Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BABA vs BLS?
Looking into getting either a BABA or BLS from UMPI, I'm working on Sophia courses right now. Do you think a future employer would look down upon a BLS, instead of a BABA degree? I kind of have this insecurity about having a "Liberal Studies" degree. Do you think this assumption holds any water?
Depends what you do for a career. I have both the BLS and a BABA. I'm in grad school so both are irrelevant really. Having the BABA waived prerequisites for my MBA at my university.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Jackiessuccess
BLS requires 24UL credits outside the major. With this requirement, it isn't much work to get the BABA.

For people with lots of RA credits to transfer in, the BLS is usually quicker since it has more room for electives.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
If you want to work in business, then you should get a BABA. If you don't really NEED a business degree, then you can do whatever.

I'd look at the kind of jobs you want and see if they are looking for a business degree or ANY degree. That will be your best guide.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • allvia
You might just be looking at this from a "job prospect" view, you may want to ask yourself what your future educational goal is. If you want to do something along the lines of Business in the future, a Business undergrad may be a good prep for an MBA, or Masters in Leadership, Management, etc. If you're looking to get into the Arts/Sciences and major in a specific subject, getting the BLS would be fine. I would go for a minor of your choice in the courses/subjects that you find interesting.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-30-2022, 06:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You might just be looking at this from a "job prospect" view, you may want to ask yourself what your future educational goal is.  If you want to do something along the lines of Business in the future, a Business undergrad may be a good prep for an MBA, or Masters in Leadership, Management, etc.  If you're looking to get into the Arts/Sciences and major in a specific subject, getting the BLS would be fine.  I would go for a minor of your choice in the courses/subjects that you find interesting.

Honestly I initially wanted something IT related, but UMPI doesn't offer any technical majors. And the one school on here that does(WGU), doesn't allow 90 credits to transfer. At this point I'd take a check box degree though

By the way. thank you all for the answers
(05-01-2022, 03:48 PM)IceSparkle Wrote: Honestly I initially wanted something IT related, but UMPI doesn't offer any technical majors. And the one school on here that does(WGU), doesn't allow 90 credits to transfer. At this point I'd take a check box degree though

In that case then I would go for the BA Business Administration with Project Management Concentration. You'll learn managerial, leadership, and project management skills which you can use in an IT job. You can fill in your gaps with certifications outside of UMPI or go onto grad school in IT.
(05-01-2022, 03:48 PM)IceSparkle Wrote: Honestly I initially wanted something IT related, but UMPI doesn't offer any technical majors. And the one school on here that does(WGU), doesn't allow 90 credits to transfer. At this point I'd take a check box degree though

WGU does allow 90 credits of transfer into their IT programs. You'll need to add certifications in some programs if you want to get near 90.

If you max out credit transfers, you have 6 months to do 7-8 courses + the Capstone. You can ask for an extension if the Capstone is all you have left.

With 20hrs working on your studies, it's possible to get it done in 1 term.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-01-2022, 08:52 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

WGU does allow 90 credits of transfer into their IT programs. You'll need to add certifications in some programs if you want to get near 90.

If you max out credit transfers, you have 6 months to do 7-8 courses + the Capstone. You can ask for an extension if the Capstone is all you have left.

With 20hrs working on your studies, it's possible to get it done in 1 term.

@IceSparkle - as LevelUP pointed out WGU Does allow 90 credits to be transfered in. You may want to look at the Wiki for WGU plans  - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:WGU
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Vle045
(05-01-2022, 03:48 PM)IceSparkle Wrote:
(04-30-2022, 06:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You might just be looking at this from a "job prospect" view, you may want to ask yourself what your future educational goal is.  If you want to do something along the lines of Business in the future, a Business undergrad may be a good prep for an MBA, or Masters in Leadership, Management, etc.  If you're looking to get into the Arts/Sciences and major in a specific subject, getting the BLS would be fine.  I would go for a minor of your choice in the courses/subjects that you find interesting.

Honestly I initially wanted something IT related, but UMPI doesn't offer any technical majors. And the one school on here that does(WGU), doesn't allow 90 credits to transfer. At this point I'd take a check box degree though

Why arent you interested in this degree at UMPI- its exactly what you want  https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-man...minor.aspx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick UMPI BABA to BAS switch denied anthonyk02 12 868 02-24-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  BABA v BLS Project Management - All Sophia Jbpooles1024 5 811 02-04-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan Help (Advice) 4KJB 1 523 01-18-2024, 08:10 PM
  UMPI BABA Inquiry jeremyeugenejames 5 624 12-20-2023, 10:41 PM
  Need Help With BABA Marketing Class selection rrrr 5 490 12-17-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BABA MAT 140 Requirement and Learning Objective 3A, 3B - Covered by Sophia Calculus? FM1 13 1,157 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ishady
  UMPI BABA Degree Plan, did I miss anything? tlassit018 10 930 10-25-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tlassit018
  BABA in Management and Leadership course difficulty ranking BigJohn1975 12 1,460 10-04-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  UMPI BABA LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT PROGRAM. Gijaodola 20 1,613 09-17-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  BABA PM help. wildfree 1 291 09-12-2023, 04:16 PM