Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in English – Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration
So, UMPI looks great.
I don't know anymore if they accept international students.

I'm looking at a BA in English – Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration.
I think this is very hard to transfer in, and I need many courses from Umpi? (more than the minimum of 30 credits).

Also, I'm wondering if this program needs a lot of essay writing what slow's the course progress down.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetsugarNL's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-22-2021, 09:49 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: So, UMPI looks great.

I'm looking at a BA in English – Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration.
I think this is very hard to transfer in, and I need many courses from Umpi? (more than the minimum of 30 credits).

Also, I'm wondering if this program needs a lot of essay writing what slow's the course progress down.

Yes, UMPI does accept international students. They have pages on the regular UMPI website about it. 

You will need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. They offer every course required for the degree so it's not a problem if you're missing something.

Yes, most classes have papers. Every class has a Final Assessment. The Final Assessment is a paper, project, or exam. Most classes are papers. There are quizzes throughout each course as well. The quizzes aren't graded. They are not included in your final grade. The Final Assessment is the only assignment for the entire course. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(03-22-2021, 10:02 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 09:49 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: So, UMPI looks great.

Yes, UMPI does accept international students. They have pages on the regular UMPI website about it. 

You will need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. They offer every course required for the degree so it's not a problem if you're missing something.

Yes, most classes have papers. Every class has a Final Assessment. The Final Assessment is a paper, project, or exam. Most classes are papers. There are quizzes throughout each course as well. The quizzes aren't graded. They are not included in your final grade. The Final Assessment is the only assignment for the entire course. 

Yes, I thought that they accept international students.
I think it is hard to transfer as much as possible for this program.
COMPLETED

Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 

Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(03-22-2021, 10:07 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Yes, I thought that they accept international students.
I think it is hard to transfer as much as possible for this program.

Keep in mind that the 30 credits is the bare minimum. Most of us completed many more. I completed 48 credits at UMPI in 3 terms. Everyone has to complete the GEC (UMPI's gen eds) and the UL courses. You must complete the vast majority of the UL credits at UMPI. Many majors also have a minimum number of credits which much be completed at UMPI. You can complete as many courses as you can in a term. You can complete most of the GEC through Sophia and a few of the general electives as well. I wouldn't complete the English Comp 1 or 2 class on Sophia. They're far less work and much faster at UMPI. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
If i read it well i need to do college algebra and statistisc? Yes im not sure if i can complete more courses then two in a month.
COMPLETED

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(03-22-2021, 11:54 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: If i read it well i need to do college algebra and statistisc? Yes im not sure if i can complete more courses then two in a month.

You will need at least one math class to fulfill the GEC. A term at UMPI is 8 weeks so 2 months. Some classes are really easy and others take more effort. They're not all equal.
(03-22-2021, 11:54 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: If i read it well i need to do college algebra and statistisc? Yes im not sure if i can complete more courses then two in a month.

If you can't complete more than 2 courses per month, you may want to rethink UMPI; especially this particular degree.  If you have to take 30+ credits there, that means that you'll take 5 months/3 terms minimum to do 30cr.  If you have to do more credits, you're looking at more terms, and at that point it starts to be expensive.

Here's some prices to think about, if you were to take 90cr through Sophia, Study.com, other alternative providers:

COSC tuition & fees for 6cr: $3,181
ONU 24cr $1,200
TOTAL for 30cr $4,381

UMPI 3 terms $4,200
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
EC tuition & fees for 7cr $5,300
Additional courses via alt credit will vary

UMPI 4 terms $5,600
TESU tuition & fees for 6cr $7,854
ONU 24cr $1,200
TOTAL for 30cr $7,854

UMPI 5 terms $7,000
UMPI 6 terms $8,400

So really, you need to see what you can bring in, and what it will cost and how long it will take to finish your degree at each school.  I would do a detailed degree plan for each school to see what you think you can do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
Bear in mind that ONU may or may not accept international students and that's the cheapest way to meet the UL English requirements. Otherwise, that's another thousand or so for BYU UL English credits. Once you count the full cost of everything, even 6 terms at UMPI is still going to be cheaper than an English degree from TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-22-2021, 12:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Bear in mind that ONU may or may not accept international students and that's the cheapest way to meet the UL English requirements. Otherwise, that's another thousand or so for BYU UL English credits. Once you count the full cost of everything, even 6 terms at UMPI is still going to be cheaper than an English degree from TESU.

You have to complete the majority of your UL's at UMPI. It's actually on your degree program form how many must be completed at UMPI. There's not a ton of UL English courses required so I would be careful taking UL's elsewhere. 

BYU courses are not cheap so I'm always hesitant to say to take them.For the price of UMPI tuition, I wouldn't take BYU courses. I looked on StraighterLine and Study and don't see courses that would transfer in for the English courses. The course descriptions are pretty specific. A lot of community colleges offer American Lit and British Lit. Oddly, neither one of them is a requirement in this degree. It is an interesting mix of communications and English courses. It's kind of funky - not in a bad way. It definitely seems like a unique program.
I'm looking at COSC as well. I'm a writer in my country and I have a lot of communication credits. I hope when I'm evaluating this it's around 30 but that's not sure of course. So for me, it is a choice between "cheap" (COSC bals) or more my interest. But since English is my second language I'm not sure if a English degree is the right fit.
COMPLETED

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PCJ 215 Business Communication Mom5 32 3,183 01-28-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Major Graduates ashkir 0 271 01-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Double majoring and adding a second concentration glutentag 5 577 11-26-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI English degree planning NJgirl 4 622 11-07-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: NJgirl
  SDC English Comp 2 BigJohn1975 12 689 08-22-2023, 02:26 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  CLEP English Composition counting as a RA credit? tallis 11 698 07-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tallis
  PCS 215 Business Communication or Com 210 • Oral Communications Sara143 5 996 07-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Sara143
  Best English Comp provider kylan11 11 1,438 06-14-2023, 08:04 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UMPI English Degree wilsjano 2 859 03-15-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Yourpace English class mickey20 4 976 02-20-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: mickey20