Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in Business: Excelsior or TESC?
My wife has 100 credits. She will try to CLEP and take online the other courses that she needs to get to 120.

As far as cost is concerned, should she go with Excelsior or TESC? Details?

Thanks,

Fred
There are many threads on the forum already covering this, and I recommend you find and read all of them. There are quite a few factors that will go into your decision, and I have forgotten most of them, so please don't consider what I have to say as anywhere near complete.

I earned my BS in General Business from Excelsior College this past June. I was very happy with the services EC provided -- the web site, the advisors, the catalogs, the online library, etc. I found the costs very reasonable. The main advantages for me over TESC were that EC gives letter grades, which affect GPA, for DSST and ECE exams, and my understanding is that TESC does not. Also EC has a reputation of being somewhat easier to deal with -- which is not to say that TESC is bad in that area.

Some factors in TESC's favor:
  • TESC gives upper-level credit for 200-level courses in many cases
  • TESC awards credit directly for FEMA on-line courses
  • TESC's per-semester plan may be a good deal if you plan to take courses
  • EC requires you to take the Business Strategy on-line course -- TESC has a TECEP exam for their Business Policy requirement

That's what I can think of right now. Again, find and read the existing threads on the subject, and feel free to post specific follow-up questions.

-Gary-
You are trying to compare apples to oranges. The requirements for each degree, although similar, are not the same. Overall, they are priced similarly enough, that other factors may determine your final decision.

If she has 100 credits, you really need to look at exactly what credits she has and what credits she will need to finish either program. You need to first determine the least amount of courses required to fulfill each program, then determine the cost and time required to complete each requirement.

Thomas Edison State College | BSBA in General Management Credit Distribution

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...l_Business
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
gcalvin Wrote:There are many threads on the forum already covering this, and I recommend you find and read all of them. There are quite a few factors that will go into your decision, and I have forgotten most of them, so please don't consider what I have to say as anywhere near complete.

I earned my BS in General Business from Excelsior College this past June. I was very happy with the services EC provided -- the web site, the advisors, the catalogs, the online library, etc. I found the costs very reasonable. The main advantages for me over TESC were that EC gives letter grades, which affect GPA, for DSST and ECE exams, and my understanding is that TESC does not. Also EC has a reputation of being somewhat easier to deal with -- which is not to say that TESC is bad in that area.

Some factors in TESC's favor:
  • TESC gives upper-level credit for 200-level courses in many cases
  • TESC awards credit directly for FEMA on-line courses
  • TESC's per-semester plan may be a good deal if you plan to take courses
  • EC requires you to take the Business Strategy on-line course -- TESC has a TECEP exam for their Business Policy requirement

That's what I can think of right now. Again, find and read the existing threads on the subject, and feel free to post specific follow-up questions.

-Gary-

does Excelsior take TESC business policy credit for its business strategy course?
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
creationstory Wrote:does Excelsior take TESC business policy credit for its business strategy course?

Not anymore. Only Excelsior's course will do. I was lucky enough to take it on the 31st of August, the last allowed date for those who enrolled before the requirements changed.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
Hello!!

Today I just passed my first clep tests (US History I and II) and I'm really excited about the whole testing thing. My problem lies in the fact that I do not yet know what to go for. My original plan was I wanted to get a BA in Marketing from TESC. And then get a MBA or MS from another school. The problem with this is for TESC I would have to take Statistics and Precal, and I cannot see myself ever passing those. I would also have to take a business class that I would have to pay alot of money for.

I was also thinking of getting a degree from charter oak in business admin, but I do not like the general studies degree.

I would like a career in Marketing where I can be creative and travel..and I would like to go to grad school for that.

My current thinking is..getting a Psychology degree from TESC (which i've always had a high interest in) It would only require one math class (algebra..which I could test out of)

If I were to get that degree...would I then be able to go to a Masters program and get an MBA or MS? or would I have to go for a school for psychology? I would think that having a grasp on psychology would be good for a career in marketing....

Thanks,

Keith
I sent you a private message. Fred

Capribra Wrote:Hello!!

Today I just passed my first clep tests (US History I and II) and I'm really excited about the whole testing thing. My problem lies in the fact that I do not yet know what to go for. My original plan was I wanted to get a BA in Marketing from TESC. And then get a MBA or MS from another school. The problem with this is for TESC I would have to take Statistics and Precal, and I cannot see myself ever passing those. I would also have to take a business class that I would have to pay alot of money for.

I was also thinking of getting a degree from charter oak in business admin, but I do not like the general studies degree.

I would like a career in Marketing where I can be creative and travel..and I would like to go to grad school for that.

My current thinking is..getting a Psychology degree from TESC (which i've always had a high interest in) It would only require one math class (algebra..which I could test out of)

If I were to get that degree...would I then be able to go to a Masters program and get an MBA or MS? or would I have to go for a school for psychology? I would think that having a grasp on psychology would be good for a career in marketing....

Thanks,

Keith

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,621 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,798 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,857 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,614 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,265 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,406 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 944 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32