , some of the Humanities  & Bus. professors take a little longer.

Interesting that he wants APA and not Chicago. I am much better at APA so I am not complaining. Guessing you were the polysci concentration?
(08-05-2023, 12:30 AM)Duneranger Wrote: Hi all,

STEM background with BS/MS/doctorate and almost a complete MA in Classics/Ancient history. I want a BA in history to round things out.

Couple questions:

1. I am considering other online history programs like SNHU, IU, OSU,  ASU, LSU ect. Is there anything that stands out about UMPI? I get its competency-based, but I don't want to just blow through it to get a degree. I want to learn. I have my career, this is just for personal growth.

2. I reviewed the gen eds and it seems like I am just missing a couple including a language. I have read on here that Sophis is ideal. Is that still the case? I also need a hands-on art class haha. I avoided that one years ago with Art history. Is UMPI better for this?

3. I am assuming all of my credits will transfer. Given that, I have 30 credits I need to take. I prefer HIST over Poly sci. Any classes that people enjoyed? Or is the selection pretty meager? I saw the list and it doesn't seem to change? I am an ancient history guy and I saw there weren't a ton of different offerings.

4. Anything else for me???

Thanks

I just completed my History concentrations today actually and I'm sad to be done with UMPI.  I emailed today to see if I could continue and complete the Poli Sci Concentrations for anything, either double major or minor (I have no clue if they let us do this).

I believe that with Dr. Siebold you will really LEARN history, and she loves talking about topics via email with you, if it's something you're keen on.
(08-10-2023, 05:44 PM)sandraschuld Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 12:30 AM)Duneranger Wrote: Hi all,

STEM background with BS/MS/doctorate and almost a complete MA in Classics/Ancient history. I want a BA in history to round things out.

Couple questions:

1. I am considering other online history programs like SNHU, IU, OSU,  ASU, LSU ect. Is there anything that stands out about UMPI? I get its competency-based, but I don't want to just blow through it to get a degree. I want to learn. I have my career, this is just for personal growth.

2. I reviewed the gen eds and it seems like I am just missing a couple including a language. I have read on here that Sophis is ideal. Is that still the case? I also need a hands-on art class haha. I avoided that one years ago with Art history. Is UMPI better for this?

3. I am assuming all of my credits will transfer. Given that, I have 30 credits I need to take. I prefer HIST over Poly sci. Any classes that people enjoyed? Or is the selection pretty meager? I saw the list and it doesn't seem to change? I am an ancient history guy and I saw there weren't a ton of different offerings.

4. Anything else for me???

Thanks

I just completed my History concentrations today actually and I'm sad to be done with UMPI.  I emailed today to see if I could continue and complete the Poli Sci Concentrations for anything, either double major or minor (I have no clue if they let us do this).

I believe that with Dr. Siebold you will really LEARN history, and she loves talking about topics via email with you, if it's something you're keen on.

Awesome! Congrats! What were your favorite/hardest/easiest classes?

The whole history and poly sci thing confuses me as it makes it sort of seem like a double major but its not really
I completed the entire History program in one 7 week session.  I don't think I actually learned anything in the program, but that's more a review of my preexisting knowledge in the subject rather than a critique.  If you are looking for a rapid way to demonstrate substantial knowledge in the field,  this program is excellent.  If you're looking for more knowledge growth however I would recommend an online MA in history.
(08-11-2023, 10:48 PM)knaves Wrote: I completed the entire History program in one 7 week session.  I don't think I actually learned anything in the program, but that's more a review of my preexisting knowledge in the subject rather than a critique.  If you are looking for a rapid way to demonstrate substantial knowledge in the field,  this program is excellent.  If you're looking for more knowledge growth however I would recommend an online MA in history

I am almost done with my MA actually, what were the easiest and quickest courses you took?
(08-10-2023, 12:02 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
(08-08-2023, 01:03 AM)Duneranger Wrote: Also, can anyone recommend the quickest/easiest History courses? I am fairly adaptable topic-wise, my knowledge is pretty broad. Weakest in Asian history probably. I am juggling trying to finish a 15000 word dissertation for my MA...

I took 

HTY489 History of Infectious Disease (Favorite course I've taken in all my college coursework because I love medical history)
POS343 Marxism 
HTY439 The Vietnam Wars 

And they were all short and all with Dr Zaborney. 2-3 "Units" each and only 2 "Milestones" and then the finals were a mere 1500 word essay in APA format.  His style is more so let the student enjoy the class and just demonstrate they at least learned something. For POS335 Modern Political Thought, the prompt in the final assessment is so, so , so vague and I think it was on purpose so students could just write about close to anything they want as long as it relates to the course.  He also checks the online courses EVERY day which makes them go faster. In YourPace, one of the major factors in your speed is the waiting on professors to grade. Zaborney is fast, but , some of the Humanities  & Bus. professors take a little longer.

Interesting that he wants APA and not Chicago. I am much better at APA so I am not complaining. Guessing you were the polysci concentration?

I did the BLS program with the required minor in MGMT, but I added a minor in Social Studies since I was only four classes away. A majority of the courses require APA, so youre in luck !

University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI): BLS (Minors in MGMT,  Project MGMT,  Social Studies, Business Administration)
(08-10-2023, 12:02 AM)Duneranger Wrote:

I took 

POS343 Marxism 
HTY439 The Vietnam Wars 

I think I did Chicago for my history classes and APA for my political science at UMPI. I also did APA through most of grad school (political science), although now that I'm working on my thesis I'm doing APSA, which is basically a combination of Chicago and APA: in text citations, formatted a bit different than APA, and alphabetical reference list, but references formatted in a slightly altered Chicago style. Sigh.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New student student777 2 273 03-13-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BA history help Ericfun3456 4 424 02-06-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Do you need both Art History I & II to fulfill 2E requirement? Michelle779 7 554 01-19-2024, 12:50 PM
  Mayday! One more course for History minor: what are my options? Junco 5 463 12-03-2023, 07:36 PM
  Good UL credits on Brightspace? (not history/poli sci) umpidawg10 7 1,029 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: umpidawg10
  Planning advice and strategy - student seeking to do a second degree at UMPI kaa314 9 1,290 10-26-2023, 02:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Art class, Art History Sara143 25 1,641 09-21-2023, 11:34 AM
  One last UL History class... Duneranger 0 338 09-15-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Question About Minor, History/Poli Sci MichaelDoesMarketing 6 574 09-14-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MichaelDoesMarketing
  Student ID Card & Sophia Question & LO 2D Updated DolceDolce 4 612 09-10-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: tsgreer